Rec Center Smith

Ham

Kotelac of rest?  Rec Center Smith to the rescue!  If I were Groce, I would take some staff and players to the rec center before our next home game and mix it up a little bit.  What a golden opportunity to create the same kind of support that Porter had with soccer.  It was one rebound, but it could be the start of a turn around for us.

• Like 1

Anyone have the back story on how he came to Akron?  Looks like his hometown is in Nebraska and played Juco there.  Why did he transfer up here?  Did he have some extended family?  Did his intended major change and that is why he transfered?

Also, can we get his picture and bio updated on Go Zips?  I know he wasn't around for the formal team pictures but if they don't have a camera laying around they can reach out to Dr. Z and I am sure he would hook them up with a free picture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Could it be possible that he is only a Junior in school, but has indicated that this is the last (only) year he wants to play basketball?  Therefore, they want to recognize him as finishing his tenure with the team?

That's probably it.  I am sure it's tough as he doesn't have Tuition, room & board, etc. paid for like the other players but has the same practice/game schedule that limit opportunities to work and make $$$.

Could it also be possible that they discussed next year's situation with him?  Several new guys on the roster next year on scholarship, and they told him that opportunities to see the floor may not be there anymore?

If that's the case, and we anticipate upgrades that would be good enough to phase him out, that would actually be a good sign.  

Every Zips fan in the JAR should get on their feet for this kid Friday night!  He's worked his arse off for the Zips and has made a difficult injury situation a little more tolerable.  Seems like just yesterday that he came into the Marshall game and I looked at my wife and said "who in the hell is that?" 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Could it also be possible that they discussed next year's situation with him?  Several new guys on the roster next year on scholarship, and they told him that opportunities to see the floor may not be there anymore?

If that's the case, and we anticipate upgrades that would be good enough to phase him out, that would actually be a good sign.  

Eh there's always room for a walk-on or two at the end of the bench. Doubt it