Potential new transfer rules

I read a story a while back from cleveland.com regarding grad transfers and how it can kill programs and actually hurt coaching staff job security. Gary Waters had some good quotes. This will exacerbate that problem. There's a reason most mid major coaches have spoken out about these rules. If this happens, it will be nothing but bad for G5 and below schools.

Sure, some staffs will be able to foster relationships that keep kids around (I believe Kwan was being recruited as a grad xfer, or that was inferred) and he chose to stay at UA. Those will be the exception, rather than the rule.

Edited by RowdyZip

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Why would anyone stay at OU if given the chance out?

I don't want to speak for Kreed, but he might be pointing out that Jaaron is an example of why players should stay at their mid-major schools if they're having success. He's riding the bench at Michigan and had much more exposure at OU.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't want to speak for Kreed, but he might be pointing out that Jaaron is an example of why players should stay at their mid-major schools if they're having success. He's riding the bench at Michigan. 

I was pointing out a big time MAC player who left for a P5 program pretty much costing OU their season this year. 

IDK if it was the added pressure, a loss of confidence, or what, but Simmons isn't the same player. He was getting minutes and was in the rotation at UM at the start of the season, but he stunk up the joint leading himself for find a place on the bench.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know if that's entirely true. Aside from Steph Curry, who was the last standout from a mid-major to single-handily lead his team to an upset in the NCAA tournament while producing All-American statistics throughout that season or their career? Most upsets/Cinderellas are team efforts either where the coach puts together an extraordinary game plan/motivational speech or a few players play out of their minds, well above their season's standards. 

Another possibility is that more parity is created. The goal for many of these players is to get to the NBA or professional basketball in general, right? You get there by standing out, and as or if the P5 level teams start to get crowded, players might want to distance themselves from the crowd and create a name for themselves at the mid-major level. 

I hope I'm wrong Let'sGoZips94. I like the parity myself, it makes for a better March Madness experience. You never really know for sure how rule changes will play out exactly. Some players might go the Mid-Major route coming out of high school for exposure and playing time, but most will want to eventually test their skills on the biggest stage possible.

Also consider that without a penalty in place a player is more likely to take a modest advancement from a low Mid-Major to high Mid-Major. And then, maybe from high Mid-Major to a P5 university as a grad-transfer. I watched the Eastern Michigan game with very few fans in the stands. I can't imagine Mid-Majors are taking this lightly as I said before. And as NWAkron points out, this has the potential of turning the Mid-Majors into a farm system. I blame the NBA for all of this by the way. They come calling earlier and earlier, and often way too early. Now it looks like the P5 conferences are wielding their influence inside the NCAA so they can do to the Mid-Majors what the NBA is doing to them. Not good.

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know if that's entirely true. Aside from Steph Curry, who was the last standout from a mid-major to single-handily lead his team to an upset in the NCAA tournament while producing All-American statistics throughout that season or their career? Most upsets/Cinderellas are team efforts either where the coach puts together an extraordinary game plan/motivational speech or a few players play out of their minds, well above their season's standards. 

Another possibility is that more parity is created. The goal for many of these players is to get to the NBA or professional basketball in general, right? You get there by standing out, and as or if the P5 level teams start to get crowded, players might want to distance themselves from the crowd and create a name for themselves at the mid-major level. 

I agree most require at least a duo. CJ McCollum is another example of a mid-major player who put his team on his back to carry his team to an upset. He likely would have been in the running for some accolades the following season, but had a season ending injury. Man how I wish he didn't get away.

18 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I imagine that the amount of poaching likely to take place with this rule change will lead to Mid-Majors eventually having to file a class-action lawsuit against the NCAA. Maybe all Mid-Majors would leave and form their own association which would kill the greatness of March Madness, but protect the investment these universities put into the development of student athletes. Just thinking out loud.

Mid majors leaving the NCAA?.... the p5 should leave .... they are the $ —-why they stay and share any $ with the rest of the universities is beyond me. What’s the worst that could happen to schools like Akron? Attendance drops to 0 and they lose 2300 paying fans and the lucrative MAC tv rights. Mid majors are along for the ride— the non p5 schools should exit their pursuit (expenditures) of  big time sports —imo... short of deemphasizing athletics, they will always need to take what comes down the pike... Imo i don’t think this rule will have a significant impact either way

Edited by morris buttermaker

23 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

Mid majors leaving the NCAA?.... the p5 should leave .... they are the $ —-why they stay and share any $ with the rest of the universities is beyond me. What’s the worst that could happen to schools like Akron? Attendance drops to 0 and they lose 2300 paying fans and the lucrative MAC tv rights.

I agree fully with the reality you spell out here, but it's only going to go from bad to worse with this potential rule change. So what are the options for the Akrons of the basketball world? I am not quite sure myself, but I do believe the NCAA is more the problem than the solution. Consider that the Loyola University Ramblers of Chicago have a 1962-63 NCAA Championship banner hanging from their rafters. I know because I saw it during my niece's graduation. Even back then, they were not a big state school, from a big conference with a huge alumni base or benefiting from a lucrative TV deal. They just chose to play their black players more than others. I personally would like to see more Loyola stories in the future and this proposed rule change is only going to make the climb harder, if not impossible.

Why not Akron?

Edited by Illini Zip

For whatever it is worth, I spoke to an NCAA insider who said that this rule change is happening one way or the other. And by that, he meant that if the change doesn't happen by an NCAA vote, it will happen by court orders. According to the same source, most NCAA members are not big fans of the change but can no longer handle the pressure from the lawyers.

Very sad state of affairs.

• Thanks 1