Daniel Utomi

Blue & Gold

I thought Daniel probably deserved his own thread as we'll probably be talking about him a lot over the next 3 years.

Here is a really good human-interest article from GT on Dan & how Groce has whipped him into better physical shape (Danie's gone from 19% to under 10% body fat).

Sophomore Daniel Utomi trims the fat, takes lead role with Zips

• Like 1

Good info, I wish the article included before and after weight, and a photo of Daniel. 

August 2017 ___Image from @danielutomi

dan.jpg

September 2016___Image from @danielutomi

dan2.jpg

Music to me ears....“I’m just thinking about getting to the dance, to be honest,” he said. “That’s one goal we haven’t really achieved … all the other stuff I couldn’t care less about.” (quote from the GT article)

After reading that Big Dog is currently out of basketball, it makes me wonder how much better he would have been last year if he would have lost weight, slimmed down and hit the weight room.  He had great offensive moves for such a big guy but that extra weight slowed him down.  I like how we are now a stronger quicker team.  This will only pay dividends.  We need Poke to put on some weight and muscle to help him rebound.  A missing part of his game.   Looking forward to Utomi having another big night after a letdown in West Virginia.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

There is always more than one variable: LCJ has matured, Banks found his shot, Banks & Cheese have a season together under their belts, etc., etc.

So... I'm slightly hesitant to point this out, but man, are we better without Utomi, or what?!  Watching this team play highlights to me how much of a ball-stopper Utomi was.  He was also surprisingly slow-of-foot and lacked explosion.  

We just seem to be in a much better offensive flow this year sans Utomi.

• Like 1

I check his stats at USC and he is 7th in minutes averaging 19 minutes a game, averaging 4.3 points a games, shooting 31% from the field, and a team low 19% from the 3 point line.  His bright stat is averaging 4 rebounds per game.  It is still early but their schedule is only going to get tougher in the PAC 10.  Not sure if shooting 19% from the 3 line will help any team.  I wonder how Daniel would have adjusted to the faster play.  I am sure that the play is faster at USC and maybe that is why he is struggling with his shot.

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I check his stats at USC and he is 7th in minutes averaging 19 minutes a game, averaging 4.3 points a games, shooting 31% from the field, and a team low 19% from the 3 point line.  His bright stat is averaging 4 rebounds per game.  It is still early but their schedule is only going to get tougher in the PAC 10.  Not sure if shooting 19% from the 3 line will help any team.  I wonder how Daniel would have adjusted to the faster play.  I am sure that the play is faster at USC and maybe that is why he is struggling with his shot.

Thanks for the update on Daniel.  I wish him well, but I will not miss his drives into the lane ending in a jump stop with him ultimately kicking it back out because he couldn't get his shot over taller defenders.  He did a lot for the rebuilding of the program and was very unselfish bulking up to play much bigger 4's most every game.  I hope his shooting eye comes back and he finishes strong at USC.

39 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd say the Zips would be better with him had he been willing to accept an adjusted role. Outside of Cheese we don't really have a consistent bench scorer. Had Utomi stayed I'd like to have seen us move Cheese into the starting rotation then have Utomi be that go to scorer off the bench.

Agreed, he's a good player and you can't have too many of those.

• Like 1

I applaud Utomi for adapting unselfishly as he did with Groce's system, especially in year 2 of Groce. He was on the low block quite a bit, when he was originally brought in to be a cold-blooded shooter. Unfortunately he was never able to fully adapt to the speed of the uptempo system, and his lack of body control (countless number of offensive fouls/charges) was the #1 indicator. He was also a very streaky shooter, so hopefully he can get on a hot streak for USC's sake. 

• 2 months later...

Daniel has been playing very well and had a career high of 23 points for USC last week and I saw him interviewed on a post game show.  Very intelligent young man. The next game USC lost to a ranked team but Daniel is now a starter and played over 30 minutes.  I am glad to see that he is doing well.  I think his decision to transfer worked out for both teams.  I just don't think LCJ could control this team like he has if Daniel would have stayed.  I believe that this team plays better without him because we are quicker and more athletic.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Daniel has been playing very well and had a career high of 23 points for USC last week and I saw him interviewed on a post game show.  Very intelligent young man. The next game USC lost to a ranked team but Daniel is now a starter and played over 30 minutes.  I am glad to see that he is doing well.  I think his decision to transfer worked out for both teams.  I just don't think LCJ could control this team like he has if Daniel would have stayed.  I believe that this team plays better without him because we are quicker and more athletic.   

I'm glad to hear he's doing well. Do you mean season high? He certainly had games of more than 23 points when he was here.

48 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm glad to hear he's doing well. Do you mean season high? He certainly had games of more than 23 points when he was here.

Season high for for USC although they referred to it as a career high in the interview.  I knew that he had scored more points in Akron and I just made the same mistake. 

On 2/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, 1981 grad said:

Season high for for USC although they referred to it as a career high in the interview.  I knew that he had scored more points in Akron and I just made the same mistake. 

His USC career only began this year!  ?

West Coast bias!