Game 20—@Ball State

Dr Z

10 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

Need a player or 2 to participate, offensively, with him. What in the world has happened to Utomi? He has turned himself into a one dimensional player. Such potential being wasted. Patton has a bigger inside presence at this point.....

Absolutely, we have all seen many a MAC team try to carry itself on one amazing player and it never ends up well.

15 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

Need a player or 2 to participate, offensively, with him. What in the world has happened to Utomi? He has turned himself into a one dimensional player. Such potential being wasted. Patton has a bigger inside presence at this point.....

Did I hear Utomi was 1-14 from 3 point range?  Wow.  I guess we shouldn't forget that he's only a sophomore in his first season as a starter.

Not getting the rebound off of the Ball State free throw miss late in the first OT was a killer. 

Wow! Winning that game would have been the figurative turning of a corner for this team. Too bad it didn't happen.

Ball state has been our little b*tc$ for more than a decade. And today was their chance. Moses(junior), Persons (junior), Sellers (senior) are going against a team of Ivey and a bunch of first year players. To make things even better, our starting center and our backup center are both sidelined. Even better, the game is in Muncie and the young Zips have not won a road game yet. With all these factors, it took ball state 2 OT + 3 blind mice :puke: to pull that win. 

Enjoy your win, cardinals!  God knows how long it will be before you get to beat Akron again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

Wow! Winning that game would have been the figurative turning of a corner for this team. Too bad it didn't happen.

Ball state has been our little b*tc$ for more than a decade. And today was their chance. Moses(junior), Persons (junior), Sellers (senior) are going against a team of Ivey and a bunch of first year players. To make things even better, our starting center and our backup center are both sidelined. Even better, the game is in Muncie and the young Zips have not won a road game yet. With all these factors, it took ball state 2 OT + 3 blind mice :puke: to pull that win. 

Enjoy your win, cardinals!  God knows how long it will be before you get to beat Akron again. 

Just noticed we have BS Puke and their dwarf coach again in a few weeks at home.  (No offense to Dan Peters' son).

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Reminded me of Ball vs. Xavier. 

The game was pretty similar to that game too, which I think was also 2 OT.    

I was thinking a lot about that game too as a point of comparison. I believe that game was 114-111 Xavier in 3OT in the JAR and that Ball had 44 points.

Anybody know the last time a Zips player had 48 points or more in a game? I don’t seem to remember one since I started following the Zips about 25 years ago.

Jakubick led the nation in scoring his Sr. year at Akron at somewhere around 30 ppg.  I'd figure he might have had a game that high at some point that year.  Maybe.  That would be the only one. 

Kudos for remembering all of the details of Xavier game.  When Jimmal was back here a few years ago, I got to sit with him and talk about that Xavier game one day.  Pretty cool.  And he's such a super person too.  

13 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How is that a foul on Cotton?!

Damn, I didn't get to see that or any of the 2nd OT. It's a good thing you all type the play by play highlights. I set my Direct TV to record an extra 1/2 hour, but they wasted so much time messing with the game clock and then double OT?!  Ugh!! That will learn me.    :(

Edited by Illini Zip

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Just noticed we have BS Puke and their dwarf coach again in a few weeks at home.  (No offense to Dan Peters' son).

I was not aware that we're playing them again this year. In my comment about BS not beating Akron for a long time, I was talking about future years.

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

It sucks that it came in a loss.  I cannot remember a more difficult buzzer beater 3.  He was well beyond the 3 point line and had a hand in his face and was off balence.

Steve McNees against Eastern Michigan at the Q to send it into double or triple OT.  Off his back foot over a defender.  It's on YouTube

Edited by NWAkron

39 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I was not aware that we're playing them again this year. In my comment about BS not beating Akron for a long time, I was talking about future years.

I didn't know either until I looked at my remaining tickets.  This loss really burned me more than others.  Maybe it was the refs, maybe Utomis misses, or missing that rebound but more likely it's losing to the MAC road kill known as Ball State and their whiny coach Whitford.  And as for the troll who made a crack about Groce and records...I seem to remember our MAC reg season champions having an ugly loss to BG last year...a team we previously owned.

Edited by NWAkron