Game 16—Bowling Green

Let'sGoZips94

Due to our recent losing streak and the fact that @clarkwgriswold has started the game threads for the first 3 MAC games, I figured I'd start the thread for Bowling Green to shake things up. 

BGSU is 11-5 with a 2-1 record in the MAC. They also lost to Abilene Christian.

We need a strong response in this game due to our losing streak and the embarrassment that was the Buffalo game.

Thus concludes my pre-game analysis. Carry on. :wave:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Due to our recent losing streak and the fact that @clarkwgriswold has started the game threads for the first 3 MAC games, I figured I'd start the thread for Bowling Green to shake things up. 

BGSU is 11-5 with a 2-1 record in the MAC. They also lost to Abilene Christian.

We need a strong response in this game due to our losing streak and the embarrassment that was the Buffalo game.

Thus concludes my pre-game analysis. Carry on. :wave:

Have at it lilroodude!

• Like 1

Depending on the weather predicted for Saturday, there could be an influx of some WCAL (and I don't mean Keener or myself) fans as BG starts true freshman Derek Koch from Northwestern in the post.  I never really got to watch the kid but am surprised he is starting his freshman year.  

This is a big game for the mental psyche of this team.  A win and I think we have a punchers chance at 6 or 8 MAC wins this years.  A loss, and I think it will be a very rough year that some had predicted.  I think we come out and get the W!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

Depending on the weather predicted for Saturday, there could be an influx of some WCAL (and I don't mean Keener or myself) fans as BG starts true freshman Derek Koch from Northwestern in the post.  I never really got to watch the kid but am surprised he is starting his freshman year.  

This is a big game for the mental psyche of this team.  A win and I think we have a punchers chance at 6 or 8 MAC wins this years.  A loss, and I think it will be a very rough year that some had predicted.  I think we come out and get the W!

Confession, you wouldn't know it because of my worldly and sophisticated nature :wave: but I'm also a graduate of Northwestern.  My dad rode the bench when they one the single "A" state championship in 1959, and I had an uncle who played for Roy Bates on  the 1965 state championship team.  However, it didn't pass to the next generation as I was cut from the no-cut 7th grade team and never returned.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Confession, you wouldn't know it because of my worldly and sophisticated nature :wave: but I'm also a graduate of Northwestern.  My dad rode the bench when they one the single "A" state championship in 1959, and I had an uncle who played for Roy Bates on  the 1965 state championship team.  However, it didn't pass to the next generation as I was cut from the no-cut 7th grade team and never returned.

If they'd have just seen how you can take a t-shirt from a t-shirt cannon, they'd have kept you!

• Haha 2

BG is 11-5 but played a bad OOC schedule.  In MAC play, they lost to Miami but beat EMU and NIU.  They have 5 guys scoring 10 ppg or more, with red shirt freshman guard Justing Turner leading the way at 16.1 ppg.  6-10 Junior Demageo Wiggins leads rebounding at 8.9 ppg.

I could see some changes in the rotation for the Zips Saturday, including Cotton in the starting lineup.  The kid could go from a very recent DNP in street clothes to the starting lineup.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Well, with the E-Man loss, I wonder of we start seeing anything different from the Zips in this one.  With only two big men, neither of which is ready for prime time, I wonder what Groce and his staff have in mind.  I have to think we're going to see more zone and pushing the ball.

I'm not sure the defensive scheme changes too much, because we've played a good mix of man and zone thus far, and teams have been able to penetrate our zones pretty well. With that being said, more zone would technically keep the ball out of the paint, assuming we play our zone correctly. 

I definitely think we push the ball more, but with Kostelac and Sayles, I think there needs to be more driving and dishing when the defense collapses on the player with the ball. We need to make the game easier for those two, at least until they get more experience and get more comfortable at this level. We also need to get back to the off-the-ball movement we had towards the beginning of the season. Back cuts were a huge part of our success. 

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Well, with the E-Man loss, I wonder of we start seeing anything different from the Zips in this one.  With only two big men, neither of which is ready for prime time, I wonder what Groce and his staff have in mind.  I have to think we're going to see more zone and pushing the ball.

Get Kostelac and Sayles a ton of minutes. It will pay off next season.

The blessing in Gordon Hayward's (Boston Celtics) broken leg is the expedited development of Jayson Tatum. With extended PT I could see Sayles development taking a huge leap forward over the next few weeks.

The regular season is a wash. From here on out, give the young guys a ton of minutes and see what they're made of.

In the MAC Tourney, field your best possible line up and see what happens...you never know.

• Like 3

I could also see some small ball with Utomi at center.  We did it at Toledo and it was effective.  Having Utomi at center opens up the lane since they have to respect his 3 point shooting.  We can also move the ball up the court faster.  On defense we can play zone.  Sayles and Klac have to be more offensive minded and move to the basket.  They need to post up, move well on a give and go and rebound, rebound and rebound.  Sometimes a sickness or  injury can bring a team together.  Go Zips!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I could also see some small ball with Utomi at center.  We did it at Toledo and it was effective.  Having Utomi at center opens up the lane since they have to respect his 3 point shooting.  We can also move the ball up the court faster.  On defense we can play zone.  Sayles and Klac have to be more offensive minded and move to the basket.  They need to post up, move well on a give and go and rebound, rebound and rebound.  Sometimes a sickness or  injury can bring a team together.  Go Zips!

Excellent post. :D

• Like 1

I am going out on a limb and predicting a win for today as long as the big three, Utomi, Jimond, and Duvivier play like the big 3.  We need these 3 to score collectively at least 50 points.  Utomi is the key and has to play like early in the season.  Jimond needs to limit his turnovers.  Duvivier needs to hit the 3 ball and drive to the basket.  If we get production from any of the frosh it will be a bonus.  (Can Cotton put together 2 good games in a row)  I think that based on the Buffalo game that Bowling Green will pressure the ball.  How we handle the pressure early will determine whether this team will compete.  Looking forward to this game.  Go Zips! 

• Like 1