Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe let him finish out next year and be looking?  The Flushes disaster of a coaching search may have have caused some angst.  But what the hell do I know?  Not much.

You can't expect him to bring in any recruits when the coaches contract would be up by the time they get on campus.

Edited by LZIp

Zips won a lot of games by sheer luck going their way a few times... the other games were beatdowns just as bad as the bowl game but not as publicized.... I think the school needs to rethink the coaching situation... Terry is a great coach with a lot of knowledge, experience, etc  but I don't think it fits with Akrons building... 

16 minutes ago, zipper_head said:

Zips won a lot of games by sheer luck going their way a few times...

No offense, but this might be the worst argument I see against Bowden. I don't even know what it is supposed to mean honestly. Was the Troy loss sheer luck against us? We played a horrible game and they converted some big plays on their last drive to win it. Was the Miami loss sheer luck against us? Had to throw in a freshman QB making their first start on a few days notice and they got their starting QB back. Was Buffalo a lucky win? They got their starting QB back against us after missing considerable time. Is our captain on offense and defense missing most of the season sheer luck going our way?

Was last year after we started 5-3 and ended up finishing the season with a WR at QB sheer luck in our favor?

I believe we win or lose every game as a result of the player and coach performance. There are a few lucky breaks that go our way and a few bad breaks that go our way in both every game and season.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, zipper_head said:

Zips won a lot of games by sheer luck going their way a few times... the other games were beatdowns just as bad as the bowl game but not as publicized.... I think the school needs to rethink the coaching situation... Terry is a great coach with a lot of knowledge, experience, etc  but I don't think it fits with Akrons building... 

Good teams create their own luck by being opportunistic. But luck and opportunity can't overcome a major talent differential. We're not there yet, especially in the depth department which is why we can't seem to keep up with high-tempo teams. Recruiting has improved by an unfathomable amount since Bowden's early years at Akron. We're closer than you think.

4 hours ago, zipper_head said:

Those seem to be attributes any school would want in a coach.    

Earlier in the season I was firmly in the camp of questioning whether Bowden should be back next year.  Especially after our win at BUGS.  I know it sounds odd to want Bowden's seat to be hot after a win, but that BUGS game was possibly the ugliest, most poorly played (by both teams) football game I've ever witnessed.  We won, but I was thoroughly unimpressed.  That performance @ BUGS, coming on the heels of being humiliated by Penn State & dominated in the 2nd half against Iowa State, had me almost completely disillusioned with Bowden & Co.  And, honestly, I'm still more than a bit salty about how badly we lost both the MACC & Boca Bowl. 

But, having said that, I believe Bowden should definitely get an extension.

It's the recruiting.

Last year's recruiting class was FINALLY a good one.  As is this year's class.  It seems as if recruiting has finally gotten untracked.  I'm expecting us to be better next year than we were this year, and better the year after that.  We've got some really good young talent ready to take the field next season & we signed more just yesterday.  I think these last two recruiting classes contain more top talent than Akron's brought in in the last decade combined.  I've been waiting my entire adult life for the Zips to be the destination for top local talent and Bowden & Co. seem to have finally done that.

• Like 1

@Blue & Gold

So here's the $1-million question: these are the two most talented recruiting classes (albeit young) Akron has ever had.  What's the reasonable expectation for the Zips going forward?

Assuming Bowden get's a 3-year contract extension, making 4-years Bowden is locked in: I'd say the Reasonable expectations are (in no particular order):

-Season less then .500 is unacceptable.  Frankly, anything less than a 7-win season is unacceptable.

-Bowl games 3/4 years

-Another MAC Championship Appearance (I say another because good-lord is the MAC polar, but by "another" we need to win the MAC East outright)

-Win against "Known" G5 Team (Northwestern and Nebraska are hanging on the tree next year...Illinois in 2019...)

-9-win season (I'm looking at 2019 for this...two years of getting young players developed, freshman this year (Like Kato) will be Juniors...we play @Illinois, vs UAB and vs Troy.  That's the season I expect something HUGE.  2018 we will still have a relatively young, but talented, team.

Wish List:

-MAC Championship

-Several BIG wins in one season (against non-MAC teams)

-Another Bowl Win

-10-win Season

I'm willing to say here and now that 2019 is my do-or-die season for Bowden.  I need to see something dramatic happen by that season.  And I think that is beyond fair, as the official ZNO Bowden Cheerleader.  

Now, go ahead and hate my opinion y'all.  :D

Edited by Balsy

12 minutes ago, Balsy said:

(I'm looking at 2019 for this...two years of getting young players developed, freshman this year (Like Kato) will be Juniors...we play @Illinois, vs UAB and vs Troy.  That's the season I expect something HUGE.  2018 we will still have a relatively young, but talented, team.)

This is where my thinking is as well.

Next year may be a little rough at first with the QB (whoever that may be) & new WR's having to develop some chemistry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Balsy said:

@Blue & Gold

So here's the $1-million question: these are the two most talented recruiting classes (albeit young) Akron has ever had.  What's the reasonable expectation for the Zips going forward?

Assuming Bowden get's a 3-year contract extension, making 4-years Bowden is locked in: I'd say the Reasonable expectations are (in no particular order):

-Season less then .500 is unacceptable.  Frankly, anything less than a 7-win season is unacceptable.

-Bowl games 3/4 years

-Another MAC Championship Appearance (I say another because good-lord is the MAC polar, but by "another" we need to win the MAC East outright)

-Win against "Known" G5 Team (Northwestern and Nebraska are hanging on the tree next year...Illinois in 2019...)

-9-win season (I'm looking at 2019 for this...two years of getting young players developed, freshman this year (Like Kato) will be Juniors...we play @Illinois, vs UAB and vs Troy.  That's the season I expect something HUGE.  2018 we will still have a relatively young, but talented, team.

Wish List:

-MAC Championship

-Several BIG wins in one season (against non-MAC teams)

-Another Bowl Win

-10-win Season

I'm willing to say here and now that 2019 is my do-or-die season for Bowden.  I need to see something dramatic happen by that season.  And I think that is beyond fair, as the official ZNO Bowden Cheerleader.  

Now, go ahead and hate my opinion y'all.  :D

Excellent post.  You and I are polar opposites on Bowden, but we certainly want to the same things.  What if we were to lock him into a 3 year extension and then next year we have all the same problems and end up 6-6?  I don't want to see the university giving him a $1.2 million (2 years salary?) Golden parachute as opposed to letting him go now or just letting him finish his contract. 

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Excellent post.  You and I are polar opposites on Bowden, but we certainly want to the same things.  What if we were to lock him into a 3 year extension and then next year we have all the same problems and end up 6-6?  I don't want to see the university giving him a $1.2 million (2 years salary?) Golden parachute as opposed to letting him go now or just letting him finish his contract. 

This is why I am not an AD.  :lol:  

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

You can't expect him to bring in any recruits when the coaches contract would be up by the time they get on campus.

I agree.  However, watching Kiffin and so many others, I don't know how any recruit can even begin to trust that the recruiting coach will be there by the time he graduates (or even plays).  And this applies to my newly beloved Matt Campbell.  We want to think that he loves Ames and will stay at Iowa State, but he has already shown that he was willing to bolt on Toledo after a one day conversation with our AD.  

It would be crazy not to give Bowden a contract extension.  If it hasn't been done yet, it should be done tonight, while there is still one more day in the early signing period. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cykron said:

I agree.  However, watching Kiffin and so many others, I don't know how any recruit can even begin to trust that the recruiting coach will be there by the time he graduates (or even plays).  And this applies to my newly beloved Matt Campbell.  We want to think that he loves Ames and will stay at Iowa State, but he has already shown that he was willing to bolt on Toledo after a one day conversation with our AD.  

It would be crazy not to give Bowden a contract extension.  If it hasn't been done yet, it should be done tonight, while there is still one more day in the early signing period. 

I already heard Matt Campell's name being tossed around this year, so he will be likely on his way out. Kiffin will either implode the FAU program or leave. It's hard to remember when I last saw an adult with the amount of self-sabotage as he exhibits.

I think stability is under-rated. As long as we have an AD and University President who appreciate stability, being a competitive team within the MAC, annually, and  a good reputation, Bowden will be around. The minute someone wants the flash if Lane Kiffin, Bowden won't be around. Finding these flashy guys us a deep shoot, and when you do find them, they are usually gone in 3-4 years. Ask WMU who returned to the ranks of being mid to upper tier MAC with "elite" in the rear view mirror.

18 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I already heard Matt Campell's name being tossed around this year, so he will be likely on his way out. Kiffin will either implode the FAU program or leave. It's hard to remember when I last saw an adult with the amount of self-sabotage as he exhibits.

I think stability is under-rated. As long as we have an AD and University President who appreciate stability, being a competitive team within the MAC, annually, and  a good reputation, Bowden will be around. The minute someone wants the flash if Lane Kiffin, Bowden won't be around. Finding these flashy guys us a deep shoot, and when you do find them, they are usually gone in 3-4 years. Ask WMU who returned to the ranks of being mid to upper tier MAC with "elite" in the rear view mirror.

WMU just had the highest ranked recruiting class in MAC history. They'll be fine

11 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think stability is under-rated. As long as we have an AD and University President who appreciate stability, being a competitive team within the MAC, annually, and  a good reputation, Bowden will be around. The minute someone wants the flash if Lane Kiffin, Bowden won't be around. 

I would agree with this statement, for the most part.  But, you don't even need "flash" to stoke the ambitions of an AD.  Always be ready for the unexpected.  

15 hours ago, NWAkron said:

What will happen is that Fleck will be only average at Minnesota and then return to the MAC to coach Akron.  Sort of like Groce in basketball:rolleyes:

I'm getting the ol' rowboat out of storage and waterproofing the oars, ready here!  :lol:

On 12/20/2017 at 11:21 PM, CDMac said:

Wait, I'm confused.

This link states that TB is inked through 2021 but I can't find anything (news online) that corroborates that date. 

From reading on this site, I've learned that Coach's contract runs through the 2018 season but that seems in conflict with the 2021 date from the newsday link above and articles online about the extension he received in 2013. 

Does anyone have a definitive source for contract information for coaching staffs?

"http://www.uakron.edu/bot/docs/2016/Board Book for August 16, 2016.pdf"

Athletics There are 5 personnel actions in Athletics for changes to Head Coaching Contracts: 1. Terry Bowden, Head Football Coach – two-year contract extension; change in stipend for apparel and footwear contract from $25,000 to $30,000; relinquish administrative stipend for club membership and insert new language to support club membership; change in Academic Progress Rate bonus structure for Head Coach in Exhibit A and Assistant Coaches in Exhibit B of Employment Contract 2. Keith Dambrot, Head Men’s Basketball Coach – one-year contract extension 3. Noreen Herlihy, Head Women’s Soccer Coach – three-year contract extension 4. Jenny King, Head Women’s Golf Coach – new employment contract 5. Brandon Padgett, Head Women’s Tennis Coach – new employment contract

So if I understand it, he was previously signed thru 2018 and was extended in Aug. 2016 (after the tater bowl season) for 2019 and 2020. I have no memory of hearing about that last year - either it flew totally under the radar or I need to see my gerontologist soon.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 11:57 AM, ZachTheZip said:

Good teams create their own luck by being opportunistic. But luck and opportunity can't overcome a major talent differential. We're not there yet, especially in the depth department which is why we can't seem to keep up with high-tempo teams. Recruiting has improved by an unfathomable amount since Bowden's early years at Akron. We're closer than you think.

You're not allowed to use this when one of your arguments against Groce was that he got lucky at OU with his NCAA Tourney wins.

App State was well prepared against Toledo and shut them down. What does that say about the abilities and preparation of this coaching staff?

In regards to the effect on recruiting, what about the message of "we don't want mediocrity at Akron" and the positive effect that could possibly have? These recruits just saw Akron get BLOWN out in back to back nationally televised games. Let's not pretend that's anything but negative publicity.