Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic

Z.I.P.

Certainly was incredibly disappointing as I'm sure it was for the players, staff, and folks who traveled to Hawaii.  I appreciate "1981s" comments above.  This is dime-store psychology but keeping a team unified and in control during a transition season has to be incredibly hard.  My fear would be that if we have more of these type of losses and get chewed up by Buffalo and Kent that some of the players will get really discouraged and want to bolt.  What Groce and his staff are doing with focusing on the team, cohesion, and unity hopefully will pay dividends as they face further adversity.

We faced a huge challenge this year no matter who the coach was.  I like a lot of what I see and while I'm excited for MAC play  I'm curious as to how our team stands up against our rivals.  With the prior coach and players, we sort of knew how the games would turn out.  This year...who knows.

I'm thinking ahead to the Eastern Michigan game and their zone and James Thompson IV and what a challenge that is going to be for these guys.

Edited by NWAkron

At this point in the season, the way I see it is we've got decent enough play at 4 of the 5 starting positions. Utomi, Ivey, and usually to a lesser extent, Duvivier are known quantities and are always going to bring something to the table. Cotton has shown he is capable enough of spelling Duvivier and seems to continually improve. I think we can get okay-enough production out of Sayles/Poke at the 5 on any given night. Obviously depth is an issue as well as expected. We really only have 2 bench players that you can count on to give you something and that is Cotton and Sayles. Patton and Marc should have been redshirted this year, but obviously couldn't due to lack of depth. Prime candidates for red-shirts next year, IMO with 4 new players coming into the fold. Parrish is the one position where I think we really need better play from. He's shown he's capable of it, but hasn't provided much as of late like he did earlier in the year. Maybe its a mid-season slump. Maybe he's better off being the 6th man, but I think as he goes, this team will go this year. It's unfair to ask that much of him, and i still think he's going to have a bright future no matter what, but it just is what it is due to our lack of depth and youth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

We faced a huge challenge this year no matter who the coach was.  I like a lot of what I see and while I'm excited for MAC play  I'm curious as to how our team stands up against our rivals.  With the prior coach and players, we sort of knew how the games would turn out.  This year...who knows.

I'm thinking ahead to the Eastern Michigan game and their zone and James Thompson IV and what a challenge that is going to be for these guys.

The MAC doesn't have any clear-cut bottom-feeders this year. Every team is projected to get at least ten wins and no team is expected to be in the bottom third of the RPI standings like we've seen in years past. Nobody's standing out with a great record right now, but there are no cupcakes.

A lot of insightful comments , I agree that we only have 2 1/22 players we can count on and that we sure could have used the 4 players sitting out. Realisticly, we will likely finish in the bottom half of the M.A.C ,but should be much improved next season.  To me, Poke is just not a factor on offense against a decent team, better off the bench, Sayles looks like he could develop. By the way, the 2 players who went with K.D.  we're non factors , no real loss there. Hoping for improvement tonite.

6 minutes ago, zipnetter55 said:

A lot of insightful comments , I agree that we only have 2 1/22 players we can count on and that we sure could have used the 4 players sitting out. Realisticly, we will likely finish in the bottom half of the M.A.C ,but should be much improved next season.  To me, Poke is just not a factor on offense against a decent team, better off the bench, Sayles looks like he could develop. By the way, the 2 players who went with K.D.  we're non factors , no real loss there. Hoping for improvement tonite.

This is true. The only player who could have returned that I'm wishing was still here is Antino.

• Thanks 1

I am late to comment, but I did watch the game. Everybody has already hit all the high points, so I will just add that for me the difference between the first half and second half was a lack of mental toughness. After that cheap play on Cotton the basketball game turned into a battle of wills and we simply didn't rise to the occasion. I'm not saying get into fights or get ejected, but Akron needed to make damn sure USC knew they were there to compete and wouldn't be pushed around. Zippy needs to develop his alter-ego "Chippy" and I am confident he will in time.

Go Zips!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I am late to comment, but I did watch the game. Everybody has already hit all the high points, so I will just add that for me the difference between the first half and second half was a lack of mental toughness. After that cheap play on Cotton the basketball game turned into a battle of wills and we simply didn't rise to the occasion. I'm not saying get into fights or get ejected, but Akron needed to make damn sure USC knew they were there to compete and wouldn't be pushed around. Zippy needs to develop his alter-ego "Chippy" and I am confident he will in time.

Go Zips!!

Wasn't our first time at that rodeo.  We need a Nate Linhart.

Edited by NWAkron

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

At this point in the season, the way I see it is we've got decent enough play at 4 of the 5 starting positions. Utomi, Ivey, and usually to a lesser extent, Duvivier are known quantities and are always going to bring something to the table. Cotton has shown he is capable enough of spelling Duvivier and seems to continually improve. I think we can get okay-enough production out of Sayles/Poke at the 5 on any given night. Obviously depth is an issue as well as expected. We really only have 2 bench players that you can count on to give you something and that is Cotton and Sayles. Patton and Marc should have been redshirted this year, but obviously couldn't due to lack of depth. Prime candidates for red-shirts next year, IMO with 4 new players coming into the fold. Parrish is the one position where I think we really need better play from. He's shown he's capable of it, but hasn't provided much as of late like he did earlier in the year. Maybe its a mid-season slump. Maybe he's better off being the 6th man, but I think as he goes, this team will go this year. It's unfair to ask that much of him, and i still think he's going to have a bright future no matter what, but it just is what it is due to our lack of depth and youth.

Parrish is bringing it so far. Let's see how this one ends up...

6 hours ago, zipnetter55 said:

To me, Poke is just not a factor on offense against a decent team, better off the bench, Sayles looks like he could develop.

I didn't catch it with my owns eyes, but according to ESPN's boxscore, Sayles got the start tonight. Groce seems to have good awareness in that regard, as he's already made 2 adjustments to the starting lineup this year in Parrish for Patton and Sayles for Poke.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Damn...no real complaints about the loss tonight (outside of the defense the last play). Princeton's record isn't that great but they have played a pretty decent schedule thus far. Even with our best teams, our realistic expectations would have been to go 2-1. Let's get the last one and get the away record-monkey off of our back.

• Like 2

Okay, no time to reminisce about bygone games...If Hawai'i wins tonight Akron plays Davidson at 7:30 AM Christmas morning, Hawaii time.  If Davidson wins, Akron plays Hawaii in the second game at about 9:45 in the morning.  I was very impressed with our grittiness against a very athletic Princeton team.  If we had Jackson and OR Hester, we would have beaten them.

After the UT Martin game I concluded it was only a matter of time before Sayles and Parrish were starters this season.  Looks like that may have come to fruition last night.  As I've said many times, I think E-Man can best contribute off of the bench in high energy spurts that him to go 100% and not worry about racking up fouls.

• Like 2

Groce went with his starters and stayed with them.  Utomi played the entire game and 3 of the 4 starters played around 35 minutes  We win this game if Daniel would hit the open 3 ball.  He went 2 of 9.  He was bad from long distance on Friday also.  Once again we got nothing offensively from Poke.  Our offensive  rebounding, assists and steals were also in the low digits.  At the Jar Ivey has been making great passes driving to the basket.  The penetration and dish has not been there during the tournament.  It could be the better competition that the players are quicker.  At the Jar it seems llike we had at least 3 guys going for the offensive boards.  Have not seen this rebounding intensity in the tourney.

On the positive side Duvivier kept us in the game when we needed a basket.  Always great to have a "go to" guy when the game is on the line.  Parish had a great first half. The team definately played better in the second half last night.  Hopefully, can salvage one game.  Go zips!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

SeriouMaybey?  The guy who has ZERO assists and 7 turnove.ns?  And a foul total that doubles his point total?  

I was suggesting more of a different approach. Maybe Marc Is not necessarily the best answer.

So tired of zones pushing us out to desperation 3s that have very little chance of going In.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

I was suggesting more of a different approach. Maybe Marc Is not necessarily the best answer.

So tired of zones pushing us out to desperation 3s that have very little chance of going In.

I get that part.  You're thinking about sliding someone into the middle of the zone who can orchestrate or score. 

Today at least, that might not have been the biggest problem.  You face the only other 0-2 team in the tournament, who's been recently scoring 60's, maybe 70's....and you give up 91 points. 

I was bothered by one thing that Coach did in the postgame.  He harped on the "freshman" factor for our failure today, but did so after a game where a freshman on the opposing team scored 30 points.   

20 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I get that part.  You're thinking about sliding someone into the middle of the zone who can orchestrate or score. 

Today at least, that might not have been the biggest problem.  You face the only other 0-2 team in the tournament, who's been recently scoring 60's, maybe 70's....and you give up 91 points. 

I was bothered by one thing that Coach did in the postgame.  He harped on the "freshman" factor for our failure today, but did so after a game where a freshman on the opposing team scored 30 points.   

Agreed. Defense was also an Issue today. Way too many 'easy' 3s.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Not all freshmen are equal.  Would you prefer he said "inexperienced" players?  You have Utomi, Ivey, and Duvivier and a bunch of really inexperienced guys.  That's what he could cobble together.