Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

36 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

....and attached to a 50-3 loss.  

Lets just hope that our "name" and "brand" had impact on people in Florida before 7pm last night, and nobody paid attention to what happened after that point.  

Not a good look.... Kiffin tops it off with "his bad"... I wonder which administrator was talking trash before the game. 

Edited by dre22era

38 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I would be happy keeping Bowden if Van Horne was shown the door.

I did not think this team played well the last 3 games against Kent, Toledo, or last night.  We played well on the first half but shot ourselves in the foot when we were in the red zone and only scored 3 points.  We needed to go for it with 2 minutes left and fourth and 4.  No question after we punted we would be down 21-3.  Might have been a more interesting game if we could have scored and gone in at half 14-10 or 14-6.

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

I will take my comments back about Kiffin going for 2 (not my comments about Kiffin; he's still an a$$) if this is true. I agree with NWAkron that Van Horne being shown the door wouldn't be much of a loss. I haven't heard many positives surrounding him.

Edited by lilroodude

4 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I think that is the point of the sponsorship!  I have heard it's pretty good actually especially with vodka!

Ummmm...I got a new bottle of Tito's for Christmas yesterday!  Thanks for planting the seed!  (or the cherry pit?)

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

....and attached to a 50-3 loss.  

Lets just hope that our "name" and "brand" had impact on people in Florida before 7pm last night, and nobody paid attention to what happened after that point.  

Yes, let's hope this increased their awareness of UA. While we were unable to impress on the field, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".  At least recruits will know there's lots of playing time up for grabs and they will have a good chance to play in the postseason from year to year.

2 hours ago, lilroodude said:

I will take my comments back about Kiffin going for 2 (not my comments about Kiffin; he's still an a$$) if this is true. I agree with NWAkron that Van Horne being shown the door wouldn't be much of a loss. I haven't heard many positives surrounding him.

Anyone here know what he said exactly?

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

No, but calling him "George Van Dick", with  your little kid sitting next to you, is a total idiot move.  

I really dislike when coaches/players whoever use their kids like props.  Reminded me of when Scarborough walked across the field at Homecoming with his young daughter when the focus should have been on the students.

23 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Yes, let's hope this increased their awareness of UA. While we were unable to impress on the field, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".  At least recruits will know there's lots of playing time up for grabs and they will have a good chance to play in the postseason from year to year.

I would never agree that "Akron got destroyed, so maybe there's plenty of playing time available there" is the impression you want to leave with potential recruits.  But heck, maybe some of them liked our people, or liked our uniforms or mascot, or something.  

Hopefully we got something positive out of it.  

Edited by skip-zip

5 hours ago, dre22era said:

That is very disappointing.  Talk trash like that at a bar, not at a press conference after a big win.  And making a crude mockery of someone's name in public, come on. 

And with your kid sitting there.  I guess it is just Kiffin being Kiffin.   Too bad.  

He took a shot during his half-time interview too by saying something about the score should be much worse.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

No, but calling him "George Van Dick", with  your little kid sitting next to you, is a total idiot move.  

I agree.  And Kiffin wonders why he has a bad reputation.  

However, I think the question was about what the Asst. AD said to tick him off.

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

That is very disappointing.  Talk trash like that at a bar, not at a press conference after a big win.  And making a crude mockery of someone's name in public, come on. 

And with your kid sitting there.  I guess it is just Kiffin being Kiffin.   Too bad.  

He took a shot during his half-time interview too by saying something about the score should be much worse.  

Hmm.  We elected someone who does the same thing and worse.  The America we live in now.  This childish behavior is rewarded now.  And, yes, his son learned a nice lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The guys on the radio show said that there was a ton of trash talking and disrespect being shown by the community towards our team that it was difficult for the radio guys to keep their mouths shut. Evide fly one of the bus drivers for the Zips was even trash talking to the players. I honestly think Bowden and others from the U will be polite, probably mostly for the sake of the Bowl sponsors, but the residents of Boca and their head idiot coach proved themselves to be the low class people that we saw on Twitter and our own boards here leading up to the game. I hope Bowden let's the MAC know that we need to not go back to Boca. Players were not treated like that in Boise.The Utah State fans and players were great. None of the cheap, dirty plays we saw last night. We got a good dose of why so many teams had their fill of Kiffin. 

• Like 2

For Akron fans, this is a glass half full or glass half empty season.

As I read post on Zipnation and the Akron community it is another whoa is me, glass half empty season……we got embarrassed again on national TV again just like VCU BBall, Toledo in the MAC Championship….maybe even soccer vs Stanford, the MAC sucks, Bowden sucks, Milwee sucks, Amato sucks, etc.

If you are glass half full (like I am) I say, we keep making it to the big stage.  We won the conference, nobody expected that.  We did it losing two of our team captains (who were key players btw), we lost our senior QB.  This coaching staff did an amazing job.  Far exceeded my expectations.

I am not sure if we had a choice to pick which bowl we played (did we?) in but playing FAU on their home field was a stupid decision, that’s on the AD.  FAU is dangerous and would have kicked the crap out of most teams last night as they have been doing for most of their season. 

Last nights broadcast was a joke…a total recruiting video for Lane Kiffin. That guy is a complete TOOL, I don’t get it.

Oh, on the glass half full side, our BBall team is already doing amazing things after losing our coach and having the roster gutted.  Go Zips!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, a-zip said:

I am not sure if we had a choice to pick which bowl we played (did we?) in but playing FAU on their home field was a stupid decision, that’s on the AD.  FAU is dangerous and would have kicked the crap out of most teams last night as they have been doing for most of their season.

Nice Post on all around a-zip!  I pulled this part out to talk about.

Unfortunately I feel the decision to play the Boca Raton bowl boiled down to two things: Florida, and $.  The payout for the Boca Raton bowl was like $300,000 more (assuming the payout structures from last year are the same) and we have a significant amount of seniors and other players from Florida.  I think the decision boiled down to those two things, and I'm not sure I can disagree with it...thought we would have stood a better chance in Mobile.

8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

The guys on the radio show said that there was a ton of trash talking and disrespect being shown by the community towards our team that it was difficult for the radio guys to keep their mouths shut.

I think we're getting more of a picture of why you would not want to play a bowl game as a true Road Team, like we just faced.

If you watch the video, you can hear all of the reporters laughing after Kiffin makes that idiotic statement in front of his child.  That's because those are FAU's reporters who cover the school and the coach all the time, and they are just as culpable. We were in a difficult environment, and I am starting to understand maybe why some of our people may have reacted unprofessionally.  

If you have the chance to pick your bowl, you pick the bowl that gives you the most exposure and the biggest payout. That was the Boca Raton Bowl. It's on the coaching staff to get the team ready to play, which we were not. Nobody can defend Bowden, yet suggest we should have avoided FAU because they are "dangerous". This is FAU, a team that was a perennial ESPN #1 Bottom Ten team, at worst sharing the spot with FIU with the "I" and "A" rotating in and out in the logo GIF. Yes, they got Kiffin, but they were 3-9 last year. They finished this year 11-3.

After 5 years of Bowden, we should not be getting embarrassed, especially by the likes of FAU. No more excuses. 

• Like 3