Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

11 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I'm surprised that FAU didn't score more points in the late season game against Charlotte, who is one of the worst teams in the FBS.  

I was surprised as well.  I think it was a combination of playing FIU (are big rivalry game) the week before and the anticipation of the championship game the following Saturday.  I went to the game, we certainly played a lot more players than we normally play and the game was just sloppy.  UNT had a similar game vs Rice, probably looking ahead like we were.  Even with the sloppiness that was the 10th (eleven now after the championship game) straight game we scored 30 plus points.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, Dr Z said:

Terry Bowden, Chuck Amato, and  A.J. Milwee will be the guests on a special Bowl-bound edition of Zips LIVE, on Tuesday, Dec. 12, from Noon to 1 p.m. The broadcast can be heard via web stream on the WARF.

??‍♂️ I missed this today, anybody listen that can give a recap?

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Last night, I showed this to my wife, as an example of what our Christmas Tree should look like next year.  She disagrees.  :lol:

My wife was the one who decorated it and made the Z. ........... but my wife also chose the fight song for our wedding recessional and gave me a blue and gold wagon wheel with a name plate that says on 8/15 we tied the knot and kent state still sucks. 

It took me awhile to find Ms Section210Zip but she was definitely the right one 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

My wife was the one who decorated it and made the Z. ........... but my wife also chose the fight song for our wedding recessional and gave me a blue and gold wagon wheel with a name plate that says on 8/15 we tied the knot and kent state still sucks. 

Damn...I am jealous!

Yeah we were too. I don't think the team was very motivated with the championship game the next week., and many of the second teamers played the second half. 

I think referring to a game that was played in the 2016 season is a little bit of stretch as a common opponent with Marshall. FAU was up by 2 TD's late in the 4th quarter and really was the only game we struggled finishing off all year. 

I think much of the reactions your seeing from FAU fans is the disappoint of not getting the matchup against USF or FSU which was predicted by most outlets. 

14 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

??‍♂️ I missed this today, anybody listen that can give a recap?

I also was interested in this.  I lived in Raleigh, NC for a number of years while Amato was the coach at NC State.  He was a player's favorite and usually had some colorful and amusing interviews.  But of course I am just as curious to see what he says about the game.  And of course Bowden is always a very good interview.

University of Akron football: Local players on Zips roster hope to leave legacy, building blocks for future success

"Ten years from now when you look back and see that we had this team and no other team had done this in the past … that’s huge for the coaches in the recruiting process,” Moore said. “Younger guys in the recruiting process will know — especially the ones from the city of Akron there is change happening here. We are creating a legacy.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Balsy said:

And Ohio University has probably had the most consistent success of any of the three teams being discussed over the last decade, and we beat them this year.

I'm just trying to point out that it's kinda fruitless to come to the Zips forum to spill out why FAU is so awesome.  We don't care.  Because we think Akron is awesome.  There can still be an exchange of comments, though it's fruitless to take the apologetic approach.  Cause really, we're already dealing with our own apologetics for our own team...we don't need to read it for another team.  The comment above is an example of said apologetics, we ultimately don't care.

Amen ?? 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, Dr Z said:

Sunshine puts fans in a state of euphoria. ☀️??

I'm looking forward to hearing coach Amato talk about the Owl's offense tomorrow. Three more practices, and the team is off to Florida on Friday. I bet some young gun in our receiving group got better today. 

Is there a receiver we haven’t seen much of you expect to play?

I want to get facts straight. FAU's attendance issues are not like most G5 schools in the country. We have only had full undergrad since 1988 and a football team since 2001. Our fan base just needs some time to grow. Since I went in 2008 school spirit and grown 10 fold (we were not coming from much at all) and keeps getting a little better every year.  Our students do a solid job of supporting with 2-3k every game.  Most new season tickets holders are people graduated within the last 5 years who had more traditional experience. Will we be getting 60k in 30 years prob not, but unlike schools like USM and La Tech who might get a few thousand more now we have not played football for 100 years.   Also in regards to recruiting the kids who hold FAU offers were part of mass offering where FAU "offered" pretty much every kid in Dade, Broward, and WPB counties.  FAU has done really well in recruiting with even under Charlie Partridge we were 1-2 in C_USA every year. We had our pick of the G5 kids in Florida last few years with 21 of our 22 starters being on the team in 2016.  I hope you guys travel the area FAU is awesome and if you want suggestions on where to eat or drink head to the fauowlsnest.com.  (Had trouble creating paragraphs in the text box?)

9 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

I'm ready to marry her too!:bow:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, owlcountry40 said:

We have only had full undergrad since 1988 and a football team since 2001. 

Your are asking for sympathy from the wrong fan base, we restarted our program over from "scratch" in 2012. We are excited about where the program is headed now, but it took us awhile to undo what was done. This bowl game will be another step for both program's future success. Good luck. 

11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Is there a receiver we haven’t seen much of you expect to play?

I have no inside info, I was commenting on the fact that coach mentioned that he may practice the '''starters" for an hour and dismiss them, and work with the young guys. It would not surprise me to see one of the younger receivers see some extended playing time on Tuesday though. Maybe somebody who "stepped it up" in practice this week...given more time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

University of Akron football: Local players on Zips roster hope to leave legacy, building blocks for future success

"Ten years from now when you look back and see that we had this team and no other team had done this in the past … that’s huge for the coaches in the recruiting process,” Moore said. “Younger guys in the recruiting process will know — especially the ones from the city of Akron there is change happening here. We are creating a legacy.”

One of George's better articles, IMO. Maybe I expect too much, but this false statement stuck out to me.

"This won’t be wide receiver Kevin Gladney’s first bowl trip. The Akron native, who also played at Firestone, began his college career at Nebraska, where he took part in two bowl games, before transferring to UA for his final year."

This is Gladney's 3rd year in the program, 2nd year eligible.

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I'm glad someone posted this, since I am sure many of us have a hard time recognizing whether he's "working" or on vacation throughout the year.  

So......We're expecting what level of coverage for our Bowl Game next week?

Edited by skip-zip
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2017 at 12:47 PM, Balsy said:

And Ohio University has probably had the most consistent success of any of the three teams being discussed over the last decade, and we beat them this year.

I'm just trying to point out that it's kinda fruitless to come to the Zips forum to spill out why FAU is so awesome.  We don't care.  Because we think Akron is awesome.  There can still be an exchange of comments, though it's fruitless to take the apologetic approach.  Cause really, we're already dealing with our own apologetics for our own team...we don't need to read it for another team.  The comment above is an example of said apologetics, we ultimately don't care.

Some might call it... Balsy. :rofl:B)

I actually kind of like it. I don't think anything that's been said has been out of line, and I like learning more about FAU. Now if only they would bring their weather with them when they come on this board...

Edited by lilroodude
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lilroodude said:
3 hours ago, lilroodude said:

...... Now if only they would bring their weather with them when they come on this board...

Today it only got to around a "frigid" 67 degrees in Boca.  Starting this weekend, the daily highs should be between 78 and 82 and the lows in the upper 60s through the game on Tuesday.  To be fair, it is going to be partly cloudy :D

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm glad someone posted this, since I am sure many of us have a hard time recognizing whether he's "working" or on vacation throughout the year.  

So......We're expecting what level of coverage for our Bowl Game next week?

I'm optimistic that there will be some coverage: "http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Some might call it... Balsy. :rofl:B)

I actually kind of like it. I don't think anything that's been said has been out of line, and I like learning more about FAU. Now if only they would bring their weather with them when they come on this board...

I'm with Balsy on this one...I guess it's okay, but I'm not sure why they want to come on our board and "talk" to us.  Lemme ask you this....how many of our forum regualr contributors go on other school's and posts?  Is it a lot?  Is it a few?  Is that where K92 went?  :D