Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

Last night was embarrassing. With that said, I think I would extend him, probably 2 years as I don't think 1 year is realistic. He is deserving of it based on what he has done with the program thus far, and it still seems to be trending up, albeit very slowly. There has been nothing that warrants a long-term extension in my eyes. We should have a better team next season. Some posters bring up good points that the deficiencies in the coaching staff are ultimately on him, and I agree, and it could end up being his downfall. I think I would try to force some assistant coach changes. Milwee is a favorite of criticism on this site. I've normally defended him, but last night was bad. However, I think he has done a solid job out developing the starting QBs and creating depth at that position (outside of last year, of course). I would be in favor of trying to bring in an outside OC and demote Milwee to just QB coach. As bad as the offense was last night, the defense was right there with them. Amato seemingly gets a pass on here due to his 2015 defense. That unit has been bottom to middle of the MAC probably every other year. I could go either way on wanting a change there. I do not see any changes being made to the staff unless somebody decides to leave. Good ol' boys club could end up being his downfall.

FWIW, for as good as an athlete as Kato is, he's had one good game and that was vs OU. Miami, Kent, Toledo, and FAU were not good. He has quite a bit of improvement to make if he wants to be the future. He is not as effective running the ball as I would have expected.

I wonder how long it will be until Kendal Briles gets a HC gig?

Edited by LZIp

Here's an Unpopular Opinion & I hope I'm not eaten by my own for expressing it: The problem isn't really Milwee's play calling.  The problem is that the OL couldn't run block.  At all.

Just throwing that out there because I think if the OL could run block even a smidgeon, it would have made the play calling look a lot better.

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here's an Unpopular Opinion & I hope I'm not eaten by my own for expressing it: The problem isn't really Milwee's play calling.  The problem is that the OL couldn't run block.  At all.

Just throwing that out there because I think if the OL could run block even a smidgeon, it would have made the play calling look a lot better.

Always like hearing your opinion, B&G. I guess my counter to that would be why did we place such an emphasis on running the ball if our run blocking is known to be weak (and running game in general). I didn't understand 2 straight runs and then you're looking at 3rd and 10. Seemed to happen multiple times. Kato was 9/15. While that isn't great, I don't think its as ineffective as the run game was.

Edited by LZIp

There are multiple issues. We were on our 3rd and 4th RBs, eventually just our 3rd when Edwards went out. We were on our 2nd QB, making his 4th start. The line couldn't run block, and we had 2 okay receiving options, after the departures of Lane, Natson and the injury to MTB. And obviously, Milwee isn't great. I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be, but when you put it all together, last night is what you get. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Last night was embarrassing. With that said, I think I would extend him, probably 2 years as I don't think 1 year is realistic. He is deserving of it based on what he has done with the program thus far, and it still seems to be trending up, albeit very slowly. There has been nothing that warrants a long-term extension in my eyes. We should have a better team next season. Some posters bring up good points that the deficiencies in the coaching staff are ultimately on him, and I agree, and it could end up being his downfall. I think I would try to force some assistant coach changes. Milwee is a favorite of criticism on this site. I've normally defended him, but last night was bad. However, I think he has done a solid job out developing the starting QBs and creating depth at that position (outside of last year, of course). I would be in favor of trying to bring in an outside OC and demote Milwee to just QB coach. As bad as the offense was last night, the defense was right there with them. Amato seemingly gets a pass on here due to his 2015 defense. That unit has been bottom to middle of the MAC probably every other year. I could go either way on wanting a change there. I do not see any changes being made to the staff unless somebody decides to leave. Good ol' boys club could end up being his downfall.

FWIW, for as good as an athlete as Kato is, he's had one good game and that was vs OU. Miami, Kent, Toledo, and FAU were not good. He has quite a bit of improvement to make if he wants to be the future. He is not as effective running the ball as I would have expected.

I wonder how long it will be until Kendal Briles gets a HC gig?

If we hang our hat on Kato, we will struggle.  I don't have the stomach to watch the replay, but Kato seemed to bail at the hint of pressure.  He can't seem to be able to find the open receiver.  You can't see the whole field on TV, but it's telling when they zoom in on the receiver and there are 3 or 4 defenders on coverage.  Someone had to be open. 

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think Bowden and the administration need to let last night sink in before making any major decisions.  Let some calmer and more rational heads settle in.

As much as I am not a huge fan, I think you bring him back with conditions, primarily revisions of his coaching staff.  The play calling and special teams hampered the team all year and he defense had huge lapses.  There could be a hitch in that however, as Bowden seems very loyal to his crew.  On the other hand, he's not due much if any of a raise based upon his sub .500 overall and MAC records, and the Miami, Toledo and FAU losses do little to bolster his bargaining position.

Makes sense. Even if there was any consideration to making a HC change,and I do not think that would be appropriate at this point, you would at least hope the AD raises some of these issues people are posting about when an extension is discussed with Bowden. For recruiting purposes you have to go into to next season with at least a one year extension to Bowden. Maybe there is something in his contract that kicks in if he wins the Division and goes to a Bowl. I do feel that if we get into late October/November and we are seeing the same things we are seeing now it might be time to reassess. If they can win 6 games in the MAC next season they will have a shot again. I think that 6 MAC wins should be the objective every season. Oh well,lets see what happens.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m not trying to eat you as you say but what you saw last night was a true spread offense, how many WR stays, screens did they run?  Plus guy in motion bubble because they knew it was the LB on him & couldn’t catch him, that opens up the run game & deep passing because it spreads the field & makes you press on the edges, let’s your athletes make plays

Our offense sucks & runs the same run plays & vertical passing plays over & over, 

Edited by 94zipgrad

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Agree. But a good offensive coordinator (and QB) can scheme around a bad O-line. Not all the time, of course, but I'm sure we've all seen that screen passes can kill an overly aggressive defense. 

4 hours ago, Ham said:

If we hang our hat on Kato, we will struggle.  I don't have the stomach to watch the replay, but Kato seemed to bail at the hint of pressure.  He can't seem to be able to find the open receiver.  You can't see the whole field on TV, but it's telling when they zoom in on the receiver and there are 3 or 4 defenders on coverage.  Someone had to be open. 

Yeah, he's a rookie, but his decision-making is often needlessly high risk/high reward. 

How many times is he going to lose yards when he's scrambling to nowhere? Continually earning 2nd and 14 is not going to cut it. 

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Everyone piles on Milwee but obviously Bowden doesn't have any problem with the play calling or he would have done something about it.

I admit I have dissed Milwee on these pages before....but like NWA, I'm beginning to think (and hear from some of the lower assistant coaches and players) that Bowden keeps a tight reign on what is called and not....

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I admit I have dissed Milwee on these pages before....but like NWA, I'm beginning to think (and hear from some of the lower assistant coaches and players) that Bowden keeps a tight reign on what is called and not....

Which might be true, but doesn't mean that the Zips don't need a new OC. If Bowden is calling the plays then they need to convince him to give it up and hire someone who can be more effective.

8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Miami, Toledo and FAU losses do little to bolster his bargaining position.

But, breaking through with long-overdue wins over BG, Western, and OU will play to his credit as well. 

6 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Everyone piles on Milwee but obviously Bowden doesn't have any problem with the play calling or he would have done something about it.

That's why I've pointed that out many times.  The problem is that the guy running the show obviously doesn't feel that this is the problem with the offense.  So, I do agree with those who feel that our leadership should make Bowden closely and objectively evaluate his staff that's going to stay with him.  I bet that his brother and Chuck would be much more difficult to part with than Milwee.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm aware of that.  I included BG because we had consistently lost to them for so long.  Same with WMU.    And that road win against Western was a HUGE road win under some very difficult circumstances.  

Don't mind me skip.  I still have the red @$$ over the Miami loss!

16 hours ago, Akron1 said:

Wait, I'm confused.

This link states that TB is inked through 2021 but I can't find anything (news online) that corroborates that date. 

From reading on this site, I've learned that Coach's contract runs through the 2018 season but that seems in conflict with the 2021 date from the newsday link above and articles online about the extension he received in 2013. 

Does anyone have a definitive source for contract information for coaching staffs?

8 hours ago, CDMac said:

Does anyone have a definitive source for contract information for coaching staffs?

I think its all supposed to be public records being that he is employed by a public U. The best way would be to go through the U somehow. Not sure if its worth the hassle though. I have trouble believing newsday is correct.

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I think its all supposed to be public records being that he is employed by a public U. The best way would be to go through the U somehow. Not sure if its worth the hassle though. I have trouble believing newsday is correct.

If only we had a reporter that could get us some answers.

TB's comment about how he and Chuck knew they were coaching for their jobs a few games back confirms to me that there was no extension. Unless there was one in the past couple weeks that was unannounced, but I don't believe that would happen

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

TB's comment about how he and Chuck knew they were coaching for their jobs a few games back confirms to me that there was no extension.

Yes, I think this is the main source of my confusion too.

Was hoping they would have gotten something done between the MACC and the bowl game and announced it like FAU did with Kiffin.