Sign in to follow this  
Zip_ME87

2018 Zips Mens Soccer

It is ridiculously premature to suggest a lineup, with the first official practice starting on Wednesday.  

Embick sort of dared me to make a lineup, so I did.

And I will bet that our base system will be 4-2-3-1.

As if Embick is ever going to read this board.  Ha!

Let us see how accurate I am.

To answer your question:  Yes.  We should be concerned with so much youth starting in the Defense.

But for this squad to go very far, freshmen will need to be major players.

Reference 2009.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's OK to be concerned about three freshmen, if they do start. Yet this team has tremendous talent and may be super explosive. We may be a team that outscores our opponents while we learn to shut them down and prepare for the playoffs. My congratulations on your lineup. I'll ask Jared if he cares to comment, which he won't, of course.

• Like 2

I guess I’m not necessarily as concerned as you about so much youth starting on defense. It depends upon how good that youth is. The USMNT is criticized for not playing its youth soon enough. Often players in other parts of the world are further ahead at younger ages.  As was stated, it’s ridiculously early to be selecting a lineup and judging our talent. First official practice is Wednesday, and we have yet to see 11 of our players together against an opponent, even themselves. 

Good reference to 2009. Significant number of freshman contributed.

Good discussion.  Looking forward to the exhibitions and updated discussions. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

it is nice to see some discussion on the board

The 2009 team had many talented freshman and went 23-0-0

Last year's final four team had Joao and Daniel Strachan as the 2 starting center backs

Daniel Strachan is going to be excellent for the zips again this year...whether he is a center DB...or if he is a holding midfielder (as shown in the lineup bravely submitted by buflobo). 

Two players...that  have not been mentioned yet,...redshirt freshman Braden Petno and Colin Biros, will both be able to contribute up front  this year .

The addition of 2 exciting , skilled seniors (Marco and Abdi) adds so much to this year's team.      If this team has 5 freshman starting by NCAA tourney time, I think that this team will go very deep in the tourney as that will mean that the recruits are as good as their press clippings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see that back line evolve! I'm especially interested to see who ends up at right & left back - those players are always so damn fun to watch in the Akron system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slowroll said:

It will be interesting to see that back line evolve! I'm especially interested to see who ends up at right & left back - those players are always so damn fun to watch in the Akron system.

I believe Spanish Freshman Pol Hernandez to be the favorite at Left Back.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Thanks 1

It is great to see former zips supporting the team

• Like 1