Looking for the new Zippy

CDMac

Back in the Spring of 2000 I participated in this!  I didn't land Zippy, but I did get a call and became a professional Akron mascot....and I got to participate in the Olympic torch relay when it came through Akron on its way to Salt Lake City!  What a life achievement!   

Orbittorch.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

My buddy (non Akron grad) still gives me crap about that to this day after I invited him to the glorious opening of Infocision!

So what you're telling me is all this time we've been blaming the destruction of the football program and poor attendance on Ianello, when it was possibly related to Segway-Gate? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, CDMac said:

What's your 40 time and vertical?

Think you have to be able to handle some pretty athletic feats with a heavy costume so you need to be quick and explosive ;)

My 40 (extra pounds ) and Size 40(+) might make be better prepared to be the Alabama mascot!  

Seriously, I have a special respect for people who wear the mascot costume.  My daughter went to Northern Iowa and their Panther mascots are somehow kept hidden until graduation (for which they wear their Panther feet!).   They bring so much fun to school events, especially for kids (of all ages).   Hope they get some good ones for Zippy.  

@Cykron - I'm a University of Colorado Alumnus. The CU mascot is the best mascot in all of CFB (biased of course).

When Ralphie the Buffalo runs out onto the field pre-game it's freaking awesome. A couple of my buddies in college were "Ralphie handlers" which means they got to be drug around the field by a stampeding 2500 pound animal just for the kicks of it :D

I love the team mascots when they are engaged with the fans. Zippy does a pretty good job; hopefully he/she keeps it up.

• Like 1

...Which brings back one of my fondest memories of my times supporting Zips athletics -- which you long-time board members will no doubt recall.  On the basketball team's arrival at their Waikiki hotel in 1990, I was sitting in SID Mac Yates' room when I overheard the shout of the then Zippy performer to the cheerleading coach, "Okay...I got Zippy's head.  What'd you do with the tail?"  Half of Zippy remained in the Cheerleading office at the JAR.  Lovely free trip to Hawai'i, but the children of the Aloha State were hard to console!  We still await Zippy's full arrival on our shores.