Game 7—App State Mountaineers

clarkwgriswold

21 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Watching the replay on espn3. I really like the female analyst.  She makes relevant, intelligent comments instead of stuff like "a 3 pointer could tie the game".   She says "I can't believe what we are seeing here.  12 assists on 13 field goals.". "Unselfish basketball".  I think there was also a comment how after a timeout the Zips really stepped up...

Yeah she seems pretty good. If I recall correctly, they mentioned on the first broadcast that she used to be an assistant    for our women’s team.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I haven't seen a player as legit as Utomi in a Zips' uniform in I don't know how long.  I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment & say "ever."  But...

After 7 games Utomi is hitting 50% of his field goals (excellent) but even better from 3 pt range at 50.9% (incredible). Top 15 in the country. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Watching the replay on espn3. I really like the female analyst.  She makes relevant, intelligent comments instead of stuff like "a 3 pointer could tie the game".   She says "I can't believe what we are seeing here.  15 assists on 16 field goals.". "Unselfish basketball".  I think there was also a comment how after a timeout the Zips really stepped up...

Think that is Jackie Windon, eh?  Former coach at Hoban and Case Western.  I think she does a fine job of keeping the discussion centered on basketball, when her partners want to go on a tangent.  She knows the game, and makes coaching decisions accessible to the viewer.  IOW, Jackie makes up for what the play-by-play announcer is missing.  :thumb:

What in God's name was that odd contest last night?  Were they supposed to make Star Wars type noises?

Also, the hippity hop ball race was a farce last night.  Clear cheating.  PED's, corked bats, blood doping and now cheating in the damn hippity hop ball race.  What's the sports world coming to?????

• Haha 1

I don't agree with it being such a huge loss for App State since they were underdogs in the first place, but I do agree that the Zips should not get too full of themselves. Our schedule has been absolutely horrendous. Our current Strength of Schedule is ranked about 300 out of 350. Yes, it's good that we've won more than we've lost, but it's difficult to tell anything since we lost to the only team with a pulse on the schedule so far (Dayton, who is playing at the level of a top-end MAC team so far).

Edited by ZachTheZip

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

I don't agree with it being such a huge loss for App State since they were underdogs in the first place, but I do agree that the Zips should not get too full of themselves. Our schedule has been absolutely horrendous. Our current Strength of Schedule is ranked about 300 out of 350. Yes, it's good that we've won more than we've lost, but it's difficult to tell anything since we lost to the only team with a pulse on the schedule so far (Dayton, who is playing at the level of a top-end MAC team so far).

Akron's SOS to this point is 236. You might have it mixed up with our old coach. His squad is 347 out of 351.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

GT wrote that it was a "heartbreaking outcome" for App State and that the Zips "eked out" a victory.  Oh, and the Zips shouldn't celebrate the victory too much because of all their all too obvious problems.  What a....&$#*!

Today he was giddily lighting up twitter about the Cleveland Browns :/

22 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Watching the replay on espn3. I really like the female analyst.  She makes relevant, intelligent comments instead of stuff like "a 3 pointer could tie the game".   She says "I can't believe what we are seeing here.  15 assists on 16 field goals.". "Unselfish basketball".  I think there was also a comment how after a timeout the Zips really stepped up...

She is an Akron area girl, Jackie Windom (spelling?).  I have officiated basketball games with her although I don't know if she still has time to ref.  She does a very good job with the mike and on the court. 

• Like 3

Jacki Windon  works for the Ohio High School Athletic Association, has extensive television commentary experience on Fox Sports Ohio and Time Warner Cable broadcasts. The former head women's basketball coach at Case Western Reserve also worked for Zips Athletics for three seasons, including two seasons with the women's basketball team.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Jacki Windon  works for the Ohio High School Athletic Association, has extensive television commentary experience on Fox Sports Ohio and Time Warner Cable broadcasts. The former head women's basketball coach at Case Western Reserve also worked for Zips Athletics for three seasons, including two seasons with the women's basketball team.

Looks like Jacki Windon has her own stalker.    :lol: