E-man

Hilltopper

On 1/11/2018 at 8:02 PM, UAZip0510 said:

He had open heart surgery.  While it's tough to lose him, there was initial fear that this was something potentially even more serious than it was.  I'll leave the rest of details for E/the team to share if they choose, out of respect to both.

Is he staying in Akron and/or trying to take any classes this semester? Any chance for extended eligibility due to the medical hardship?

21 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Is he staying in Akron and/or trying to take any classes this semester? Any chance for extended eligibility due to the medical hardship?

From what I gather, he's expected to still be around.  He'll apply for an extension but it's unlikely given that he played half of the season. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

After searching I notice that there has not been ANY update since January on this board about Emmanuel's health condition.

However, about a month or six weeks ago, I noticed a video from the university which featured an interview with E-Man.  I think I originally found it on Twitter -- but I don't think it was produced by the MBB staff.  I'll continue trying to find it, but the intro to the short (maybe 2 minute) clip detailed the medical situation with Emmanuel, and noted that it was not a congenital or chronic heart problem, but rather a clot caused by a piece of tissue that detached form the area around his heart valve (best as I can remember).  It described how it became apparent when E-Man partially lost his vision during the game prior to the surgery.  This loss of vision somehow was the tip-off to doctors about the nature of his problem, and they knew how to treat it medically.  So, the apparent good news is that the doctors don't expect a likelihood of any continuing problems associated with this specific occurrence, and I guess it means he's able to continue playing and conditioning as before January's surgery, and it shouldn't effect his long-term health 

I hope I'm properly restating what I listened to on the video -- given my non-medical background.  I'm surprised that no one has ever linked it on here!  Did anyone else see this??

• Like 3