Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I'm with Balsy on this one...I guess it's okay, but I'm not sure why they want to come on our board and "talk" to us.  Lemme ask you this....how many of our forum regualr contributors go on other school's and posts?  Is it a lot?  Is it a few?  Is that where K92 went?  :D

My original complaint relates more to what I saw in Twitter and it was the unfounded superiority complex and we deserve better than Akron attitudes that I took issue with, to be clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I'm with Balsy on this one...I guess it's okay, but I'm not sure why they want to come on our board and "talk" to us.  Lemme ask you this....how many of our forum regualr contributors go on other school's and posts?  Is it a lot?  Is it a few?  Is that where K92 went?  :D

I've seen Balsy do it on bobcatattack O_O

I don't mind other teams coming in and talking, they had a good year. Good for them.

But it is one good year. Acting like you haven't been a garbage program, which you will return right to when Kiffin leaves, is hysterical due to the level of arrogance they seem to carry. 

I don't think the Zips win, the defense has been poor all year versus big play teams. I hope the game is competitive. I just think it's funny they are too good to play Akron, yet chomping at the big to play FSU in their one poor year, knowing full well this was their only chance to even sniff a chance at competing against them as they would get rolled 99/100 times.

• Like 1

I've seen some of the way too ahead of ourselves comments, but again most projections FAU saw had USF and then a few had FSU as our bowl opponent.  And I absolutely wished we would have played either (or both) FSU and Florida this year.  Put that in perspective, if Ohio State was having an awful season and Akron was having the best season in school history, wouldn't you want to play them?  Even playing a tightly contested game you end up losing can do wonders for your program against the big  boys from where you recruit.

And most FAU fans readily-admit we have been bad for a decade or more.  That's why this season, Kiffin and the staff, and the players we have coming back have FAU fans overly excited.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

I've seen Balsy do it on bobcatattack O_O

Whenever I post over there, which is rare, it's usually on the ohio-akron match-up or something MAC related.  They had a thread over there talking about firing Frank Solich.  I commented on it, because it's an interesting grass-is/isn't-always-greener conversation.  Many of us would love to have had the winning consistency that Ohio has had over the last decade; yet part of their fanbase is up in arms it seems. 

I don't mind the FAU fans posting here, I just find it a little tiring how defensive some of the comments had the "yeah, but the Buffalo loss wasn't really a loss" and the proceed to continue to defend that position post-after-post.  The "FAU-is-awesome" approach is just annoying. 

12 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I'm okay with fans coming and giving their two-cents, just as long as it doesn't turn into a "My-team is awesome and yours sucks" kind of conversation.  I've loved the contributions on attendance, and the current state of their program.  I haven't cared for the "but our loss wasn't really a loss" apologetics.

Edited by Balsy

14 minutes ago, FAU_dad said:

IAnd I absolutely wished we would have played either (or both) FSU and Florida this year.  Put that in perspective, if Ohio State was having an awful season and Akron was having the best season in school history, wouldn't you want to play them?  Even playing a tightly contested game you end up losing can do wonders for your program against the big  boys from where you 

Bowl.projections are almost always a joke, IMHO. I am not sure how anyone with any sense of reality would have paired you with them. TBH, I think top tier P5 schools would rather stay home than play most G5 schools. 

Some good info in the article. Quotes from Bowden, and KN1. Three Phil photos. 

“Coming from high school the speed is a lot faster, so a lot of it was just me coming out of my reads earlier, trusting my legs and my ability to run the ball,” he said.

The change from then to now has been significant. “That’s a big thing I’ve improved on as I’ve been here,” he said. “You know, getting more comfortable with the offense and getting more reps so the speed of the game has slowed down. I’ve been able to distribute better.” For him, the process has been a simple one. “I think film study, reps — getting reps in practice then going over that practice and going over the mistakes you made. That’s how you get better,” he said.

Last practice in Ohio today, flight tomorrow, and one more practice on Saturday. 

14 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

For the record, I have not gone to the FAU board.  :wave:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

My original complaint relates more to what I saw in Twitter and it was the unfounded superiority complex and we deserve better than Akron attitudes that I took issue with, to be clear.

Sorry no offense.  At first we were not happy about this matchup, through no fault of your own.  We have been told for 3 years by our AD (who I believe should be fired) how we don't want to play in the Boca Bowl, we want two other teams playing in it to show case the campus and the university while 2 other teams are playing here.  We then would play somewhere else and have another 3 hour commercial about FAU.  Our AD is a sack of crap.  But after some grumblings about this matchup most people are looking forward to the game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roo said:

I don't mind other teams coming in and talking, they had a good year. Good for them.

But it is one good year. Acting like you haven't been a garbage program, which you will return right to when Kiffin leaves, is hysterical due to the level of arrogance they seem to carry. 

I don't think the Zips win, the defense has been poor all year versus big play teams. I hope the game is competitive. I just think it's funny they are too good to play Akron, yet chomping at the big to play FSU in their one poor year, knowing full well this was their only chance to even sniff a chance at competing against them as they would get rolled 99/100 times.

You are right we haven't been good.  We have had a record breaking season.  Our offense is top 10, we are receiving AP votes and Coaches poll votes.  Its been a great year after a lot of misery.  And don't be so sure about how we will be after Kiffin leaves.  We already have a $70 mil stadium that your fans will probably find to be a pretty good place to watch a game.  We are getting ready to break ground on $50 mil academic/athletic center with indoor practice field.  But the most important thing the Board of Trustees has opened the wallet to pay real salaries to our coaches.  Kiffin is being paid just under a million (great value) and most importantly we are paying our assistant coaches the most in the conference.  The last coaching hire was hindered by going on the cheap.  Our president is from Clemson, and he wants a competitive football program.  So no matter what happens with Kiffin, we have the proper financial support to sustain winning in one of the 3 best states to recruit football talent.  We are excited about where we are after many years of misery and excited about the future.  No arrogance at all.

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Bowl.projections are almost always a joke, IMHO. I am not sure how anyone with any sense of reality would have paired you with them. TBH, I think top tier P5 schools would rather stay home than play most G5 schools. 

Another C-USA team who finished well behind us is playing FSU - so hard to understand why you think it was far-fetched.

It could easily have been Southern Miss vs Akron in Boca and us in the Independence Bowl. 

Edited by FAU_dad

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Whenever I post over there, which is rare, it's usually on the ohio-akron match-up or something MAC related.  They had a thread over there talking about firing Frank Solich.  I commented on it, because it's an interesting grass-is/isn't-always-greener conversation.  Many of us would love to have had the winning consistency that Ohio has had over the last decade; yet part of their fanbase is up in arms it seems. 

I don't mind the FAU fans posting here, I just find it a little tiring how defensive some of the comments had the "yeah, but the Buffalo loss wasn't really a loss" and the proceed to continue to defend that position post-after-post.  The "FAU-is-awesome" approach is just annoying. 

I'm okay with fans coming and giving their two-cents, just as long as it doesn't turn into a "My-team is awesome and yours sucks" kind of conversation.  I've loved the contributions on attendance, and the current state of their program.  I haven't cared for the "but our loss wasn't really a loss" apologetics.

TO CLARIFY.   The Buffalo loss was a LOSS!  No one is not saying it wasn't, just saying that it was the turning point of the season.  If that loss didn't happen we wouldn't have gone undefeated in conference and maybe not win our championship game.  It was one of those games of missed opportunities.

12 hours ago, KNCLZip said:

Booked flights, hotel, and rental car last Monday and already have game and pregame party tickets.  

Anyone flying CLE-MIA at 6:30am next Tuesday (on American) or FLL-CLE the day after the game at 11:17am (on United)?

Flying out later in the morning and staying longer. I have used the tri rail from MIA to FLL to do the same before, not a terrible option. There is a free shuttle bus from the station to the airport. 

1 minute ago, Dr Z said:

Flying out later in the morning and staying longer. I have used the tri rail from MIA to FLL to do the same before, not a terrible option. 

Whenever my parents fly out of MIA they always take Tri-Rail.  Its a real good option if you are flying into Miami.  Tri-Rail will get you to Boca.

1 hour ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

TO CLARIFY.   The Buffalo loss was a LOSS!  No one is not saying it wasn't, just saying that it was the turning point of the season.  If that loss didn't happen we wouldn't have gone undefeated in conference and maybe not win our championship game.  It was one of those games of missed opportunities.

But it was a loss against a team that did not go to a bowl and was perhaps your most difficult out of conference game.