Potential new transfer rules

I have no idea where to best put this, but it is looking more and more likely that the NCAA is going to get rid of the rule, for both football and basketball, requiring transfers to sit out for a year before becoming eligible for their new team.

I remember a lot of people on this board talking about how much they disliked that grad transfers can play immediately when we were discussing Antino and Noah this past off season and this a another step further from that. 

Edited by UAZippers

18 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Nope. It means that a real star mid-major can transfer to a P5 to have a better shot at the NBA. Killer for schools like us.

Right but it also means the middle tier P5 player that loses his spot to the star mid-major transfer can transfer to a school like us and also have a shot at the NBA due to exposure and experience. 

42 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Right but it also means the middle tier P5 player that loses his spot to the star mid-major transfer can transfer to a school like us and also have a shot at the NBA due to exposure and experience. 

Very very unlikely since they can transfer to another P5 team and play. This is a screwing for the mid majors. Where it WILL help is recruiting - you can get a top recruit who knows he will sit at tOSU for a year, but can play in the MAC, get noticed and get out. So we might get some good one year wonders, then lose them. With no sitting out a year, there is NOTHING to keep a major quality player at Akron, Buffalo, Toledo, Kent State et al.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

This means that top 25 schools will no longer need to recruit HS kids. They can simply recruit elite players from midmajor programs. Way to go NCAA!!! 

I imagine that the amount of poaching likely to take place with this rule change will lead to Mid-Majors eventually having to file a class-action lawsuit against the NCAA. Maybe all Mid-Majors would leave and form their own association which would kill the greatness of March Madness, but protect the investment these universities put into the development of student athletes. Just thinking out loud.

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Unfortunately, "upward mobility" has now become a part of the college game.  Michael Weathers who bailed on Miami to head to Oklahoma State after a big freshman year is just one example.

He's sitting out this year, right? So upward mobility is already occurring under the current transfer rules. 

The tweet mentions it possibly being a one-time freebie. As I mentioned before, the P5 player that loses his spot to the star mid-major transfer might transfer to a mid-major to get more exposure. If they implement a one-time freebie, I'm assuming that means he can't bolt for a bigger school the year after having success at the mid-major he transferred to. 

I don't really know how I feel about it. I'm sure there will be both positive and negative consequences in both football and basketball. Players may think that being at a larger program will help them make the NBA or NFL, but there is plenty of recent history that suggests you will get your shot no matter where you play. Dame Lilliard, Steph Curry,  Cameron Payne, Larry Nance, Khalil Mack, Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, and Eric Fisher all immediately come to mind.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He's sitting out this year, right? So upward mobility is already occurring under the current transfer rules. 

The tweet mentions it possibly being a one-time freebie. As I mentioned before, the P5 player that loses his spot to the star mid-major transfer might transfer to a mid-major to get more exposure. If they implement a one-time freebie, I'm assuming that means he can't bolt for a bigger school the year after having success at the mid-major he transferred to. 

Yes, he is sitting for the year.  My point was that it's already happening before the rule change.  With the change, it will only get worse.

I would propose that the rule be changed immediately yet only temporarily for the sole purpose of getting Jackson, Hester and Riak on the floor now!  

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 7:56 AM, kreed5120 said:

I don't think we'll see top 25 teams exclusively recruit mid-major players, but it's certainly going to be a tool they use.

I agree with this. The majority of the recruiting will still be high school players, but this greases the wheels of mobility. Talent will rise and fall more often and easily to fill those occasionally empty roster spots and needs at P5 Schools. This will kill parity. Say goodbye to Cinderella. The end result is the product at the P5 level will only increase and the product at the Mid-Major level will be watered down. Size, speed, talent and athleticism that is missed or developed early on coming out of high school will now make it's way up the ladder more often without a penalty in place. Only players who have loyalty to teammates/coaches, have reasons for staying close to home or are legacy products to a specific university will stay back.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I agree with this. The majority of the recruiting will still be high school players, but this greases the wheels of mobility. Talent will rise and fall more often and easily to fill those occasionally empty roster spots and needs at P5 Schools. This will kill parity. Say goodbye to Cinderella. The end result is the product at the P5 level will only increase and product at the Mid-Major level will be watered down. Size, speed, talent and athleticism that is missed or developed early on coming out of high school will now make it's way up the ladder more often without a penalty in place. Only players who have loyalty to teammates/coaches, have reasons for staying close to home or are legacy products to a specific university will stay back.

I don't know if that's entirely true. Aside from Steph Curry, who was the last standout from a mid-major to single-handily lead his team to an upset in the NCAA tournament while producing All-American statistics throughout that season or their career? Most upsets/Cinderellas are team efforts either where the coach puts together an extraordinary game plan/motivational speech or a few players play out of their minds, well above their season's standards. 

Another possibility is that more parity is created. The goal for many of these players is to get to the NBA or professional basketball in general, right? You get there by standing out, and as or if the P5 level teams start to get crowded, players might want to distance themselves from the crowd and create a name for themselves at the mid-major level. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1