What happened to our points in the paint?

1981 grad

With the new coach and more athletic and stronger players I thought we would be more aggressive scoring in the paint.  In a couple of the early games I would see Ivey penetrating and dishing.  I saw a real effort to get offensive rebounds and then score inside.  I saw some nice moves inside by Sayles, Poke and Kostalec and some nice bounce pass give and goes.  Against Concord, I expected us to use our athleticism to score inside.  Instead, we once again relied on the 3 ball.

In the tournament, we were outscored in the paint by Davidson, 32-18, by Princeton, 28-16, by USC 24-14.  Once again we relied on the 3 ball and averaged 31 3 ball shot attempts per game.  All loses.  Early in the season, Utomi was hot from the 3 line.  Now it is Duvivier.  But going into MAC play, we need some consistent inside scoring.  I just don't see this team winning in the MAC unless we get more points in the paing.  I am hoping that Groce gets these guys to understand that they need to penetrate, score and hit the boards.  Otherwise, this is going to be a long MAC season.