Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

55 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Do you also see the bouquet in the DB's left hand?

These are the types of comments that jeopardize the future of football. If the concussion situation is not dealt with, football will remain in decline. Top athletes do not want their kids playing football,right now. After watching what happened to Zach Guises and Ryan Shazier, I am glad my own family member is done.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

These are the types of comments that jeopardize the future of football. If the concussion situation is not dealt with, football will remain in decline. Top athletes do not want their kids playing football,right now. After watching what happened to Zach Guises and Ryan Shazier, I am glad my own family member is done.

Easy chief.  The comment wasn't to downgrade that awful hit, it was a jab at zipper_head completely missing that the hit was clearly targeting.  No way I would promote that type  of a dirty hit.  Sorry you missed my point.

• Thanks 1

I just noticed that the ABJ sports article about our bowl games shows that it was written by "Beacon Journal / Ohio.com".  

I wonder if that means that they sent anyone at all down to Florida to follow us for a Bowl Game?  To me, that would be the ultimate "we don't care about the Zips" gesture of all time.  Geez.  

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I just noticed that the ABJ sports article about our bowl games shows that it was written by "Beacon Journal / Ohio.com".  

I wonder if that means that they sent anyone at all down to Florida to follow us for a Bowl Game?  To me, that would be the ultimate "we don't care about the Zips" gesture of all time.  Geez.  

I would be shocked if they did, honestly. Lazy ass GT taking vacation during the biggest game of the season is par for the course.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Akron Zips football lost to Florida Atlantic football by a score of 50-3.  That surely qualifies as inferior.

As far as comparing the conferences, I can’t say.  This was a matchup between the CUSA champ and the MAC East Champ.  The MAC East Champ was the 3rd best team in the MAC if we were to be kind.  My guess is that Toledo would play neck and neck with FAU.

55 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

C'mon skip....you already know the answer....they had to keep someone close to home in case Portage Community College signed a new head coach and write about that!  :rock:

22 hours ago, a-zip said:

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder.  It's not even close you zipperhead.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-19-at-8.03.24-PM-718x490.jpg

Right from the NCAA rule book:

1.  Making “forcible contact against an opponent with the helmet crown,” or the top of the tackler’s head.

2.  Making “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.”

He led with his shoulder and it was below the opponents shoulders.  NO crown of the helmet; no forcible contact to the head or neck.  It was a late hit.  A late hit doesn't make it Targeting Foul.  The correct penalty was called.  I guess its time to strap on the flag's around the waist.  

Being faster and more physical than your team doesn't make us dirty.  But think what you need to get through the off-season.

Edited by FAU Connoisseur

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I wonder if that means that they sent anyone at all down to Florida to follow us for a Bowl Game?  To me, that would be the ultimate "we don't care about the Zips Football" gesture of all time.  Geez.  

FIFY

Marla Ridenour was at the College Cup in Philadelphia.

On 12/20/2017 at 11:07 AM, LZIp said:

I think most will agree the past 2 classes have been his best yet. It will be interesting to see how those players contribute throughout their careers.

We won't know how good or bad recruiting has been until these guys get on a college football field and play. Thats especially true at the level where most MAC teams recruit and play. The obvious exceptions appear to be the Toledos,NIUs,OUsand maybe a WMU. Those teams have been consistently good in the MAC and competed fairly well against higher level competition outside the MAC. I realize that Ianello did nothing positive for the program. But,6 years later we are finally in a MAC championship albeit against a far superior opponent. Now, this coaching regime has to take the next step and become more consistently competitive IN THE MAC. That is going to mean an upgrade in the athletes on the field. Bowden has been able to bring in some individual players who have excelled at this level. And,thats a start. But,after watching the Toledo and FAU games we realize that quality up and down the roster is not quite there,yet.

Bowden has to find more Jatavis Brown,Ulysees Gilbert,Jojo Natson etc type players at more positions. He and the AD also need to take an objective look into what if any adjustments need to be made to what goes on on the sideline. 2018 now becomes another critical season because the program needs to take 'the next step'. It needs to consistently win 6 games in the MAC. And,thats going to mean being able to compete more favorably against the Toledos,OUs,Nius etc. Hope this season got them 'over the hump'.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

He led with his shoulder and it was below the opponents shoulders. 

His head is down, and his helmet smacks his face mask, and turns his head sideways.  And that's before any other part of the defender made contact.  The image shows it clearly. 

Don't give us the crap that he was dipping his shoulder in some attempt to make it look like he was intending to hit his body with his shoulder. 

Listen to the commentators unquestionably stating that they were expecting an ejection. 

39 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Being faster and more physical than your team doesn't make us dirty.  

How one feels about the abilities of their team's players should have ZERO to do with the judgement of what happened on this particular play.  

But I will tell you that a player who would be characterized as well-disciplined wouldn't do something that dirty, and that late.   Seems right on par for your coach who's already has a bad reputation for years, knowingly wanted to run up the score, and doesn't seem to have any hesitation to immaturely call an opponent's top-level administrator a Dick in front of his child, at a press conference.  

Maybe you have no knowledge of how vital it is for college athletic programs to rely upon their fraternity-like relationships with other administrators and coaches 

Please, come back here and tell us what you think of your now-beloved coach when he does jump ship on you guys, and hangs all of you out to dry.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee Adams said:

We won't know how good or bad recruiting has been until these guys get on a college football field and play. Thats especially true at the level where most MAC teams recruit and play. The obvious exceptions appear to be the Toledos,NIUs,OUsand maybe a WMU. Those teams have been consistently good in the MAC and competed fairly well against higher level competition outside the MAC. I realize that Ianello did nothing positive for the program. But,6 years later we are finally in a MAC championship albeit against a far superior opponent. Now, this coaching regime has to take the next step and become more consistently competitive IN THE MAC. That is going to mean an upgrade in the athletes on the field. Bowden has been able to bring in some individual players who have excelled at this level. And,thats a start. But,after watching the Toledo and FAU games we realize that quality up and down the roster is not quite there,yet.

Bowden has to find more Jatavis Brown,Ulysees Gilbert,Jojo Natson etc type players at more positions. He and the AD also need to take an objective look into what if any adjustments need to be made to what goes on on the sideline. 2018 now becomes another critical season because the program needs to take 'the next step'. It needs to consistently win 6 games in the MAC. And,thats going to mean being able to compete more favorably against the Toledos,OUs,Nius etc. Hope this season got them 'over the hump'.

Well said. I agree 100%

43 minutes ago, dre22era said:

This is dumber than anything I have ever posted on this site.  And that is really saying something!

1 hour ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Right from the NCAA rule book:

1.  Making “forcible contact against an opponent with the helmet crown,” or the top of the tackler’s head.

2.  Making “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.”

He led with his shoulder and it was below the opponents shoulders.  NO crown of the helmet; no forcible contact to the head or neck.  It was a late hit.  A late hit doesn't make it Targeting Foul.  The correct penalty was called.  I guess its time to strap on the flag's around the waist.  

Being faster and more physical than your team doesn't make us dirty.  But think what you need to get through the off-season.

#1.  Check.

#2.  Check.

Thus, targeting.

You may be relying too much on the photo and not enough on the video.  

Being faster and more physical doesn't make you dirty, but plays like this do!

9 minutes ago, Cykron said:

This is dumber than anything I have ever posted on this site.  And that is really saying something!

All dre does is come on here to bitch. He lives in MD I believe, so he doesn't attend games anyways. Talk about pot calling the kettle black!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

#1.  Check.

#2.  Check.

Thus, targeting.

You may be relying too much on the photo and not enough on the video.  

Being faster and more physical doesn't make you dirty, but plays like this do!

#1.  Nope didn't use the crown of the helmet, used his shoulder.  Side of helmet hit the other helmet which is not the crown.

#2.  Was not in the neck or head area.

You guys should focus on the other football.

21 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

#1.  Nope didn't use the crown of the helmet, used his shoulder.  Side of helmet hit the other helmet which is not the crown.

Dude, you kicked our a$$, no if &’s or but’s but when you hit the face mask you are in the head & neck area, he should have been ejected, period, but that really has no bearing on the a$$ kicking we took, now your welcome to stay off our site, you was right about everything 

:bow:

Edited by 94zipgrad

53 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

:rofl:  Don't you have better things to do?  Go away.

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Why couldn't we have drew UAB? Ohio is up 41-6 on them in the 4th right now. The jackass announcers just did the OH-IO chant...

I don't believe the matchup had much to do with the blow out. I don't think FAU is 50-3 better than us. I think our preparation was pitiful with the play-calling equally abysmal.

Additionally, how many people do you think are actually watching that game? 

• Like 1