Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

Oh well.  I guess the game went much more like the FAU intruders predicted.  Now, time to get back to work. 

This year was a year of progress.  Build on it ... but not too much until after you leave Ames.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Said it before and ill say it again I could care less about the MAC. I HATE THE MAC 

I wish we would leave the MAC. Hell the MAC is the reason why our Basketball coach left us for a no name mediocre program. 
Yes we won the MAC East but if we continue to be unable to score a Touchdown on the National Stage what does that say about our program and the MAC East 

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FAUGUY said:

Good thing akron played that dynamite MAC schedule to prepare you for this game. But in all honesty you had the opportunities to make this a game, but couldn’t stop FAU on 4th down. And you played way to conservative 

Nice comment. Did you learn that class from your coach?

Good season for you guys. Congrats on the win.

1 minute ago, FAUGUY said:

If you stop us we won’t score. And all I heard for two weeks was how we didn’t play anyone like you did on your schedule. 

We didn't stop you. You scored. The 2 pt. conversion was incredibly unnecessary.

I don't know if you did play anyone better than our West Division MAC opponents (mainly Toledo). I don't agree with the arguments that said our schedule made us better, because this is twice in a row we haven't shown up on National TV. And I've avoided the trash talk. I just didn't appreciate your comment is all. 

25 minutes ago, FAUGUY said:

Good thing akron played that dynamite MAC schedule to prepare you for this game. But in all honesty you had the opportunities to make this a game, but couldn’t stop FAU on 4th down. And you played way to conservative 

Just leave out the first sentence and you probably would have been able to have a conversation about the game.  

• Like 2

We should have depth, and competition at every position next season. That will be a first for the Bowden era. The rebuilding is over. 

It is obvious we created separation from the MAC cellar in 2017, and it obvious we weren't yet ready for prime time.  

The days of taking steps backward are over. No excuses for 2018. 

• Like 4

Tough game for the Zips - while FAU spun our wheels to get going through the majority of the 1st quarter, you guys just never did anything offensively.  After you got down I would have expected to see some semblance of urgency, you guys going for 4th downs, etc.  I kind of expected our offense to wear your guys down with speed and tempo, but I really can't figure out if our D played lights out or if your O was just really bad tonight (I will probably go with a little of both)?

Even as an FAU fan, I was not big on going for 2, but right or wrong Kiffin is trying to draw attention to garner additional top-25 votes.

I do hope your team and the fans have safe travels back, and best of luck next season.

Kiffin rubs me the wrong way with his classless coaching, but props to him for giving us an ass-kicking. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't end up making the trip down to FL. Congrats to the FAU fans here on the success, you deserve it, but I hope Kiffin falls flat on his face. History tells us it will happen.

On to next season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We should have depth, and competition at every position next season. That will be a first for the Bowden era. The rebuilding is over. 

It is obvious we created separation from the MAC cellar in 2017, and it obvious we weren't yet ready for prime time.  

The days of taking steps backward are over. No excuses for 2018. 

Well said and I agree completely. I'm excited for next year's team. No excuses in 2018.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dre22era said:

Said it before and ill say it again I could care less about the MAC. I HATE THE MAC 

I wish we would leave the MAC. Hell the MAC is the reason why our Basketball coach left us for a no name mediocre program. 
Yes we won the MAC East but if we continue to be unable to score a Touchdown on the National Stage what does that say about our program and the MAC East 

Toledo seems to be doing just fine in the MAC.

Edited by scottditzen

9 hours ago, MontrealExposloveZippy said:

Not that it would have mattered at all, but playing a bowl game in the opposing teams home stadium just sounds like a bad idea.

Amen to this. I mean, did anything really think we would hang? FAU had the largest opening Vegas spread out of any of the 40 bowl games and it actually got larger as the game drew closer (usually the line gets closer barring any type of suspension or injury during practice). 

This was not a surprise. I thought we might keep it a little closer but Kiffin's style lends itself to blowing out outmatched opponents. We were playing a good team at their home stadium. Frankly, I'm just happy we made a bowl game; in fact, 2 bowl games in 3 years! That's the first time that's ever happened!!! 

These are the baby steps people. Do you really want to fire Bowden and risk getting another Ianello? Do you really want to go through another 1-11 season? Give Bowden a couple more years. If he gets us 8-4 or even 9-3 but can't win the MAC, then maybe you think about getting a bigger name. Until then, just enjoy the postseason. 

9 hours ago, MontrealExposloveZippy said:

Not that it would have mattered at all, but playing a bowl game in the opposing teams home stadium just sounds like a bad idea.

Playing this game on their home turf was the least of our problems, and it doesn't excuse the lack of preparation and execution on offense. 

10 hours ago, dre22era said:

Others in MAC Basketball have made it to the Elite 8 in the NCAA Tournament. Others in MAC Football have made it to significant Bowl games. Our Men's Soccer team won a National Championship in the MAC. Blaming the MAC is a lame excuse.

• Like 1