Will Bowden get a contract extension?

Hilltopper

I believe in Bowden and have given him a pass because he has changed the expectations for Zips football.  The glaring problem has been offensive execution and for that I have blamed Milwee.  At this point the focus shifts to Bowden as he has not made an improvement in that area.  Something has to change on offense and if not, something bigger has to change.  Unfortunately, that means Bowden. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zvillezip said:

I believe in Bowden and have given him a pass because he has changed the expectations for Zips football.  The glaring problem has been offensive execution and for that I have blamed Milwee.  At this point the focus shifts to Bowden as he has not made an improvement in that area.  Something has to change on offense and if not, something bigger has to change.  Unfortunately, that means Bowden. 

It's too late!  Milwee should have gone years ago!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

When die-hard fans like me don't want to watch and are at the point of not caring, I think there's a big problem.  Effing depressing.

If I wanted to spend money to watch a group of guys struggle to score for 3 1/2 hours, I'd take my friends out to the bar. I won't be attending anymore football games until we get a new coach.

• Sad 1

I was listening to the Cleveland Browns radio show on 92.3 earlier in the week and the player interview was T.J. Carrie.  Zip alum Ken Carmen asked Ohio U alum Carrie what stadium he liked the most in his travels in college and he lauded Akron as having some of the nicest facilities of any school he had visited while playing for OU.  Rather than enjoy the moment, it just made me mad.

UA has spent tons to get these model football facilities.  The stadium is fantastic, the fieldhouse great, the dorms outstanding and the workout facilities top notch.  We have the 15th highest paid coach in the State of Ohio.  Northeast Ohio is a hotbed of talent located in a state that produces the 5th largest pool of college football talent in the country.

Despite all of these elements for success, we hope every year that our dear Zips will get to .500 to be bowl eligible while we watch them dwell in the mediocrity in the middle or bottom of the MAC.  We get the occasional tease with something like the Northwestern win, but in the end we watch the endless train of directional schools eat our proverbial lunch.

The school has to make a choice.  If you’re going to commit to playing FBS football, commit to doing it well, not settling for mediocrity.  If not, go play in some obscure conference and stop this damn charade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I was listening to the Cleveland Browns radio show on 92.3 earlier in the week and the player interview was T.J. Carrie.  Zip alum Ken Carmen asked Ohio U alum Carrie what stadium he liked the most in his travels in college and he lauded Akron as having some of the nicest facilities of any school he had visited while playing for OU.  Rather than enjoy the moment, it just made me mad.

UA has spent tons to get these model football facilities.  The stadium is fantastic, the fieldhouse great, the dorms outstanding and the workout facilities top notch.  We have the 15th highest paid coach in the State of Ohio.  Northeast Ohio is a hotbed of talent located in a state that produces the 5th largest pool of college football talent in the country.

Despite all of these elements for success, we hope every year that our dear Zips will get to .500 to be bowl eligible while we watch them dwell in the mediocrity in the middle or bottom of the MAC.  We get the occasional tease with something like the Northwestern win, but in the end we watch the endless train of directional schools eat our proverbial lunch.

The school has to make a choice.  If you’re going to commit to playing FBS football, commit to doing it well, not settling for mediocrity.  If not, go play in some obscure conference and stop this damn charade.

Thanks, Clark.  We should be the absolute terror of the MAC and run through the conference every year like a buzz saw.  It shouldn't be close. 

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm just SICK AND DAMN TIRED.

I realize that comparing sports is a fool's errand but with Groce I get the sense that he knows Buffalo is a huge force and he's preparing a team to step up and compete with them.  Even last year when decimated by injuries he found a way for his team to compete.  Bowden doesn't give a f#@*.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, footballzip said:

Bowl game he stays. Not sure what AD is thinking if not. Next year would be a make or break year for Bowden. KN seemed to be starting to make strides. Can't afford injuries in MAC.

Making a bowl game looks to be a long shot with the beating Ohio gave Buffalo last night

I truly have mixed feelings on this topic, we were completely irrelevant before Bowden, our expectations have risen because we are competitive now.  A lot of our losses are close & it seems because we are predictable & underachieving on offense.  

We also seem to play to be in a game in the .4th quarter & try to win by not making mistakes instead of creating a game plan driven towards the weaknesses of our opponent and playing to win instead of not to lose

In sports if you go after it & get a lead you usually take your opponent out of their game plan, which usually creates good things for your team

I wonder if we had a good OC & Bowden loosen the noose on his coaches (meaning let your special teams play instead of fair catching kicks & letting the offense be aggressive if we could take the next step?

I like we are competing, recruiting is getting better, his southern connection with what is in NEO should be able to succeed.  So, the question is, what does the AD do?

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...