Game 13—@Western Michigan

clarkwgriswold

The Zips travel to Kalamazoo Tuesday night to face WMU.   The Broncos were voted the top team in the MAC-West in the combined media/coaches preseason poll.  They are 7-5 and have an 11 point win over CSU and a 21 point win over App St., common opponents that the Zips beat by 10 and 5 respectively.  The Broncos are led MAC player of the year candidate by 6-3 senior guard Thomas Wilder at 18.9 ppg and 6-5 junior guard Josh Davis at 7.8 rpg. 

We finally get to start seeing where our Zips line up in the MAC.

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

How do you get only 7 total rebounds in an entire half?

Very little effort to box out or to rebound.  I saw it against Concord.  Earlier in the season I saw 3-4 guys looking for the offensive rebound.  Kostelac needs to go up strong with the ball.  He hesitates.  We do not need him to shoot 10 footers that clank.   

6 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Yeah.  Looking forward to next year.  Big men are just awful.  

I haven't posted my thoughts since before the Hawaii trip. The fact that we have to ALWAYS play small is really hurting us. It's hurting us on the boards, rim protection and breaking down zone defenses. I think Groce said recently that E-man is actually 6-6, but plays 6-8. Well that's fine until you go up against legit talent with size. I wish Kostelac could have red-shirted, but unfortunately we needed what little he has to offer us this year. Usually I only know Kostelac is on the court when he fouls and is heading back to the bench. I agree with NWAkron, I look forward to to seeing what Kostelac and Riak can bring with a full year in the system and training regiment. Having the option to slip E-man and Sales to the 4 spot will be huge for us.