Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

Read through a few pages on their fan site.  They've already marked down win 11 (I don't blame them) and they're pissed (I don't blame them).  Imagine if we went 10-3 and beat Toledo in the MAC Championship and our reward was the Detroit Bowl vs. 6-5 Georgia State.  I did find it curious that they have a similar argument about attendance, though there's not a 4,214 page thread about it.  Pretty much dismisses the "weather" factor if FAU is averaging 10k-ish per game.

I hate this matchup for us, though from a media attention standpoint, it's probably the best we could do.  I expect the Zips to be double-digit underdogs (14-17 points), but hope we can get healthy enough to pull something off like the OU game.  8-6 is worlds better than 7-7.

Can't say I really know much about FAU outside of Lane, their record, their loss to Buffalo, and the fact that they seemingly have half of the Last Chance U players on their roster. I don't think the C-USA is too tough though...I would like to dig a little deeper before I go around predicting results. I doubt most of us have really watched them play, either.

Edited by LZIp

Boca is a great site for the Zips. The University is @2 miles from the beach and there are ton's of things to do (best offshore fishing in the world for Terry if he can find time). I wonder if the team will be staying at the Boca Raton Resort and Club (I've stayed there and it is nice). A family member of mine was an AT at FAU and I was able to see that the Owls kept a Central Mich. helmet in the center of their locker room as a trophy for a year after their Motor City bowl victory over the Chips. Lets hope the Zips don't let that happen. They have a new stadium, but their campus is not as nice as Akron's believe it or not.        

Edited by UA1987

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I did find it curious that they have a similar argument about attendance, though there's not a 4,214 page thread about it.  Pretty much dismisses the "weather" factor if FAU is averaging 10k-ish per game.

I know.  That's because weather is not a factor. 

Having "THE U" so close is probably hard for them to get any attention.  Try to tell the big college football fans in the Boca/Ft. Lauderdale area that C-USA football is just as worthy as ACC Football.    Until they start doing some big things other than beating C-USA opponents, that won't change.  

Some of their fans probably wear Miami gear to their games too, and pack the nearby bars to watch the Miami games.  

We sympathize.  

Working through some logistics, but I think I should make it for kickoff.  #bocabowl 

Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl: Florida Atlantic vs. Akron

(7 pm on ESPN at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Florida) The good news for Terry Bowden's team is it gets to escape frigid northeast Ohio for South Florida. The bad news is it faces the Lane Train and its record-setting offense in its home station. After allowing 45 points to Toledo in the MAC title game, Akron's defense will have another tough game. Prediction: FAU 45, Akron 27

Had to look this stuff (Cheribundi) up.

Chiming-in as an FAU fan - feel free to ask questions if you want.  The general disappointment from our fan base was not that we expected some huge bowl, but we had been projected for much of the last 4 or 5 weeks to play in probably the St. Pete bowl against USF or an outside chance to play in the Independence Bowl against FSU.  Both the St. Pete and Boca Bowls are supposed to be CUSA and AAC teams, so the most likely destination for us was going to be St. Pete because our own administration is on record saying playing in Boca would be a last choice regardless of opponent.  Playing FSU or USF no doubt was our dream scenario given 95% of our players come from the state of FL.

Earlier in the day yesterday it was reported by credible sources (Brett McMurphy and other sites) that we were going to be in the Boca Bowl against Temple (AAC).  That was already being seen as a bit of a letdown, to stay at home but then that went away in a last-minute deal and Akron is the opponent.  Now all either side can do is get ready to showcase themselves as the only game on ESPN that day.  Safe travels for anybody who comes down.

Edited by FAU_dad
  • Like 1

FAU fans seems a little full of themselves for them historically being one of the few programs about as bad as Akron in their D1 time. They are no Toledo. If I was an Akron fan i would LOVE having our bowl game be at home. I hope the coaching staff and players have the same attitude towards it as they do.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, FAU_dad said:

Earlier in the day yesterday it was reported by credible sources (Brett McMurphy and other sites) that we were going to be in the Boca Bowl against Temple (AAC).  That was already being seen as a bit of a letdown, to stay at home but then that went away in a last-minute deal and Akron is the opponent.  Now all either side can do is get ready to showcase themselves as the only game on ESPN that day.  Safe travels for anybody who comes down.

Thanks for sharing!  Yeah it was very interesting, we had a very similar situation here saying that we were going to another Bowl, and then suddenly announced the Boca Raton Bowl.  Which is obviously a step up in the $$$ department, ($300k).

It really is funny for us - the Boca Bowl has a lower payout (I actually think it is $400k) than if we went to St. Pete, but of course we would have had some expenses if we went to any other location.  For the 3rd year in a row, the CUSA champion is playing in Boca, but there was this idea that the team should be rewarded with more of a "bowl experience" for having the best season in the history of the program and as outright conference champions we got to pick the bowl - if that were true we would be heading to St. Pete for a weekend game rather than a Tuesday night.

CUSA bowl tie-ins:

Boca

St. Pete

New Orleans

Bahamas

New Mexico

Heart of Dallas

Secondary to Independence (much higher payout)

I can tell you as a transplant from NC you will love the weather.  FAU also has a very pretty stadium, nice campus (most buildings are new), a view of the Atlantic from our pressbox, and a ton of shopping, restaurants, etc.  All of that relatively close to West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, or Miami if you want to venture out.  I live in Orlando, and it is about a 3-hour drive from my house (less from the amusement parks) if you make a longer stay out of the trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjapsu said:

They really need to outlaw teams playing in bowl games at their home stadiums. It seems to be more prevalent in Florida too... FAU @ FAU, Miami @ Miami...

There are only so many stadiums to go around, let alone stadiums in desirable locations with weather that promotes fan turnout. 

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

FAU fans seems a little full of themselves for them historically being one of the few programs about as bad as Akron in their D1 time. They are no Toledo. If I was an Akron fan i would LOVE having our bowl game be at home. I hope the coaching staff and players have the same attitude towards it as they do.

Yup. Agree to all.

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Working through some logistics, but I think I should make it for kickoff.  #bocabowl 

Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl: Florida Atlantic vs. Akron

(7 pm on ESPN at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Florida) The good news for Terry Bowden's team is it gets to escape frigid northeast Ohio for South Florida. The bad news is it faces the Lane Train and its record-setting offense in its home station. After allowing 45 points to Toledo in the MAC title game, Akron's defense will have another tough game. Prediction: FAU 45, Akron 27

Had to look this stuff (Cheribundi) up.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area.  Most of Boca is beautiful, but there are some wrong side of the tracks areas as well.  There is also a lot to do here and the weather is absolutely beautiful.  

The Seagate in Delray Beach would be my first choice.  It’s right near the action (beach and nightlife) and you can just Uber to the stadium.

Edited by acstorfer

3 minutes ago, acstorfer said:

Let me know if you have any questions about the area.  Most of Boca is beautiful, but there are some wrong side of the tracks areas as well.  There is also a lot to do here and the weather is absolutely beautiful.  

I might be driving from Miami International the day of the game to be there right at game time. I'm following the traffic now, should I believe an hour drive time?

drive.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I might be driving from Miami International the day of the game to be there right at game time. I'm following the traffic now, should I believe an hour drive time?

drive.jpg

On best conditions you should be able to do it within an hour.  However, with I95 guaranteed conditions is a gamble, especially south of Boca.  Look into flights going in to West Palm Beach as well.  There is less chance of I95 traffic, and if worse comes to worst there’s lots of side streets.  

• Thanks 1