Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If the Zips go onto win 9-10 games I can see how his résumé could warrant P5 consideration, but at his age it's going to be hard for him to land a job.

35 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Who would take him at his age?  Seriously? smh

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it one more; Terry Bowden will retire as head football coach of the Akron Zips.  

Go Zips.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

FWIW.  Found online that if they were to fire Bowden this year it's $300,000.  Then drops $100,000 each year until 2/28/21.   So if they fire him March 1, 2019, Akron would owe him $200,000.  Not sure it's a good source but makes sense.

If the team lays a big egg this season I think it would take Williams about 5 phone calls to raise the cash.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I know in my house, we lost our patience.  

I am the biggest Bowden supporter here (I think) and I'm losing my patience as well.  

Now that I've had a couple of days...and at the very least got to celebrate a Browns win...I'm still angry as hell and glad I didn't finish watching that shitshow; but they could move me off the ledge if Bowden could pull off a miracle against buffalo this week.  Any given day in the MAC a team can lay an egg...perhaps Miami is the mulligan this year and they go out and beat Buffalo this weekend.  

But until I see that happen, I am growing restless myself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Not just one loss.  The body of work.  He gets lucky on occasion.  That's about it.  

He inherited a program with 3 wins in the previous 3 seasons, has taken us to two of our three ever bowl games.. on the road to another. Beat NW on the road.. Lucky. Sure.

40 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

He inherited a program with 3 wins in the previous 3 seasons, has taken us to two of our three ever bowl games.. on the road to another. Beat NW on the road.. Lucky. Sure.

I agree, took program out of the dumps, everything is better without a doubt, my frustration is we can’t seem to beat you in different ways offensively, We couldn’t get anything going Saturday & we never adjusted.  Change the package, hurry up, do something 

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

holy crap one loss and we're already talking about firing? Let's beat UB and get the extension talk going.

Did you and I switch?  you're sounding like me!

It's really the body of work/Position for me.  Kato isn't a new starter.  The Zips played well in the OCC and then layed a 41-17 egg to a 1-4 MAC team.  It's embarrassing and I'm getting tired of constantly being embarrassed as a fan.  I always talk of the Zips...and to have them lay an egg every...single...time.  Zips had a golden chance for this to be "The" year.  But it just feels like after losing to Miami they'll hobble their way to another "maybe they' get 6-7 wins.  I agree...that's good for what were historically...but when is it OUR turn to have "THE" year, you know?

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Correction: He inherited a team that had 2 wins in it's previous 2 seasons and proceeded to go 1-11 in his first season.  Just saying.

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

He inherited a 1-11 team 7 years ago. That's a lifetime ago in sports. He's now the 2nd longest tenured coach in the MAC. That shouldn't be used as an excuse any longer for the cycle of mediocrity we find ourselves in. We should be in a position to compete for MAC Championships by now. No getting smoked by Toledo last year on national TV doesn't in my mind count as competing.

I have been critical of Bowden on this forum, but I am very appreciative that he brought us out of that cycle of being bottom feeders. I just have no faith he can lead us to being top contenders in the MAC, which is what I aspire the program to be. This program just reeks of stagnation. 

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I have been critical of Bowden on this forum, but I am very appreciative that he brought us out of that cycle of being bottom feeders. I just have no faith he can lead us to being top contenders in the MAC, which is what I aspire the program to be.

These are my feelings on the subject.  I respect, and am deeply appreciative of, the way Bowden has brought this program back from the less-than-zero state of annihilation left by Ianello.  But... eh... I just have the feeling Bowden's taken the program as far as he is able.  

I'm sure Larry Williams, being a football guy, has a short list of candidates on speed dial he's probably salivating to give a call.

Having said that, if Larry Williams does make a change, we've got a number of assistants on staff who I hope the new coach would consider keeping.  The #1 guy being Otis Mounds.  He's been an absolute recruiting monster the last two seasons.

Besides seeing Larry smilingly handing a commemorative football to some big-buck-donor-types on the field during time outs, where the hell has he been?  Have seen no or little of him at any of the other sports games/matches....B.B., soccer men or women....maybe he’s “speed dialing”!  :D

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

He inherited a 1-11 team 7 years ago. That's a lifetime ago in sports. He's now the 2nd longest tenured coach in the MAC. That shouldn't be used as an excuse any longer for the cycle of mediocrity we find ourselves in. We should be in a position to compete for MAC Championships by now. No getting smoked by Toledo last year on national TV doesn't in my mind count as competing.

I have been critical of Bowden on this forum, but I am very appreciative that he brought us out of that cycle of being bottom feeders. I just have no faith he can lead us to being top contenders in the MAC, which is what I aspire the program to be. This program just reeks of stagnation. 

Hey you're entitled to your own opinion. But I think there's a little overreacting to one loss. If we go into a tailspin I may agree with you. Otherwise, we just had our best recruiting class yet, beat NW, went to our 2nd MACC ever, and are on track for 3 bowl games in 4 years. I think he's doing okay at the moment.

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Hey you're entitled to your own opinion. But I think there's a little overreacting to one loss. If we go into a tailspin I may agree with you. Otherwise, we just had our best recruiting class yet, beat NW, went to our 2nd MACC ever, and are on track for 3 bowl games in 4 years. I think he's doing okay at the moment.

Sure, I agree this loss appears to have changed some peoples opinions. It feels odd being on the side of popular opinion in regards to this issue. 

Did anyone see Miami's board before last week? Martin was O-U-T.

I'm guessing there were similar rumblings in Buffalo after Army outscored them 41-6 after Buffalo's opening TD a couple weeks ago.

We'll likely go as Kato goes this year. Is the the next Butchie, or Carlton Jackson? 

How do you change the mediocre or bottom feeder losing culture? I know some of the football players parents,and had a talk about the program, the first thing that was mentioned was the reject players form Florida,how they’re given scholarship instead of the players from  around here just because,and how the staff looks at players around here meaning NE Ohio.Ted Ginn has a football factory and yet no one from his school, is on the team not one! 

Just last week Tim Brando was saying Terry Bowden should get a P5 school job. There was discussion here about him possibly leaving, but he might be too old to go. Now we want him fired one game later. Event the best coached teams have letdown games. Alabama had one when they lost to ”the" osu a few years back in the cfb championship. osu had one last year against Iowa. Those are just a couple examples. Let's just see what happens next week. Weren't we supposed to get blown out by Ohio U last year?

Per Crains… Terry Bowden is paid less than 120 other coaches.  The only coaches whose pay is lower are Coastal Carolina's Joe Moglia ($400,000) and Louisiana-Monroe's Matt Viator ($390,000).  Terry Bowden, No. 12 in the MAC, No. 121 overall: $412,500 compensation; $225,000 max bonus; $50,000 bonus received in 2017-18; $688,500 buyout.  

As an aside, the MAC's 12 coaches have a combined 2018 compensation of $6,519,534 — $1,080,466 lower than the pay Urban Meyer was due prior to his suspension.

• Like 1

I love Bowden.  I've grown restless this season because of the cancelled game, early bye and egg laying to Miami.  I think we're all afraid, based on the rack record, that the Zips will disappoint us this year (as evidenced by the Miami debacle).  But by all accounts, we shouldn't have been in the MACC last year and were.  Perhaps we should give them a chance to work this out...and by "we" I am directing a lot of this criticism as myself.

Akron is not in any financial situation to be firing coaches.  Any changes that will be made to the coaching staff I'd envision would be similar to Kent's recent coaching change.

Bowden has brought stability to this program.  We're still technically having a good season, and a win this weekend would certainly go a long way to making us look past Miami.  Hopefully I will not be eating those words as well...:lol:

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Balsy said:

Bowden has brought stability to this program.  We're still technically having a good season

We're 2-2 and 0-1 against the MAC. I think we have different definitions of good. Off to another mediocre season, I would agree.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Thanks 1