Game 18—Northern Illinois

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Just received a call from UA informing me the game time is 4:30 pm. This is different than the schedule I printed from GoZips.com last month, which lists it as a 2 pm start. 

I had football on my mind and was thinking they were filling an ESPN3 timeslot. Oh wait...never mind that can't happen. ziespn3.JPG

1 hour ago, Joe Akron said:

and it's President Wilson Bobblehead game too, but if you aren't there at 1 PM, when doors open for the Lady Zips it's going to be tough to get one.

Only 500 vouchers being handed out.  :unsure:

I liked when they guaranteed season ticket holders one without having to arrive super early.

24 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I liked when they guaranteed season ticket holders one without having to arrive super early.

I like when they have enough for everyone to get one and then whatever is left over they pass out during the last couple of games of the season. I always felt that was a classy way of doing it. When the promotion is the first 500 and I am the 501st it kind of ruins the goodwill they are trying to build. Especially with kids promotions and your aggravating possible future customers/students.

There is a Parents & Family event scheduled for Saturday from 4:00-6:00  at the Euro-Gyro.   We scheduled this event for post game. I will relay this to the committee chairperson. These time changes are B.S. 

I don’t understand why they seem to arbitrarily change these game times. My wife is a member of the Parent & Family committee.  They put in a lot of effort to help promote the University and bring parents and families on to Campus for various events. Many of the parents have to travel some distance and make plans to attend an event.  We have reserved the upstairs at Euro-gyro for a postgame party. We have sent out emails for confirmation, and asked people to respond so we can get a head count.  This allows us to pre-order food accordingly.  

I am frustrated as hell!!!!!

Edited by tboned
  • Sad 2

The 9-9 Huskies of Northern Illinois come into the JAR Saturday to face the Zips as part 2 of a doubleheader with the women’s team, with tip-off scheduled for 4:30.  The Huskies are 2-3 in MAC play having beaten PCCC and EMU at home and having lost to Buffalo, BG and OU on the road.  The Huskies are led by 6 foot sophomore guard Eugene German at 19.7 ppg and 6-7 junior wing Levi Bradley at 6/1 rpg.  They average 73.8 points per game and give up 73.5.

It is also President Wilson bobblehead night.  You have to show up before the women’s game for your voucher and present it at half of the men’s game. 

Let's hope to follow up last Saturday's exciting win with another home victory.

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

NIU started out strong at SUNY Canada but were then blown out.  I think we are all jockeying for those first round home games at this point.   And my hope is that someone like Ball State will trip up Canada in Cleveland.   But I digress.

The MAC is a crapshoot this year, aside from Canada. 

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm afraid Canada is the class of the MAC this season.  Decent size, fast and athletic, deep with many interchangeable parts.  I could see them having an off shooting night, but even then a team would have to play awfully well to knock them off.

I wonder if their blog is having the dreaded "At-L*¢£" discussion.   I don't recall any seniors on their team this year

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Only 2 on the whole roster and Clark (nice name!) is the only one that contributes.

Meanwhile in Athens, the Kittens are going through some tough stuff right now.   I believe their downfall is tied to Jim Christian but more recently to when Jerron Simmons dribbled out the final seconds against Kent in the semis last year and then bolted for Michigan.  But I digress.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, tboned said:

There is a Parents & Family event scheduled for Saturday from 4:00-6:00  at the Euro-Gyro.   We scheduled this event for post game. I will relay this to the committee chairperson. These time changes are B.S. 

I don’t understand why they seem to arbitrarily change these game times. My wife is a member of the Parent & Family committee.  They put in a lot of effort to help promote the University and bring parents and families on to Campus for various events. Many of the parents have to travel some distance and make plans to attend an event.  We have reserved the upstairs at Euro-gyro for a postgame party. We have sent out emails for confirmation, and asked people to respond so we can get a head count.  This allows us to pre-order food accordingly.  

I am frustrated as hell!!!!!

On 1/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The MAC is a crapshoot this year, aside from Canada. 

Okay...I understand that the Buffalo Bulls are one of our 3 main rivals so it is our duty to mock them at every opportunity. And since they are way up there on the border it's fitting to call them "Canada". I am just curious if there is more to it, like is their coach or players Canadian too? Sorry, but if I am ever going to earn that secret hand-shake I will need to know these things.  :)

Edited by Illini Zip

37 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Okay...I understand that the Buffalo Bulls are one of our 3 main rivals so it is our duty to mock them at every opportunity. And since they are way up there on the border it's fitting to call them "Canada". I am just curious if there is more to it, like is their coach or players Canadian too? Sorry, but if I am ever going to earn that secret hand-shake I will need to know these things.  :)

Buffalo started it. One year, the Rowdies traveled to Buffalo and the Buffalo students had started an "Akron's in Ohio" chant. Somebody yelled back "Yeah, well Buffalo's in Canada!" and it stuck.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Buffalo started it. One year, the Rowdies traveled to Buffalo and the Buffalo students had started an "Akron's in Ohio" chant. Somebody yelled back "Yeah, well Buffalo's in Canada!" and it stuck.

Not to brag, but that was me.  You're all welcome. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1