2018 Zips Mens Soccer

It is ridiculously premature to suggest a lineup, with the first official practice starting on Wednesday.  

Embick sort of dared me to make a lineup, so I did.

And I will bet that our base system will be 4-2-3-1.

As if Embick is ever going to read this board.  Ha!

Let us see how accurate I am.

To answer your question:  Yes.  We should be concerned with so much youth starting in the Defense.

But for this squad to go very far, freshmen will need to be major players.

Reference 2009.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's OK to be concerned about three freshmen, if they do start. Yet this team has tremendous talent and may be super explosive. We may be a team that outscores our opponents while we learn to shut them down and prepare for the playoffs. My congratulations on your lineup. I'll ask Jared if he cares to comment, which he won't, of course.

• Like 2

I guess I’m not necessarily as concerned as you about so much youth starting on defense. It depends upon how good that youth is. The USMNT is criticized for not playing its youth soon enough. Often players in other parts of the world are further ahead at younger ages.  As was stated, it’s ridiculously early to be selecting a lineup and judging our talent. First official practice is Wednesday, and we have yet to see 11 of our players together against an opponent, even themselves. 

Good reference to 2009. Significant number of freshman contributed.

Good discussion.  Looking forward to the exhibitions and updated discussions. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

it is nice to see some discussion on the board

The 2009 team had many talented freshman and went 23-0-0

Last year's final four team had Joao and Daniel Strachan as the 2 starting center backs

Daniel Strachan is going to be excellent for the zips again this year...whether he is a center DB...or if he is a holding midfielder (as shown in the lineup bravely submitted by buflobo). 

Two players...that  have not been mentioned yet,...redshirt freshman Braden Petno and Colin Biros, will both be able to contribute up front  this year .

The addition of 2 exciting , skilled seniors (Marco and Abdi) adds so much to this year's team.      If this team has 5 freshman starting by NCAA tourney time, I think that this team will go very deep in the tourney as that will mean that the recruits are as good as their press clippings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slowroll said:

It will be interesting to see that back line evolve! I'm especially interested to see who ends up at right & left back - those players are always so damn fun to watch in the Akron system.

I believe Spanish Freshman Pol Hernandez to be the favorite at Left Back.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

One of the reasons is the writer is Andy Harris, who does some PA announcing and runs the soccer scoreboard once in awhile for Zips..inside the ropes never hurts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

One of the reasons is the writer is Andy Harris, who does some PA announcing and runs the soccer scoreboard once in awhile for Zips..inside the ropes never hurts...

appreciate the "inside scoop"

Hopefully, the Beacon will do a nice writeup before the home opener on the 24th.  I had e-mailed 2 of their writers...the day before practice started...to try to get a writeup at that point.....but I was unsuccessful in getting coverage from the Beacon

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....Living in Tennessee...and only seeing a few matches a year...I would fail miserably at this test....

Mr. Micaletto is easily identifiable....

the test...please identify as many Zips in the photo as you can....   Thank you said the man from Tennessee

• Like 1

Without looking at the roster and starting with those players along the back rail...

Daniel Oliveira, Ahmed Allen, Chris Lue Young, Nick Sabilis (I think, but hard to see)

Ben Lundt, Marcel Zajac, Marco Micaletto, Peter Zecca, Joe Korb, Sammy Tojaga, Abdi Mohammed, Braden Petno, Kotaro Umeda, Morgan Hackworth, Faisal Ghaffur, Skye Harter, Diogo Pacheco (I think after enlarging photo), Barth-Luther Muafo (ZipsMSoc alum)

Ricky Cabellas, (I can't tell who is standing facing Skye)

Ezana Kahsay

Edited ... I think Diogo Pacheco is behind Skye Harter & Faisal Ghaffur.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Carlo Ritaccio (#13), Pol Hernandez (#32), Colin Biros (#60), and Marco Milanese (#68) who have been named to Top Drawer Soccer's Mid-Season Top 100 Freshman List.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-freshmen-top-100/men

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The other thing that amazes me about Akron soccer and their dominance, this was the first year ever since joining the MAC in 1993 that the Zips had not finished in either first or second place in the conference regular season and yet they still made the NCAA tournament.

And the way the record for the most MAC tournament titles is now held by one Jared Embick (Akron coaches hold the top three spots with Porter and Lolla following Embick). But perhaps even more incredibly Jared Embick has never been named MAC coach of the year. 

MAC Men's Soccer Record Book

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

The other thing that amazes me about Akron soccer and their dominance, this was the first year ever since joining the MAC in 1993 that the Zips had not finished in either first or second place in the conference regular season and yet they still made the NCAA tournament.

And the way the record for the most MAC tournament titles is now held by one Jared Embick (Akron coaches hold the top three spots with Porter and Lolla following Embick). But perhaps even more incredibly Jared Embick has never been named MAC coach of the year. 

MAC Men's Soccer Record Book

That is incredible.  Most of the MAC sports, especially the “lesser” sports, I.e. track, swimming, Xc, baseball, the coach of the champions are an “automatic” choice...rarely another coach....Wow, nice catch...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With 2018 coming to a close, a little reflection:

Mid-season TDS Top 100 Freshman (4): Carlo Ritaccio (#13), Pol Hernandez (#32), Colin Biros (#60), and Marco Milanese (#68).

PostSeason TDS Top 100 Freshman (5): Carlo Ritaccio (#1), Colin Biros (#15), Sam Tojaga (#47),  Marco Milanese (#73), and Pol Hernandez (#94).

Mid-season TDS Top 100 (2): David Egbo (#75), Abdi Mohamed (#79)

Post Season TDS Top 100 (3): Abdi Mohamed (#26), David Egbo (#32), and Marcel Zajac (#87)

MAC Tourney MVP: Marcel Zajac

MAC Tourney All-Tournament Team: Marcel Zajac, Abdi Mohammed, Ezana Kahsay, Carlo Ritaccio

Defensive Most Outstanding Player of the College Cup: Ben Lundt

College Cup All-Tournament Squad: Marcel Zajac, Abdi Mohamed, Ben Lundt

MAC Regular Season (#4): 1-2-1

MAC Tourney Champions (#1): 3-0 (2-1 SIUE [H], 3-1 WVU [A], 3-0 WMU [N])

Regular Season: 7-6-2; 1-2-1

MAC Tourney: 3-0 (1 home)

NCAA Tourney: 5-1 (1 home, 3 road, 2 neutral)

Overall: 15-7-2

From 1-3-1 to National Runners Up at 15-7-2

Many more accolades and stories I didn't include. WOW, what a season!!! Thanks Zips Men's Soccer. Looking forward to 2019!

https://gozips.com/news/2018/12/10/mens-soccer-zips-come-up-short-of-title-aspirations-as-maryland-edges-akron-1-0.aspx?path=msoc

The 2018 University of Akron men's soccer team provided an amazing story of perseverance and determination that will long be remembered not for a 1-0 setback to Maryland in the title match of the College Cup on Sunday, Dec. 9, but for a group of 30 student-athletes that came together as one and lifted each other to the pinnacle of their sport while representing their team and school with dignity and class.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...