Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

"http://www.uakron.edu/bot/docs/2016/Board Book for August 16, 2016.pdf"

Athletics There are 5 personnel actions in Athletics for changes to Head Coaching Contracts: 1. Terry Bowden, Head Football Coach – two-year contract extension; change in stipend for apparel and footwear contract from $25,000 to $30,000; relinquish administrative stipend for club membership and insert new language to support club membership; change in Academic Progress Rate bonus structure for Head Coach in Exhibit A and Assistant Coaches in Exhibit B of Employment Contract 2. Keith Dambrot, Head Men’s Basketball Coach – one-year contract extension 3. Noreen Herlihy, Head Women’s Soccer Coach – three-year contract extension 4. Jenny King, Head Women’s Golf Coach – new employment contract 5. Brandon Padgett, Head Women’s Tennis Coach – new employment contract

So if I understand it, he was previously signed thru 2018 and was extended in Aug. 2016 (after the tater bowl season) for 2019 and 2020. I have no memory of hearing about that last year - either it flew totally under the radar or I need to see my gerontologist soon.

Nice work. I guess that answers my question. I hope Bowden is able to move the program to the next level.

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

After further thought and consultation, it would appear that Bowden is indeed on the final year of his contract in 2018. His original contract was for 5 yrs. After the Potato bowl win in 2015 he was given a 2 year extension which covered 17 & 18. Right?

He had been extended previously for a couple years, in 2012 or 2013.

The final word.

https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/terry-bowden/

Base compensation

2017 guaranteed pay: $406,000

Total contract pay: $3,630,000

Contract length: 9 years

Start date: 12/22/2011

Last amended: 8/1/2016

Expires: 2/28/2021

Incentives

CFP semifinal appearance:$50,000

Conference title bonus: $50,000

Conference regular season division title bonus: $25,000

Coach of the year award bonus:$15,000 for MAC coach of year;

Academic bonuses: $5,000 for graduation rate of 70%; $10,000 for 75%; $20,000 for 80%; $5,000 for APR of 935; $10,000 for 960; $20,000 for 970; $10,000 for team GPA of 2.75; $20,000 for 3.0; $20,000 for fewer than 50 “failing grades of withdraws of team members”; $10,000 for 51 to 75.

Car: one car

Golf/country club: $6,000 stipend to cover country club costs.

Other Perks

Miscellaneous perks: $12,000 expense allowance for entertainment; $1,000 annually from Wilson for endorsing footballs

Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $400,000 before 2/28/18; $300,000 before 2/28/19; $200,000 before 2/28/20; $100,000 before 2/28/21.

Edited by Hilltopper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

Not one person who reads this board knew Bowden was extended last year?  How is that possible?  Zippy5 is right.  GT should not have a job in this town.

GoZips dropped the ball on it too.  Why didn't they have a write-up that their football coach's contract has been extended by two years?  Hell, the UAkron website too for that matter.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

That was about the time of all the backlash with UA finances so that could be true

Well it seems that it was just an extension and not a raise, so I don't know what there is really to make a stink about considering a football coach would have to be employed regardless. But I'd never put anything past the mass of crybabies out there. Bowden's contract puts him at the bottom of the MAC. The only coach lower is Leipold in Buffalo. Haynes' was a whole $88 annually lower. I would imagine Sean Lewis' contract is higher.

Looking at his contract and what he's done with the program thus far, its been quite a bargain just for him to takes us from horrible to average/slightly above average MAC program. If he could take us to a true contender in the next few years.....

https://projects.newsday.com/databases/long-island/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/?where=conference=MAC&order=2017_guaranteed_pay_DESC&offset=0

On 12/26/2017 at 10:39 PM, zippy5 said:

Getsy to Miss St as OC. Might not be a bad plan B if things go awry with Terry

Thats the guy I was hoping would find his way back to Akron at some point.Oh well. Read somewhere a year ago that he was with the Packers in some 'quality control' gig I believe. Think he was at IUP for a while also. Western PA guy? Think you might see a noticeable improvement in QB play if you could bring a gut like him in here. He liked Akron enough to come here from Pitt with JD if I am not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong.

19 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Thats the guy I was hoping would find his way back to Akron at some point.Oh well. Read somewhere a year ago that he was with the Packers in some 'quality control' gig I believe. Think he was at IUP for a while also. Western PA guy? Think you might see a noticeable improvement in QB play if you could bring a gut like him in here. He liked Akron enough to come here from Pitt with JD if I am not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that was the case. Thing is - Miss St. OC pays better than Green Bay WR coach, if I had to guess, while UA OC would not. So our only hope of bringing him back here would have been HC for the money to make sense for him. 

23 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I think that was the case. Thing is - Miss St. OC pays better than Green Bay WR coach, if I had to guess, while UA OC would not. So our only hope of bringing him back here would have been HC for the money to make sense for him. 

If, at some point in the next year or so, we move on from Bowden, then maybe Getsy could get a look as our HC. Just a thought. Something that would make more sense, at least to me, would be to fire Milwee and bring Getsy in as OC and Assoc. Head Coach under Bowden. I know it can't happen this coming season obviously with him just getting hired at Miss St.

Edited by blueandgold

50 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

If, at some point in the next year or so, we move on from Bowden, then maybe Getsy could get a look as our HC. Just a thought. Something that would make more sense, at least to me, would be to fire Milwee and bring Getsy in as OC and Assoc. Head Coach under Bowden. I know it can't happen this coming season obviously with him just getting hired at Miss St.

My point was I think Getsy probably made more as a GB WR coach than we could pay for an OC, and definitely more as a Miss State OC, so Getsy as an OC here was most likely never a possibility.

I will admit that Getsy in the future is intriguing to me. Him going from GB WR coach to Miss St OC for a few years aligns almost too perfect if Bowden can't continue to elevate. Players love coaches who have been in the NFL. I will add, in what I have read (not very much),  it seems like it is mostly just a title rather than regular OC duties for now. Moorhead is supposedly calling plays.

Moorhead has already made certain that he will be calling the plays for the Bulldogs, so it looks like Getsy will serve in a role similar to Billy Gonzales under Dan Mullen, coaching State's wide receivers with the title of co-offensive coordinator.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/luke-getsy-to-be-hired-as-mississippi-states-offensive-coordinator-and-wide-receivers-coach/ar-BBHqd9l

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

My point was I think Getsy probably made more as a GB WR coach than we could pay for an OC, and definitely more as a Miss State OC, so Getsy as an OC here was most likely never a possibility.

Yes, you are right about that. I just threw in the extra title of Assoc HC along with OC which might bring the salary up for him. Also that would possibly allow for Getsy to be the future successor as HC.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...