MAC 2017-2018

zippyfan34

If Ball State wins and the Zips win this weekend, we are looking at either Bowling Green or Miami?  However, if we lose, I'm seeing a trip to Kalamazoo.  If NIU beats Ball State and we lose to Kent, Kent can end up with a first round bye...god forbid.  Then we are still looking at going to Muncie or Kalamazoo.

If we win and Ball State and Miami win, we would be tied with Ohio.  I'm not sure who wins that tiebreaker.  Then there would be a Kent and Miami tie breaker.  If we have the tiebreaker with Ohio then we would get Bowling Green and Ohio would go to Miami?

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

If NIU beats Ball State and we lose to Kent, Kent can end up with a first round bye...god forbid. 

Right.  A couple of us were discussing the possibility of playing Kent again yesterday.  We would end up at #12 in this scenario, and Kent might still be able to slip higher than #5.  That would obviously eliminate them as our Monday opponent.  

But regardless of the desire some of us have to play a first round game at Kent, the only important thing that's happened with these 2 latest losses is that we've now eliminated the chance to get to #8, and get the first round home game. 

I'll say this.  A bus trip to Kalamazoo and back would suck.  Especially if we were to pull a major upset and have to play again on Thursday.  

The two teams I think we match up worst with are Ball State and Buffalo. If they end up at 1 and 4 I hope we end up at 10 or 11 so that if we pull of the road upset we are on the opposite half of the bracket from those two in Cleveland. Just my opinion.

I guess I am going to be the optimist in this group.  We have had the best team in the MAC and not won the tourney.  Based on the last 6 games, we can compete with any team in the MAC.  We have just not been able to finish.  Groce is fired up over the effort his team is giving him.  Maybe some of that energy will flow over to the team.  Based on our recent games and as long as we continue to play good defense anything can happen in a tourney game.  Still looking to make it to Cleveland.  I would love for the trip to start in Portage County.

If this helps anything, we are now guaranteed the #11 spot.  Even if NOrthern wins tomorrow, we own the tiebreaker. 

So, who wants to do the math for us and tell us what it takes for Kent to be in the #6 spot?

Lets get in a third Akron/Kent rivalry war to add a little excitement before this season is over.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If this helps anything, we are now guaranteed the #11 spot.  Even if Central wins tomorrow, we own the tiebreaker. 

So, who wants to do the math for us and tell us what it takes for Kent to be in the #6 spot?

Lets get in a third Akron/Kent rivalry war to add a little excitement before this season is over.  

If WMU beats CMU, Kent is the #6 seed.  Akron and CMU would both be 6-12 and tied for #10, which we'd get.  In this scenario we'd play WMU.

If CMU beats WMU, Kent would be the #5 seed and we would be #11.  

Edited by UAZip0510

Just now, zipsrule said:

I don't think that is correct.  If Central loses tomorrow, they will also be 6-12.  We hold the head-to-head with Central and with Northern.  In that case, we would be the 10 seed.

Sorry man.  I mistakenly listed Central at the #12, and it's Northern.  I fixed it.  

12 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

If WMU beats CMU, Kent is the #6 seed.  Akron and CMU would both be 6-12 and tied for #10, which we'd get.  In this scenario we'd play WMU.

If CMU beats WMU, Kent would be the #5 seed and we would be #11.  

So, there is really no chance of a Kent/Akron game?

A long bus trip to Kalamazoo is certainly the least desired scenario, travel wise.  We'd be leaving on Sunday, have to travel back if we pull the upset, then play again in Cleveland a couple days later.  

As a side note, I'm sure you guys all heard what happened up there today, and why this CMU/WMU game is "postponed"?

I guess it's time to add even more drama to this season. :lol:

Edited by skip-zip

Ball State just lost to NIU and potentially cost themselves the #4 seed.  Wow.

So:

If Western Michigan beats Central Michigan, Western gets the #4 seed and #10 Akron will travel to #7 Miami.

If Central Michigan beats Western Michigan, Akron is the #11 seed and will travel to #6 Western Michigan.

Edited by UAZip0510
  • Like 1