Three For Thursday [Season Win Totals]

Dr Z

Wins  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will the team have this year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2017 at 04:00 AM

11 hours ago, Ham said:

26 a on 34 fg

with this rag/tag group, I would have expected more of a YMCA style.  I think they are improving individually and as a team each game. I love the zone being thrown into the mix..  I don't think we will need to wait until next year to see results.  We may not win the MAC, but we won't be bottom dwellers.

Just a word about Groce's use of the zone defense. As Ham implies here, he loves using it on occasion to throw the opponents offense off balance. If you see a lot of zone defense in a game, be concerned. It means we do not match up well against our opponent. Illinois was without a solid point guard for much of Groce's time there (long story), and as a result we had to play a ton of zone defense just to keep the opposing point guard from driving the paint all day. This year the Zips have a mature, physical point guard in Malcolm Duvivier, so I'm confident he will be able to lock down the front porch. Next year with 2 young point guards you might see more zone. 

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Just a word about Groce's use of the zone defense. As Ham implies here, he loves using it on occasion to throw the opponents offense off balance. If you see a lot of zone defense in a game, be concerned. It means we do not match up well against our opponent. Illinois was without a solid point guard for much of Groce's time there (long story), and as a result we had to play a ton of zone defense just to keep the opposing point guard from driving the paint all day. This year the Zips have a mature, physical point guard in Malcolm Duvivier, so I'm confident he will be able to lock down the front porch. Next year with 2 young point guards you might see more zone. 

Good insight. I love throwing the zone in for a little wrinkle. Also helps our players rest some.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Good insight. I love throwing the zone in for a little wrinkle. Also helps our players rest some.

Exactly.  I hate an all game zone, like Syracuse.  You could see when the Zips switched over to it against App State that the App State players had an initial "what the hell is this?" reaction for a possession.  I think the 1-3-1 also tends to throw teams due to its little use by teams and it being conductive to traps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Thanks! Nothing like a little shameless pandering to the base to bump up your profile, right?! Ha! I already bought in emotionally, Griswold will now have to tell me where I buy in literally. I expect the handshake will come sometime after I reach Zip Junkie status.

By referring to Kent as Can't, you're doing more than just pandering; you're helping all of humanity. 

Excellent insight on Groce's use of the zone. I've never understood using just one type of defensive scheme, as most teams don't just use one offensive play or scheme. As previously mentioned, the 1-3-1 is particularly interesting as it's not used as often by teams, and when you set up in a 1-3-1, everyone from above can see you're in a 1-3-1; it's a very definitive formation. Does Groce prefer the 1-3-1 to the 2-3, 3-2, or other zone formations?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, lilroodude said:

By referring to Kent as Can't, you're doing more than just pandering; you're helping all of humanity. 

Excellent insight on Groce's use of the zone. I've never understood using just one type of defensive scheme, as most teams don't just use one offensive play or scheme. As previously mentioned, the 1-3-1 is particularly interesting as it's not used as often by teams, and when you set up in a 1-3-1, everyone from above can see you're in a 1-3-1; it's a very definitive formation. Does Groce prefer the 1-3-1 to the 2-3, 3-2, or other zone formations?

That's a great question. When Griswold mentioned the 1-3-1 zone it got my attention, because I always thought Groce ran a 2-3 at Illinois. So I am going to pay closer attention next game myself. It's possible the answer is both 1-3-1 and 2-3 depending on personnel strengths. Having a guard like Duvivier leading a 1-3-1 makes perfect sense to me.   

Note: It turns out that Parrish is actually the guy leading the 1-3-1 zone and does a great job of moving around up top. I am just correcting myself.

Edited by Illini Zip

6 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

That's a great question. When Griswold mentioned the 1-3-1 zone it got my attention, because I always thought Groce ran a 2-3 at Illinois. So I am going to pay closer attention next game myself. It's possible the answer is both 1-3-1 and 2-3 depending on personnel strengths. Having a guard like Duvivier leading a 1-3-1 makes perfect sense to me.   

I'll add this: It may very well be a 1-3-1. It looks like one no matter what, but in high school we ran an inverted type of 2-3 that looked like a 1-3-1, so it is possible it is really a 2-3. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I see it.

We need someone smarter than me to chime in. We know that Eman is prone to foul trouble and we are a bit lean with the bigs. Would one zone be more protective than others? This may be a strategy at times over shaking up an opponents rhythm. With our athleticism, we might want to throw in a zone press at times as well.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

We need someone smarter than me to chime in. We know that Eman is prone to foul trouble and we are a bit lean with the bigs

Per Groce's post game comments last week - "We know the possibility exists that E-man will be out of the game. Sayles and Kostelac need to get better. It's our job to make them better."

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'll add this: It may very well be a 1-3-1. It looks like one no matter what, but in high school we ran an inverted type of 2-3 that looked like a 1-3-1, so it is possible it is really a 2-3. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I see it.

It is definitely a 1-3-1.  They threw in a 2-3 briefly at one point.

• Like 1

• Dr Z unpinned this topic