Jump to content
Balsy

Boca Raton Bowl–Zips @ Owls

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

 

How do you use the extra practices?  Coach Bowden "we might have practice for an hour, cut practice, and work the players that aren't playing, we will spend time developing our young players for next year. We only have 15 practices in the spring, we get a bonus by having half (more) now" 

 

 

Seems like a great way to handle it really.

 

I have to say I am pretty bummed. Had planned on going down to FL for the game, but most of the group planning on going were unable to get off of work on such short notice so it fell through. I suppose I will have to make a special trip to Akron and watch the game where I watched the last bowl victory - The Score. Speaking of watching the game, has the U organized a watch party???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

(More from the press conference posted above)

 

Anonymous reporter to coach Kiffin, "there are a lot of rumors floating around, I guess that's the elephant in the room, I won't ask the question" Kiffin "thank you"

 

Bobby Bowden is coming in the 17th. Coach (Terry) Bowden said "I'm known as an SOB down here in the south.......Son of Bobby."

 

Coach Bowden had to fly down for this conference, miss practice, and had to fly back that night to make today's practice. 

 

Kato was the only player coach talked about in his opening statement. "we have a redshirt freshman at QB that is exciting and from this area"

 

The MC said "The PGA will be the host for Akron", not exactly sure what that meant. I'm assuming that is there hotel?

 

How do you use the extra practices?  Coach Bowden "we might have practice for an hour, cut practice, and work the players that aren't playing, we will spend time developing our young players for next year. We only have 15 practices in the spring, we get a bonus by having half (more) now" 

 

 

Yes...PGA Resort will be Akron's team hotel.  Bring your clubs!  FAU will be at the Boca Raton Resort (Kiffin has a membership, maybe that played into it?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Boca Raton Renaissance is closer to campus (there's a lot of hotels in the area).  They have a FAU Alumni discount you just tell them Boca Raton Bowl Fan Block and you get the rate of $169.  Need to book by 12/11.  1-800-321-0472.  Nice hotel.  Check out the Bowl rates for PGA Resort though that is a world class facility.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same press conference as posted early, different format. Skip ahead to the 12 minute mark to get to coach Bowden. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 12:09 PM, LZIp said:

FAU fans seems a little full of themselves for them historically being one of the few programs about as bad as Akron in their D1 time. They are no Toledo. 

Bears repeating based on foolishness I have seen on the Twitterverse. One season and you would think they were Alabama, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Bears repeating based on foolishness I have seen on the Twitterverse. One season and you would think they were Alabama, lol.

No not really, but we had a great season.  Re-wrote our record book.  We will be the best G-5 team you have faced.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

No not really, but we had a great season.  Re-wrote our record book.  We will be the best G-5 team you have faced.  

Didn’t Buffalo beat you? I don’t think your better than Toledo or Troy but we know we have our hands full trying to contain your offense

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

No not really, but we had a great season.  Re-wrote our record book.  We will be the best G-5 team you have faced.  

Who did you play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 11:44 AM, Dr Z said:

Same press conference as posted early, different format. Skip ahead to the 12 minute mark to get to coach Bowden. 

 

 

Is there a way to keep this from auto-playing every time I visit this thread?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. FAU person here.

 

So yes we lost to Buffalo. But I don't think that loss defines our team at all. Lane kiffin brought in a bunch of transfers and changed up many of the offensive and defense schemes at the beginning of the season. We were also trying to find a quarterback who could lead our offense.  And in addition, we put in a new safety this year, so we had a bunch of high snaps early in the season that lost us many yards. We've been a different team once everyone started getting in the zone. I seriously doubt we would lose to Buffalo if we played them today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new to supporting FAU, so trying to be realistic I would agree some of the fans have gotten a little ahead of themselves. However, this has been a record-breaking, best season in school history.  All of the struggles were early on, and I would guess if FAU was playing Buffalo again we would be a similar roughly 23 point favorite to what we are against you guys.  I would also guess if we played Navy again we would be favored and would win that game (terrible first game matchup for a new staff with some players who were on the field who just got on campus literally a week before).  Easy to say, but if this team and staff had time together before the season we might be 11-2 or possibly 12-1.

 

This is what is great about bowls where teams and conferences really don't know one another.  CUSA has teams that are not well known, but we had 10 teams that were bowl-eligible and 9 that made it in.  Our schedule included games against 9 bowl-eligible teams (8 that are playing and 10 games against bowl teams with the second game with North Texas).  None of that matters, as "any given Saturday" a team can lose.  And a huge point-spread and playing at home can lead to a team not getting up for the game.  But I will be optimistic that the team keeps surprising me in how ready they seem since about the 5th game of the season.  We have a significant amount of the team coming back plus a few transfers who are sitting out this year, so if we have 10+ wins again in 2018 then I'll start thinking we really have something going.  Right now we are a hot team who wants to become a good program and after several mediocre to bad season's Owl fans are very happy about that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Is there a way to keep this from auto-playing every time I visit this thread?

Not sure what browser you are using, this doesn't happen (by default) in Safari. Here is how to stop outplay in Chrome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Didn’t Buffalo beat you? I don’t think your better than Toledo or Troy but we know we have our hands full trying to contain your offense

Trust me that Buffalo loss has nothing to do with how this team is now.  It was the 4th game of the season, first start for Driskel at QB.  The team was still finding its way under a new coaching staff.  If you are hanging your hopes on the Buffalo loss as to why we are some flawed team you will be mistaken.  We will beat you buy a similar score if not more than Toledo.  You won't be able to stop our running game and Driskel is now capable of putting up 350+ yards passing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FAU_dad said:

I'm new to supporting FAU, so trying to be realistic I would agree some of the fans have gotten a little ahead of themselves. However, this has been a record-breaking, best season in school history.  All of the struggles were early on, and I would guess if FAU was playing Buffalo again we would be a similar roughly 23 point favorite to what we are against you guys.  I would also guess if we played Navy again we would be favored and would win that game (terrible first game matchup for a new staff with some players who were on the field who just got on campus literally a week before).  Easy to say, but if this team and staff had time together before the season we might be 11-2 or possibly 12-1.

 

This is what is great about bowls where teams and conferences really don't know one another.  CUSA has teams that are not well known, but we had 10 teams that were bowl-eligible and 9 that made it in.  Our schedule included games against 9 bowl-eligible teams (8 that are playing and 10 games against bowl teams with the second game with North Texas).  None of that matters, as "any given Saturday" a team can lose.  And a huge point-spread and playing at home can lead to a team not getting up for the game.  But I will be optimistic that the team keeps surprising me in how ready they seem since about the 5th game of the season.  We have a significant amount of the team coming back plus a few transfers who are sitting out this year, so if we have 10+ wins again in 2018 then I'll start thinking we really have something going.  Right now we are a hot team who wants to become a good program and after several mediocre to bad season's Owl fans are very happy about that. 

I am not a twitter fan, but you can now see the genius of the 140 now 280 character limit.  No short or succinct thoughts here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple questions for the FAU visitors:

 

1) What do you think the chances are that Lane is there next season?

 

2) What do you think about that horrible TV contract C-USA has, and what do you think the conference is going to do about it in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question #1 I think is he will be here.  Kiffin really seems to enjoy the current freedom he has, and most think it will have to be a big time job to pull him away.  He will be picky, but so will those schools.  None of the jobs this year were realistic from both sides - the jobs he'll want still want to see what he does for another year or maybe more.  

 

No idea on #2, but it isn't good.  We were on the Stadium network, and the quality of the broadcasts were good but are not nearly as readily available as say ESPN3.  If CUSA wants to get seen we need to do something different. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Couple questions for the FAU visitors:

 

1) What do you think the chances are that Lane is there next season?

 

2) What do you think about that horrible TV contract C-USA has, and what do you think the conference is going to do about it in the future?

1)  100% The last big job was filled (Oregon, not that I thought there was a high probability, but there was a probability).  His next job will be a premiere P5; he won't take a mid-tier P5.  He can just wait it out in South Florida.

2)  The same thing all the other G5 conferences will do.  Viewership is down everywhere.  A telling stat is the actual decline of student attendance in some P5's.  Millenials don't seem to care about sports (traditional that is) like past generations.  I would see more streaming as that what the young ones want to do.  CUSA just happen to be the first that came up for renewal the rest of the G5 will be getting the slap when they are due to renew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Solarplanet said:

Hi. FAU person here.

 

So yes we lost to Buffalo. But I don't think that loss defines our team at all. Lane kiffin brought in a bunch of transfers and changed up many of the offensive and defense schemes at the beginning of the season. We were also trying to find a quarterback who could lead our offense.  And in addition, we put in a new safety this year, so we had a bunch of high snaps early in the season that lost us many yards. We've been a different team once everyone started getting in the zone. I seriously doubt we would lose to Buffalo if we played them today.

Lane is more of a trailblazer than I thought. Hopefully the new safety thing works out for him eventually.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FAU_dad said:

I'm new to supporting FAU, so trying to be realistic I would agree some of the fans have gotten a little ahead of themselves. However, this has been a record-breaking, best season in school history.  All of the struggles were early on, and I would guess if FAU was playing Buffalo again we would be a similar roughly 23 point favorite to what we are against you guys.  I would also guess if we played Navy again we would be favored and would win that game (terrible first game matchup for a new staff with some players who were on the field who just got on campus literally a week before).  Easy to say, but if this team and staff had time together before the season we might be 11-2 or possibly 12-1.

 

This is what is great about bowls where teams and conferences really don't know one another.  CUSA has teams that are not well known, but we had 10 teams that were bowl-eligible and 9 that made it in.  Our schedule included games against 9 bowl-eligible teams (8 that are playing and 10 games against bowl teams with the second game with North Texas).  None of that matters, as "any given Saturday" a team can lose.  And a huge point-spread and playing at home can lead to a team not getting up for the game.  But I will be optimistic that the team keeps surprising me in how ready they seem since about the 5th game of the season.  We have a significant amount of the team coming back plus a few transfers who are sitting out this year, so if we have 10+ wins again in 2018 then I'll start thinking we really have something going.  Right now we are a hot team who wants to become a good program and after several mediocre to bad season's Owl fans are very happy about that. 

Thanks. I agree with this. It has been insulting to imply that FAU is too good for Akron. We have more losses, but they were to Penn State, very good Iowa State and Troy teams, and with  a R-FR on only a couple of days of practice as the starter, and an high quality Toledo team. We lost to Troy in the last minute of the game. We are better than our record shows. We are clearly not an elite MAC team yet, but we have improved all season long. 

 

If we are honest, there is a lot of interest in a Kiffin v. Bowden bowl game and that is why we are playing each other. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×