eSports

Joe Akron

This sounds crazy to me but... a young lady I work with and her husband rent a room to a guy that plays video games all day on the internet and people pay to watch (over the internet). She has been promoted twice in the past couple of years and the room renting/video playing/visitor has even moved with them.

Akron's focus on STEM and the recent accreditation of the Computer Information Systems program really play into this. There's actually been a demand for something like this on campus.

And before I hear anybody saying that this isn't sports: If Poker can get primetime spots on ESPN, then eSports like League of Legends or Smash belong there too. They're more fun to watch, at any rate. eSports is far bigger both by audience size and by financial measures than sports like golf or tennis.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2017 at 9:43 AM, zippy5 said:

Man times have changed. Our video game arena was just my dorm room in the Honors college.

Just for the record, nobody would have let me anywhere near an Honors facility back in my academic days.  Good for you, Zippy5. 

On 12/19/2017 at 5:07 PM, LZIp said:

Damn..I graduated a few years too early! Coulda finally got me an athletic scholarship!

Maybe it will get to that point.  Just for perspective, people were just starting to learn about Personal Computer when I was in college, and we were still playing Pong and Space Invaders on a TV screen.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2017 at 6:30 AM, skip-zip said:

Just for perspective, people were just starting to learn about Personal Computer when I was in college, and we were still playing Pong and Space Invaders on a TV screen.  

I knew there was a reason I liked you....

• Haha 1

From what I heard from admins attending the basketball tournament in Hawaii, this is in large part a promotion that's intended to appeal to and be marketed to future Honors College attendees.  Those big-headed types apparently are getting an oversized attention from university recruiters.  Smart guys may be the future.  Whodathunkit!

• 6 months later...

College Madden tournaments. Might be the answer to the football concussion problem.

Hmmm, do I see a way to finance my Masters?

My grandkids spend HOURS watching YouTube videos. Watching other people play video games. Who would have thought?

Then when they play the game themselves, they say the same things the gamers said on the videos.

Oh....... wow..... I am so excited :zzz:. No doubt this will save the athletics budget, solve our enrollment problems and electrify college fans across the country :rolleyes:

On 7/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, 72 Roo said:

Oh....... wow..... I am so excited :zzz:. No doubt this will save the athletics budget, solve our enrollment problems and electrify college fans across the country :rolleyes:

Have you ever played NCAA Football 14? The Info is ALWAYS FULL. Instant solution to our football attendance problems. ;)

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

https://buchtelite.com/35769/news/esports-at-ua-receives-mixed-reactions-from-community/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+buchtelite%2FruQx+(The+Buchtelite)

Our military will be defending us with guys/gals operating drones and equipment by "smashing buttons on a controller". Art history majors will be lucky to have a low-paying job working in a picture framing shop. Going to college for personal/intellectual enrichment is good but going for career preparation is what will drive the budget and enrollment numbers at UA.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Not sure what this means but they won and Matt Wilson is really proud. 

Wow...I mean, not to take a singe thing away from these young student/e-"athletes" (sorry if I triggered anyone).  Maybe this is the track and field team's answers!  e-track!