Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

I would be stunned if Bowden didn't get an extension. He brought a not great team to our second ever MAC championship appearence. I want to see a lot of change from the Zips in the offseason, but I doubt a change in head coach will be one of them. 

It would also be a huge mistake to let him coach a lame duck season. That is a good way to ruin recruiting for years to come. 

7 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

I would be stunned if Bowden didn't get an extension. He brought a not great team to our second ever MAC championship appearence. I want to see a lot of change from the Zips in the offseason, but I doubt a change in head coach will be one of them. 

It would also be a huge mistake to let him coach a lame duck season. That is a good way to ruin recruiting for years to come. 

Senderoff owes Dambrot a thank you for potentially saving his job after Akron laid an egg in last year's MAC Championship Game. Bowden owes Solich a thank you if he's brought back/extended. 

No way would I extend Bowden based on this year, and I'd consider relieving him of his duties, especially if he refuses to make any changes to his coaching staff.

1 minute ago, lilroodude said:

Senderoff owes Dambrot a thank you for potentially saving his job after Akron laid an egg in last year's MAC Championship Game. Bowden owes Solich a thank you if he's brought back/extended. 

No way would I extend Bowden based on this year, and I'd consider relieving him of his duties, especially if he refuses to make any changes to his coaching staff.

You can say that, but I think the Zips were a not good football team this year who way over performed in games when they absolutely needed to. Is it his fault that the team is not great talent-wise? Yes. Is it due in large part to his coaching that they overcame the talent difference so often? Yes. 

What i hope to see (but doubt will happen) is an extension with a clause that increases salaries for his assistants fairly substantially with the condition that he removes some of the coaches currently in place. Particularly Milwee and Jeff Bowden. 

2 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

If there is no announcement tonight does it impact us tomorrow on early signing day?

Eh doubt it, players that are skeptical probably weren't signing tomorrow anyway. I am a little surprised an extension wasn't worked out before this game so perhaps there is the possibility of no extension, but I would disagree with that.

22 minutes ago, roopride said:

We need a new OC!!!

Could someone help me please on this?  How is it not Bowdens fault that he has this god awful OC you all keep talking about.  I mean it's not like the OC is coaching in a different stadium.  This poor play calling is on Bowden.  

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

If there is no announcement tonight does it impact us tomorrow on early signing day?

I don't know if the absence of an extension hurts, but the presence of an extension certainly helps.  I'm surprised that an announcement hasn't already been made.  

FYI, Matt Campbell got an extension right after the regular season and we are expected 17 of 18 commits to sign tomorrow for Iowa State.  

The basketball to football similarities (and disparities) are stunning!
The similarities are that Dambrot and Bowden both seem to have figured out a way to win enough in the MAC but not enough at the national stage.

Another similarity is that majority of the fans have/had issues with assistant coaches - not so much the head coaches themselves.  

The difference is that most fans supported Dambrot because he is better than Hipsher. We seem to be forgetting that Bowden is (a tiny teeny bit) better than Ianello :D

Dambrot was the coach for what? 12 years? And while a lot of people (including me) talked about his program stagnating, I do not remember seeing anyone calling for his job. 

This is only Bowden's 5th year. The seniors we have on the team this year are players that Bowden had to recruit to a 1-11 team!!! Can you imagine the type of recruits who will talk to you when your team is 1-11, not only that year, also the year before... and the year before. How can we forget so fast? 

I am not happy with the last two blowout losses. They stink... but this program has not yet stagnated. It is still growing and it will be a shame to blow it up and start over. Bowden started his era with teams of mostly transfers and JUCO kids. They got us out of the basement of the D1 world. He started recruiting freshmen. Then we won a bowl game. Now better recruits are willing to talk to him. But not too many true freshmen contribute to a football team. You have to be patient. 

If I was the AD, I will extend Bowden's contract for another 2-3 years. There will be no big raises and Milwee's performance must be discussed...

Only if I was the AD :wave:

• Like 1

I'm confused.  Did we win the MAC East and extend our season by two games?  It seems some here would rather not extend the season two-games then to extend the season and lose them.

He should get a 3-year extension.

But now that we've "arrived" anything less then a .500 season is unacceptable, and a three-year extension (4-years) should include 2-3 more bowl appearances).  Anything less is unacceptable.  Losing to Kent is unacceptable.

Is that true that we waited until August of the following year to extend his contract after that Bowl Win in 2015?  That's what the link above says.  I just don't remember those details, but that seems strange to wait that long.  

I only have one question.  Where's those few posters who spent most of the entire last year telling us that Bowden was 100% gone at the end of the year?

Lets face it.  He's a bargain for what he has produced, and canning him now would not be good timing for this program.  But it's obvious that he does not believe that the actions of his OC are to blame for under-performance on that side of the ball.  And I don't know if he's going to get pressured to do something about that.    

Edited by skip-zip

I think Bowden and the administration need to let last night sink in before making any major decisions.  Let some calmer and more rational heads settle in.

As much as I am not a huge fan, I think you bring him back with conditions, primarily revisions of his coaching staff.  The play calling and special teams hampered the team all year and he defense had huge lapses.  There could be a hitch in that however, as Bowden seems very loyal to his crew.  On the other hand, he's not due much if any of a raise based upon his sub .500 overall and MAC records, and the Miami, Toledo and FAU losses do little to bolster his bargaining position.