Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

9 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Playing this game on their home turf was the least of our problems, and it doesn't excuse the lack of preparation and execution on offense. 

Do you think we were prepared on defense? Couldn't stop them from scoring on multiple 4th downs (nor bother calling a timeout to prepare) and didn't force a punt until the 4th quarter. Oh yeah, and we gave up 50 points. The pass that Amato gets amazes me.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Do you think we were prepared on defense? Couldn't stop them from scoring on multiple 4th downs (nor bother calling a timeout to prepare) and didn't force a punt until the 4th quarter. Oh yeah, and we gave up 50 points. The pass that Amato gets amazes me.

I'm not exactly giving the defense a pass (the deep pass play before the end of the half was embarrassing; that ball sat up for what seemed like days and we still couldn't recover to deflect it away), but we had the chance to go up early on in the game and put them on their heels, and our offense laid egg after egg. Hard to consistently stop an offense that puts up 40+ ppg, especially when your offense doesn't capitalize on chances and eventually starts stalling out. Our defense came to play early on and I believe got worn out; our offense didn't show up at all.

Our defense won the games against Can't, WMU, etc. They came to play early on against Toledo and FAU, too. The 2 minute drill defense is the only gripe I have, as that cost us 7 points at the end of the half last night, and the Troy game.

Edited by lilroodude

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

News flash- Lane Kiffin is a childish jerk.

13 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I'm not exactly giving the defense a pass (the deep pass play before the end of the half was embarrassing; that ball sat up for what seemed like days and we still couldn't recover to deflect it away), but we had the chance to go up early on in the game and put them on their heels, and our offense laid egg after egg. Hard to consistently stop an offense that puts up 40+ ppg, especially when your offense doesn't capitalize on chances and eventually starts stalling out. Our defense came to play early on and I believe got worn out; our offense didn't show up at all.

Our defense won the games against Can't, WMU, etc. They came to play early on against Toledo and FAU, too. The 2 minute drill defense is the only gripe I have, as that cost us 7 points at the end of the half last night, and the Troy game.

The defense was woefully inconsistent all year.  They were very good at stopping bad offenses but were a sieve against good offenses.

36 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Do you think we were prepared on defense? Couldn't stop them from scoring on multiple 4th downs (nor bother calling a timeout to prepare) and didn't force a punt until the 4th quarter. Oh yeah, and we gave up 50 points. 

On the 4th down and TD plays, we were lucky if we touched the offensive player, let alone tackle him. 

11 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Nice comment. Did you learn that class from your coach?

Good season for you guys. Congrats on the win.

This football not F'ing etiquette school!   When we won 3 games each of the last 3 seasons no one let up on us when they were beating us down.  Lets stop pussifying football and remove PC from the game.  Class!  So silly.

I don't want to make this sound simple, with the 2 recent blowouts. 

But...When you are playing teams that are capable of scoring a lot of points, you have to be able to make tackles that can end possessions.  And on the other side of the ball, you have to capitalize on scoring opportunities.  

We had no chance in hell against Toledo or FAU because we could not do those 2 things.  

• Like 1

If we were not willing to admit it after the Toledo game,we have to admit it now. This regime has not raised the level of the program to be able to seriously compete with the very top programs IN the MAC much less outside of it. I am speaking of course of conferences outside the 'Power 5'. Aside from the issues some see with the coaching staff there is just an obvious lack of speed and athletic ability at most positions to be able to realistically compete. There is a player here and there. But,there are not enough 'heres and theres'. This makes the AD's call on Bowden et. al tougher in my opinion.  You can't show up on national TV and get embarrassed twice in the space of a few weeks. Neither the program nor the MAC benefit from that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

If we were not willing to admit it after the Toledo game,we have to admit it now. This regime has not raised the level of the program to be able to seriously compete with the very top programs IN the MAC much less outside of it. I am speaking of course of conferences outside the 'Power 5'. Aside from the issues some see with the coaching staff there is just an obvious lack of speed and athletic ability at most positions to be able to realistically compete. There is a player here and there. But,there are not enough 'heres and theres'.

I would honestly be shocked if anyone previously thought anything different, though I would say that we competed with the top in the Sun Belt pretty well. FWIW, I am not a fan of seemingly patronizing the top of the MAC. I think Toledo and NIU are up there with the best G5 programs in the country most years.

Edited by LZIp

We lost our two best running backs early in the year. Our starting QB was  not fully recovered from a shoulder injury.  He also had some personal issues.  The game last night was not good, but I think we are still on the right track.  We just need some more Jimmies and Joes.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee Adams said:

If we were not willing to admit it after the Toledo game,we have to admit it now. This regime has not raised the level of the program to be able to seriously compete with the very top programs IN the MAC much less outside of it. I am speaking of course of conferences outside the 'Power 5'. Aside from the issues some see with the coaching staff there is just an obvious lack of speed and athletic ability at most positions to be able to realistically compete. There is a player here and there. But,there are not enough 'heres and theres'. This makes the AD's call on Bowden et. al tougher in my opinion.  You can't show up on national TV and get embarrassed twice in the space of a few weeks. Neither the program nor the MAC benefit from that.

Which in the end leaves the AD with this primary issue>  Can Bowden attract the type of athletes that will allow the Zips to compete?

3 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Agree.  Vast damage was done to the program's rep over the last two games.  We won the MAC East.  Big whoop!  Basically we had one great game against Ohio.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Which in the end leaves the AD with this primary issue>  Can Bowden attract the type of athletes that will allow the Zips to compete?

Recruiting the past two or three years is light-years ahead of what it was before then in terms of talent.

Fact is, we're still about two years away development-wise from being where we want to be and we won the MAC East because more than one team choked against us, as MAC East teams tend to do. We're not there yet, but we are headed in the right direction. Anybody that thinks this program has stalled hasn't been paying attention.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think most will agree the past 2 classes have been his best yet. It will be interesting to see how those players contribute throughout their careers.

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I am in line with RowdyZip's opinion that these Zips seniors are the ones that bought-in on our program when it was coming off 3 consecutive 1-11 seasons. Can you really expect to compete with Toledo recruiting/athletes when you're strapped with that kind of baggage?

Give Toledo Tom Wistercill and Rob I-and-II-o for three seasons and maybe it's a fair fight.

We redshirted a lot of talented kids last year, and have a nice recruiting class shaping up this year. We're a solid, stable program now. We're beating the teams we should beat, and sneaking in another win or two when better teams overlook us. But we aren't at the level of a Toledo, and shouldn't expect to be in 2017.

We should be good next season. 8 wins should be the bar, and we'll see if more wins are possible once we actually watch the product on the field.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Playing this game on their home turf was the least of our problems, and it doesn't excuse the lack of preparation and execution on offense. 

The result would have been the same in Infocision. Playing in South Florida, we got our name/brand/mascot/coaches seen and heard around a fertile recruiting area and the players could enjoy the warm weather and volleyball on the beach; for a few of them it was a chance to play in front of relatives and friends. There's not too many bowl teams we could have beat in any location.

25 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Playing in South Florida, we got our name/brand/mascot/coaches seen and heard around a fertile recruiting area

....and attached to a 50-3 loss.  

Lets just hope that our "name" and "brand" had impact on people in Florida before 7pm last night, and nobody paid attention to what happened after that point.