Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

Don't get me wrong @zipsoutsider - I watched parts of your games against Toledo, Kent State, and Ohio (ESPN replays).  If FAU plays the way they have played most of the past 10 weeks I think our offensive weapons and overall speed will be too much and it will be a 3-score type of spread.  We have 5 or more guys who hurt teams running the ball (2 RBs but then the QB, WRs on jet-sweeps or reverses, etc.).  And then when teams load the box we throw it over the top or trick them with something.  We have a defense who has given up some yardage and points, but come up with big plays (sacks and turnovers).  If you guys are not an elite MAC team, I can tell you for a fact at least for this season FAU is head-and-shoulders the best team in CUSA.

But that is why we play the games - nobody wins on stats or what they have done (or haven't done) in past weeks.  It all matters about who shows up on the 19th.  And just like any game, big plays and turnovers can always make a difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FAU_dad said:

Don't get me wrong @zipsoutsider - I watched parts of your games against Toledo, Kent State, and Ohio (ESPN replays).  If FAU plays the way they have played most of the past 10 weeks I think our offensive weapons and overall speed will be too much and it will be a 3-score type of spread.  We have 5 or more guys who hurt teams running the ball (2 RBs but then the QB, WRs on jet-sweeps or reverses, etc.).  And then when teams load the box we throw it over the top or trick them with something.  We have a defense who has given up some yardage and points, but come up with big plays (sacks and turnovers).  If you guys are not an elite MAC team, I can tell you for a fact at least for this season FAU is head-and-shoulders the best team in CUSA.

But that is why we play the games - nobody wins on stats or what they have done (or haven't done) in past weeks.  It all matters about who shows up on the 19th.  And just like any game, big plays and turnovers can always make a difference.

I watched your game against North Texas. You are no Toledo. You make a lot more errors.

• Like 1

Could be - we certainly left 10 or more points on the field in the first quarter with multiple redzone trips, but we still were up 34-0 before we kind of just coasted (similar to what I saw in your championship game with Toledo when they got up really big on you guys).  For those who supposedly know what they are talking about and set odds and point spreads, in the Toledo game you were 20.5 point underdogs.  In the FAU game you are 22.5 point underdogs (by far the biggest spread of any bowl game).  So it would seem Vegas thinks FAU is as good or slightly better than Toledo at least against the Zips.  And if you look at the coach's poll, FAU has 24 votes, Toledo has 21, and Troy has 11.  I never read too much into that poll, but it at least shows we are considered at least equal to those teams.

There are replays of many of our games on Facebook or the Stadium Network, but the only one you can see on the Watch ESPN app is the CUSA Championship.  Here are the highlights from the first time we played North Texas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wAj6-4k5Q&feature=onebox.  We had 55 points in the 3rd quarter, and they scored 2 fourth quarter TDs including their last one with about 30 seconds left in the game.  Some of the guys you will see running or catching passes in this highlight did not play in the championship game, but will be back for the bowl.

Let’s just play the game, good luck to FAU but I don’t give a ? about any of that ?, you won 10 games & have coach with a name so you are getting some love, you beat nobody, Troy beat LSU & Toledo won 11 games an hung with Miami, had a bad game against Ohio

We haven’t done ? yet, maybe it starts on December 19th

GO ZIPS ? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FAU_dad said:

After watching the FG at the 2:12 mark in the video, I no longer like our chances. Clearly you guys use witchcraft, at least in your kicking game. 

I also haven't heard whether or not our delayed draw play has been removed from the playbook yet. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just some fun stats

FAU point differential +203

Akron Point Differential - 35 

FAU Conference Point Differential +177

Akron Conference Point Differential +17

S&P Computer ranking's (unbiased computers)

FAU -  12 

Akron -  110

Toledo - 16

On paper, according to Vegas, and computers call this game  a mismatch. But we will find out. 

FAU's offense has found much more balance of the second half of the year, and does not have the passing attack Toledo has. But we do have an AP All American Running back, 3 first team All - C-USA Offensive Lineman.

We have one of the best Group of 5 Coaching staffs as well. 

If you want to bring up the Buffalo game:

- First week of a QB switch 

- Missing our All Conference first team LB to injury

- Our Best WR was suspended. 

- The team frankly has gotten significantly better since week 4

53 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Let’s just play the game, good luck to FAU but I don’t give a ? about any of that ?, you won 10 games & have coach with a name so you are getting some love, you beat nobody, Troy beat LSU & Toledo won 11 games an hung with Miami, had a bad game against Ohio

We haven’t done ? yet, maybe it starts on December 19th

GO ZIPS ? 

Have you been hanging around Lavarr Nelson?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could very well be ignorance on my part, but I haven't seen anything that makes me have much respect for the C-USA in recent years. What was the conference's best OOC win this year? What was the MAC's? I don't think we (as in the MAC) had any notable OOC wins this year, but have beaten ranked OK St and Arkansas very recently. I believe we've strung together multiple years with wins over B1G teams as well. What I do know is we set the stadium record for points scored against Marshall last year. Different team, but still.

I respect FAU. We'd all kill for a 10 win season and conf. championship. I'm just not sold that they are some Toledo-level team all of the sudden when they have historically been pretty dreadful and Kiffin has only been there one season. This is fun though playing a team we have no familiarity with who the media is somewhat infatuated with. I hope our players are up to the challenge.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

FAU seems to have a different type of fanbase than most. 

Sunshine puts fans in a state of euphoria. ☀️??

I'm looking forward to hearing coach Amato talk about the Owl's offense tomorrow. Three more practices, and the team is off to Florida on Friday. I bet some young gun in our receiving group got better today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t get what Your saying but I’m just saying let’s play, don’t really care about trying to figure out stats with no mutual opponents, directly or indirectly

It was a joke based on your emoji usage in communication. I am assuming you got the Lavarr Nelson reference.

Edited by LZIp

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I haven't seen anything that makes me have much respect for the C-USA in recent years.

I'm just not sold that they are some Toledo-level team all of the sudden when they have historically been pretty dreadful and Kiffin has only been there one season. This is fun though playing a team we have no familiarity with who the media is somewhat infatuated with.

I agree with you on all of this.  This is exactly how I feel right now.  

Our bowl win 2 years ago didn't grab any headlines outside of Akron.  This one would.  That's exactly the kind of opportunity I want for us in a bowl.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FAUGUY said:

Just some fun stats

FAU point differential +203

Akron Point Differential - 35 

FAU Conference Point Differential +177

Akron Conference Point Differential +17

S&P Computer ranking's (unbiased computers)

FAU -  12 

Akron -  110

Toledo - 16

On paper, according to Vegas, and computers call this game  a mismatch. But we will find out. 

FAU's offense has found much more balance of the second half of the year, and does not have the passing attack Toledo has. But we do have an AP All American Running back, 3 first team All - C-USA Offensive Lineman.

We have one of the best Group of 5 Coaching staffs as well. 

If you want to bring up the Buffalo game:

- First week of a QB switch 

- Missing our All Conference first team LB to injury

- Our Best WR was suspended. 

- The team frankly has gotten significantly better since week 4

Did you pat yourself on the back after posting this? nobody cares for these "fun-facts" because you're basically painting the picture that Akron-Sucks, FAU-is-Awesome, with some apologetics mixed in...on a Zips Forum.  Cool.  Seriously who cares about any of these stats other than FAU fans?

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 2

Graduation is Saturday, so the U is putting together a special graduation for players, band members, cheer and dance, and other kids involved with the bowl game for this Wed. Well done, UA. Matt Wilson can stick around for a while and no one would be upset. Notice, no having to beg for money to get the band to the bowl game this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Did you pat yourself on the back after posting this? No buddy cares for these "fun-facts" because you're basically painting the picture that Akron-Sucks, FAU-is-Awesome, with some apologetics mixed in...on a Zips Forum.  Cool.  Seriously who cares about any of these stats other than FAU fans?

Nope. Just pointing out some things. Seems like some fans are underestimating FAU. As I am probably under estimating Akron. 

And yeah FAU has been dreadful for many years, but prior to Kiffin arriving the previous coach was bringing in top recruiting classes in the conference with Kiffin doing the same last year. The talent has been in place. Our previous coach was just a terrible game day coach. 

Edited by FAUGUY

8 hours ago, FAUGUY said:

Nope. Just pointing out some things. Seems like some fans are underestimating FAU. As I am probably under estimating Akron. 

And yeah FAU has been dreadful for many years, but prior to Kiffin arriving the previous coach was bringing in top recruiting classes in the conference with Kiffin doing the same last year. The talent has been in place. Our previous coach was just a terrible game day coach. 

It's the, "We're too good for you attitude that rubs us the wrong way. Clearly, you aren't.  If you want to play a more prestigious team, get a respectable LOC schedule. That's out point. You haven't played anyone serious.

• Like 1

Let's all play nice :) I've enjoyed the FAU visitors. They have been mostly respectful. I think we would have similar feelings looking at stats, records, conference championship results, and point spread if we were in their shoes as well.

Same thing I said before OU. We play the game for a reason!

• Like 3