Best QB in the 2018 NFL draft

QB  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Previous years. 2017 - 2016 - 2015 - 2014

I have heard a scout say the 2018 draft will rival the 1983 quarterback talent (Elway, Marino and Kelly). There were SIX QB's taken that year in round one.  

PFF's way too early mock has five quarterbacks going in the top of the first round. 

Sam Darnold USC

Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State

Josh Allen Wyoming

Lamar Jackson Louisville

Josh Rosen UCLA

Should be a fun year to follow.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Darnold is so good

He is really the only one I'm sold on at this very early point. Rosen has some Manziel in him off of the field. I don't get Allen hype at all. The system Rudolph is coming from always raises questions, as does a QB with Lamar Jackson's playing style.

Edited by LZIp

I like to think I follow college football pretty religiously yet I never even heard of him until the MWC championship. I watched that and their bowl game and came away unimpressed. He could have declared this year, IIRC.

• 6 months later...

This class was once described the best college QB class in history? I heard a scout last year (he took a year off because of family health issues) describe Darnold as the second highest rated QB he has ever graded coming out of college. Only behind Elway. This was before the season started. I'll have to get an update on that grade coming into the draft. If he comes out. With his love for the (hot) tub, Rosen better hope a warm weather team grabs him. Not many at the top right now. Looking forward to seeing a lot of these guys in bowl games. That's where I can really overreact with an opinion. ?

• 1 month later...

Self proclaimed draft guru Mel Kiper has Josh Allen going number one to the Browns. 

Mel: "The other top quarterbacks have warts, and there is no slam-dunk No. 1 prospect, which makes it a fun class. Scouts are looking forward to seeing Allen at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, next week, where he will work out with much better talent."

*** I've added the poll today ***

Sounds like the right attitude, and he is correct. He would have a good start working with Haley. 

Wyoming QB Josh Allen said he wants "to be the guy that turns around" the Browns.

"The guy that does that is going to be immortalized in Cleveland forever," Allen added. "If I’m fortunate enough to become a Cleveland Brown, you can expect everything from me." This is almost a subtweet of UCLA QB Josh Rosen, who said he would rather "be a lower pick" than play for the "wrong team." A scout reportedly told MMQB's Peter King there is "no way" the Browns pass on Allen, so it is possible the quarterback gets his wish. source: rotoworld

• 2 months later...

Browns Consider Drafting Two Quarterbacks in First Round.

"I have asked multiple members of the Cleveland Browns organization—which owns picks no. 1 and 4, in addition to three second-rounders—what I thought was a very stupid question: Have you considered ignoring all norms and drafting two quarterbacks high in the draft? The answer is yes. The people I asked have thought about it, discussed it, and investigated it." -- Kevin Clark 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Of course the Steelers took Mason Rudolph. 

Meh. The almighty Steelers took Josh Dobbs last year and people were saying something similar. That pick must not be so great if they are willing to spend higher draft capital on another QB a year later.

Edited by LZIp

On 4/28/2018 at 1:43 PM, LZIp said:

...Steelers took Josh Dobbs last year and people were saying something similar. 

Not me. I wrote this before the draft. " I know the NFL team I root for is high on Dobbs, I am not. If I HAD to have a QB I suppose I would draft Mahomes."

Not sure what to think about Rudolph, I haven't seen him play, and haven't viewed a highlight film on him yet. I have heard him interviewed since being drafted, he seems a little "soft" to me. He has a great opportunity, and walks into a perfect situation for himself. I honestly didn't expect the Steelers to draft a QB unless this type of opportunity presented itself. Since the Steelers don't get to draft in the top 10, seems like a decent chance to take with the 79th pick. 

----------------------------------------------------

Just a reminder, Mel is out, if he is a man of his word...which I doubt.

Kiper had ND quarterback Jimmy Clausen ranked as the fourth best prospect in the entire 2010 NFL Draft even though most other draft pundits had the QB projected to go in the second round (Clausen was selected 48th overall). At the time, people accused Kiper of being biased since he and Clausen shared the same agent, Gary Wichard.

"Kiper ‘If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.’

"McShay: ‘What is your time frame, Mel? When do we make that assessment?’

“Kiper: “I want eight years.”

“McShay: ‘It will only take three years, Mel. We can tell inside three years.’

“Kiper: ‘I want eight.’

Times up. Hope ESPN wises up so I have another option to watch during the draft. 

• Like 1

I do not listen to ESPN Cle, but surely I am not the only one who heard that because the Browns drafted Mayfield, 1) Goldhammer is supposed to eat horse poop (which he claims he still will do) and 2) Grossi is supposed to retire. Please, please let both of those happen.

• Like 1

I started watching video (all his throws in one game broken down to around eleven minutes) on Rudolph at lunch today.  I only watched two games, but I like his college "tape" way better than Dobbs. I'll have to clarify my "soft" statement from above. He may speak soft, but he doesn't play soft. I may actually watch some preseason this year. 

@ Iowa State and @ Pitt

Marvin Lewis jokes the Steelers “had the room” bugged and were discussing drafting QB Mason Rudolph before Pittsburgh jumped ahead of them.

You can do this on any of the QB's drafted, just go to youtube and type in "draft breakdown (first name) (last name)." I like it better than watching highlight videos, because you get to watch all the bad throws too. Mayfield vs OSU

On 5/1/2018 at 12:54 PM, LZIp said:

I do not listen to ESPN Cle, but surely I am not the only one who heard that because the Browns drafted Mayfield, 1) Goldhammer is supposed to eat horse poop (which he claims he still will do) and 2) Grossi is supposed to retire. Please, please let both of those happen.

One of the comments on an article that discussed this said Goldhammer, for how embarrassing he is to the Cleveland fan base, should have to eat the horse crap as a halftime show. 

• 6 months later...

I watched Peyton Manning critique Baker's KC tape last night. Loved it. I couldn't watch Peyton play QB in the NFL, too much directing every play before the snap always got on my nerves, but this skill translates well when describing the QB position in these film breakdowns. If you are a Browns fan, and/or a Baker fan, you will want to watch this. Very well done. I'll go back and watch all of them now. Unlike many "sports" shows now-a-days, you should learn something watching this. 

If you don't have ESPN+, here is a small breakdown, but not nearly as good as the video. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, Dr Z said:

Sounds like the right attitude, and he is correct. He would have a good start working with Haley. 

Wyoming QB Josh Allen said he wants "to be the guy that turns around" the Browns.

"The guy that does that is going to be immortalized in Cleveland forever," Allen added. "If I’m fortunate enough to become a Cleveland Brown, you can expect everything from me." This is almost a subtweet of UCLA QB Josh Rosen, who said he would rather "be a lower pick" than play for the "wrong team." A scout reportedly told MMQB's Peter King there is "no way" the Browns pass on Allen, so it is possible the quarterback gets his wish. source: rotoworld

Will be interesting to see if Josh can keep his season going all year. He is off to a great start.