Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Balsy

4 hours ago, Balsy said:

Nice Post on all around a-zip!  I pulled this part out to talk about.

Unfortunately I feel the decision to play the Boca Raton bowl boiled down to two things: Florida, and $.  The payout for the Boca Raton bowl was like $300,000 more (assuming the payout structures from last year are the same) and we have a significant amount of seniors and other players from Florida.  I think the decision boiled down to those two things, and I'm not sure I can disagree with it...thought we would have stood a better chance in Mobile.

Balsy...or anyone...do we get to keep the bowl appearance money or does that get put in a pool with all MAC schools?  I heard somewhere that was the case, but honestly do not know....anybody?

10 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

The guys on the radio show said that there was a ton of trash talking and disrespect being shown by the community towards our team that it was difficult for the radio guys to keep their mouths shut. Evide fly one of the bus drivers for the Zips was even trash talking to the players. I honestly think Bowden and others from the U will be polite, probably mostly for the sake of the Bowl sponsors, but the residents of Boca and their head idiot coach proved themselves to be the low class people that we saw on Twitter and our own boards here leading up to the game. I hope Bowden let's the MAC know that we need to not go back to Boca. Players were not treated like that in Boise.The Utah State fans and players were great. None of the cheap, dirty plays we saw last night. We got a good dose of why so many teams had their fill of Kiffin. 

Cheap Dirty Plays?  I just saw some football...

9 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Balsy...or anyone...do we get to keep the bowl appearance money or does that get put in a pool with all MAC schools?  I heard somewhere that was the case, but honestly do not know....anybody?

I think every MAC schools gets to keep their bowl payout money. I believe the only caveat is if a MAC school qualifies for a "BCS bowl" or "New Years Day Bowl"...whatever it is called nowadays, then that money gets split up between the conference.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

As I understand it, bowl money gets split 50/50 between the team and the conference. So we get half the payout of our bowl, and 1/24th of the combined payouts of all the MAC bowls (half the other bowl payout money, split 12 ways). Plus a payout from the Playoffs, depending on the order finish of the G5 conferences (I have the MAC 3rd behind the AAC and MWC, but that's only a guess). Plus a little TV money from ESPN.

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Yeah.  You only have to look at the reaction of the cheerleaders and the pretty blonde...they even saw it as a targeting!

lol I don't think you can say they saw it as targeting....I think they saw it as a Nasty hit... not defending anyone here but have you ever tried to stop a natural reaction to something while going full speed... It was a late hit, thats about it... 

1 hour ago, zipper_head said:

lol I don't think you can say they saw it as targeting....I think they saw it as a Nasty hit... not defending anyone here but have you ever tried to stop a natural reaction to something while going full speed... It was a late hit, thats about it... 

You should be a ref, because you're obviously blind. 

1 hour ago, zipper_head said:

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder.  It's not even close you zipperhead.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-19-at-8.03.24-PM-718x490.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I can understand when people say "we Exceeded Expectations" this season if this was for example New Coaching Staff. 
The problem is 6 or whatever years in we shouldn't be exceeding expectations We should rather be Living up to expectations

And with this staff I don't see that at all. 

The depths at which we were at when they took over really needs to be taken into account. You couldn't convince many good players to come be a part of a program that won 3 games over 3 years. Now they finally have somewhat of a foundation

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

The depths at which we were at when they took over really needs to be taken into account. You couldn't convince many good players to come be a part of a program that won 3 games over 3 years. Now they finally have somewhat of a foundation

I think most are willing to admit he's a vast improvement over his awful predecessor, but it has been 6 years.  Not calling for his head like some, but the statute of limitations on misery he inherited is running out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

but the statute of limitations on misery he inherited is running out.

I don't think anyone really disagrees with that. Nobody is advocating to extend him long-term and build a statue. Many (myself included) were at least questioning whether or not he should be let go following this season earlier in the year when things were looking dim. Let me pose this question: Has a MAC coach EVER been fired after winning his division and going to a bowl game? I would guess that would be unprecedented. Let's not get too full of ourselves here.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think most are willing to admit he's a vast improvement over his awful predecessor, but it has been 6 years.  Not calling for his head like some, but the statute of limitations on misery he inherited is running out.

This isn't in the holiday spirit, but I'm going to throw it down here and say that this Bowl Game was an absolute f'ing embarrassment for our school and program.  Someone's head should roll for this.  50 to 3?  He should have been fired at f'ing halftime.  I know I will get replies that i'm "stupid" and "ridiculous" because some how we lucked into winning the MAC East.  Really?  That's all you got?  Yes we had injuries, yes we had other problems but in the end Bowden had an undisciplined team and a starting QB who wasn't motivated enough to stay out of trouble to finish his season.  I 100% support the players, but are they really going to be that upset with has-been Bowden leaving and being replaced with a young, energetic coach.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zipper_head said:

If you can count Mississippily before a result occurs from a reaction, it is no longer a natural reaction but an intended one. 

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This isn't in the holiday spirit, but I'm going to throw it down here and say that this Bowl Game was an absolute f'ing embarrassment for our school and program.  Someone's head should roll for this.  50 to 3?  He should have been fired at f'ing halftime.  I know I will get replies that i'm "stupid" and "ridiculous" because some how we lucked into winning the MAC East.  Really?  That's all you got?  Yes we had injuries, yes we had other problems but in the end Bowden had an undisciplined team and a starting QB who wasn't motivated enough to stay out of trouble to finish his season.  I 100% support the players, but are they really going to be that upset with has-been Bowden leaving and being replaced with a young, energetic coach.

Should heads have rolled after OSU lost 31-0 to Clemson last year? What about when Saban lost to ULM? Or SMU losing 51-10 last night? Or Tressel getting curb-stomped in the national championship game twice? What about when OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1G championship?

I don't care if you are for or against Bowden, but a knee jerk reaction to the result of ONE game is ridiculous no matter how you want to spin it.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Should heads have rolled after OSU lost 31-0 to Clemson last year? What about when Saban lost to ULM? Or SMU losing 51-10 last night? Or Tressel getting curb-stomped in the national championship game twice? What about when OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1G championship?

I don't care if you are for or against Bowden, but a knee jerk reaction to the result of ONE game is ridiculous no matter how you want to spin it.

good point, but i'm looking at that game being the capstone of a body of work with Bowden.

31 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I really wish you'd stop being so subtle and just say what you think.  :rofl:

3 hours ago, dre22era said:

I can understand when people say "we Exceeded Expectations" this season if this was for example New Coaching Staff. 
The problem is 6 or whatever years in we shouldn't be exceeding expectations We should rather be Living up to expectations

And with this staff I don't see that at all. 

People say "exceeded expectations" because what they thought this team would be by the end of the year, mostly because people (and the media) were doom and gloom.

What ever word you want to use in front of expectations, you can't make the arguement that they didn't do that this year.  They made it to the MAC Championship.  If that's the expectation (as it should be because we hadn't been there in years) then they made it.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I know I will get replies that i'm "stupid" and "ridiculous" because some how we lucked into winning the MAC East.  Really?  That's all you got? 

You may have been able to make a much better case for that in 2005, rather than this year.  After winning the first two, we controlled our own destiny the rest of the way, and got the wins we needed.  Even if some of us (including me) can say that some very, very timely opponent mistakes went our way in games like WMU and Buffalo, I think I'd still say "It's about time some went the Zips' way for a change".  We earned this title. 

5 hours ago, a-zip said:

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder.  It's not even close you zipperhead.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-19-at-8.03.24-PM-718x490.jpg

I like this image, because that was the 2nd thing that stood out to me....The top of his helmet hits Van's face mask.  And I believe that was the first thing to make contact with him.  I still can't imagine that being overturned.  It seems to fit every criteria.  

Of course, the 1st thing that stood out to me was that the hit was incredibly late.   

6 hours ago, zipper_head said:

Do you also see the bouquet in the DB's left hand?