Game 7—App State Mountaineers

clarkwgriswold

The 5-5 App State Mountaineers come to the JAR on Saturday afternoon to face the Zips.  The Mountaineers have wins over Toccoa Falls, Bridgewater, Davidson, South Florida and UTEP and losses to Iowa State,  VCU, James Madison, Western Michigan and Western Carolina.  Nice schedule.   6-5 junior guard Ranshad Shabazz leads the team at 21.4 ppg while 6-9 sophomore forward Isaac Johnson leads rebounding at 8.7 pg.  They have averaged 87.5 ppg and given up 73.8 ppg.  

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It will be interesting to see the crowd a Saturday afternoon game brings in.  The crowds thus far have been awful and I am curious how the Zips followers respond to a Saturday afternoon game.

I'm not digging all the Saturday afternoon games. I work Saturdays and it makes it hard to get off in time with a 2 o clock start. 

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It will be interesting to see the crowd a Saturday afternoon game brings in.  The crowds thus far have been awful and I am curious how the Zips followers respond to a Saturday afternoon game.

I'm guessing it won't be good.

2pm starts are better than noon.

I still prefer centering my Saturday evening around a 7 pm Zips BB game, getting a couple near-campus beers and some food prior to the game. 

At least with a 2 pm start I can get my errands run in the morning, and have Saturday evening free to do whatever. 

We've had plenty of afternoon games in the past, usually when they've been altered to fit a TV schedule.  So, it looks like we're starting to repeat what's happened in football, where they spread games throughout the day on a Saturday, and your only "TV" coverage is still only ESPN3.

I often wonder if fatigue sets in among some fans outside the core circle this time of the year?  Once again (like 2015) we have football and soccer overlapping with the start of basketball well into the Christmas season.  MAC title games, MAC tournaments, Bowl Games, etc.  I think this makes a meaningless basketball game an easy thing to cross off the agenda on a Saturday afternoon, 3 weeks before Christmas.   A night game would probably be a far better option under these circumstances.  

To answer clarkwgriswold's post, I bet basketball attendance will improve a bit when this is all over, and basketball becomes the only game in town.  

Due to weather, the Appalachian Sate men’s basketball team’s flight was delayed. The game will be played tonight at 7 p.m. at JAR.

Scouting the Mountaineers
The team enters the game with a 5-5 overall record after splitting their last four games. The Mountaineers opened the season with a pair of wins (Toccoa Falls, 135-35, and Bridgewater, 95-57), before dropping a pair of contests (Iowa State, 104-98, and Western Michigan, 86-67). App State bounced back with a 76-72 win over UTEP and fell in overtime to James Madison, 105-99. In the last four contests, the Mountaineers defeated Davidson (78-62) and South Florida (84-61) and dropped games to VCU (85-72) and Western Carolina (72-71). App State averages 87.5 points per outing on 47.2 percent shooting from the floor and a 37.5 percent effort from beyond the 3-point arc, draining 10.6 triples a game.The Mountaineers have two players scoring in double figures led by Ronshad Shabazz with 21.4 points per game on 43.3 percent shooting from the field and 35.2 percent rate from beyond the 3-point with a second-best 25 made 3-pointers. He is the team leader in free throws made (47) and assists (34) while adding 22 rebounds and 11 steals. Justin Forrest follows with 17.2 points and a team-high 31 made triples. He shoots 41.1 percent from the floor and 39.7 percent from deep, while grabbing 32 rebounds and dishing out 23 assists. Isaac Johnson leads the squad on the glass, pulling down 8.7 rebounds per outing with 87 total boards.Defensively, App State limits its opponents to 73.8 points per game on 40.6 percent shooting from the floor and 33.6 percent from 3-point range, allowing only 7.4 long distance strikes per night. The Mountaineers have caused 148 turnovers (14.8 to/g) with 69 steals (6.9 stl/g), and boasts a 9.9 advantage on the glass, outrebounding their opponents 446-347.

Oh boy.  For those who aren't "in the loop", there's going to be a lot of angry people who show up at 2pm and find out that there's no game.  

I just wish we could have avoided an afternoon game from the outset.  It makes no sense considering what people are going to be doing during the day on Saturday, with just 2 weeks until Christmas.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Winter Storm "Benji" to be exact. When did they start naming "winter storms"?

A couple of years ago a professional weather guessers group decided it would be more valuable to  name winter storms rather than improving forecasts.  Like hurricanes, the first letter of each name follows an alphabetical order. Zoey is the name they will use this season if we get to a 26th storm.  We should start a campaign NOW to get Zippy used for the 2018-19 season. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

A couple of years ago a professional weather guessers group decided it would be more valuable to  name winter storms rather than improving forecasts.  Like hurricanes, the first letter of each name follows an alphabetical order. Zoey is the name they will use this season if we get to a 26th storm.  We should start a campaign NOW to get Zippy used for the 2018-19 season. 

You start a petition and I will sign it.