2018 Preseason

Dr Z

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

OK LZip I'm bored and I'll bite. I don't care for many of these predictions. I don't think we are a fifth place team in the East. I agree we have many question marks, especially on offense, but I don't think Buffalo, BGSU or Miami are better than us. All were picked ahead of us. I do think OU is probably better. That being said we can beat all of them. To my way of thinking this predictor does not know what we have ready to put out on the field. They are unproven in many spots, but they are quality now, not like the Akron teams of old. This will be a challenging year for us. Yet we have weapons, depth and a growing sense of confidence. We are not fifth. 

I'm right there with you, but I think I have a little more respect for Miami and Buffalo than you. IMO, its a 4 team race for the East (with BGSU and Kent being clearly below everyone). So we could easily finish 4th, though it would be disappointing. I don't even think OU is on a different level anymore. Beware of the Buffalo QB being hyped as the next Josh Allen this year...its already happening. He may not even be the best QB on his team. IIRC the back up came in last year and broke records.

I too feel like the program is finally at a point where while we do have question marks, I don't think we have many holes (at least I hope not as the question marks do have talent) and are finally accumulating depth behind the starters.

20 hours ago, LZIp said:

pretty meh predictions, IMO, but something to discuss in this long-ass offseason.

https://macprospectus.com/2018/07/17/mac-football-preseason-team-predictions-2018/

Not terrible for this time of the year. 

I'm going to stick by what coach Bowden told me a month ago about "averaging closer to 175 yds running per game", and repeat, our season's success will depend heavily upon an improved running attack this year. Nice to see Abraham Alce on the "freshman of the year" award list. Hopefully the All-MAC Prospectus : Preseason 2019 Team will feature some offensive Zip starters. 

5 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Not terrible for this time of the year. 

I'm going to stick by what coach Bowden told me a month ago about "averaging closer to 175 yds running per game", and repeat, our season's success will depend heavily upon an improved running attack this year. Nice to see Abraham Alce on the "freshman of the year" award list. Hopefully the All-MAC Prospectus : Preseason 2019 Team will feature some offensive Zip starters. 

Yep, I thought Edwards did a good job on kickoff returns so this is where I'd use him (in addition to being a player coach type). Sands was decent at punt returns, but based on seniority he may not be back there (I'd put him there though). My thought would be to start Sands, but rely heavily on White and Alce to take two thirds of the carries till someone makes it clear that they are 'the guy'. That way, with a reduced workload, Sands may not end up on the the injured list and we would have fresh legs in there at all times. Risky playing true freshman I know, but I think we have to do it.          

Edited by UA1987

I just don't see a defense that's returning 10 starters finishing 5th. No chance.

If Kato makes the jump you'd expect from a QB entering his 3rd year in the program, we should vie for a championship again this season.

The two freshman OL's (Kelly and Fonte) will need to step in right away if we're going to have a great season. That's a lot to ask from Freshmen, but that's the situation. Hope they are as good as advertised.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I just don't see a defense that's returning 10 starters finishing 5th. No chance.

If Kato makes the jump you'd expect from a QB entering his 3rd year in the program, we should vie for a championship again this season.

The two freshman OL's (Kelly and Fonte) will need to step in right away if we're going to have a great season. That's a lot to ask from Freshmen, but that's the situation. Hope they are as good as advertised.

I pretty much agree about the defense. I think we need the run game of Kato is easily neutralized. If we have a run game, Kato becomes a serious threat if he stops trying to do too much.

3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I pretty much agree about the defense. I think we need the run game of Kato is easily neutralized. If we have a run game, Kato becomes a serious threat if he stops trying to do too much.

I hope Kato makes a nice leap this year.  Tbh, I don't have a ton of confidence in him.  I hope he proves me wrong!  

(I had more confidence in Woody as our best QB when he was still a sophomore & not getting any PT.  Used to frustrate me.  Unfortunately, I don't get the same vibe with Kato.  Again, I hope I'm wrong.)

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

College Football's Top 25 Breakout Quarterbacks for 2018

"... a dangerous dual-threat option for coach Terry Bowden. And with just 140 career pass attempts, Nelson is only going to get better with more playing time this fall."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

"The fighting Matt Campbells went 8-5 last season, but two of their wins were really impressive. On the defensive side of the ball, they are coached by Jim Heacock, who was regularly one of the top coordinators in the game when he coached at Ohio State."

Surely he is joking, right?  The Iowa State DC is Jon Heacock, former head coach at Youngstown State.  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Cykron said:

"The fighting Matt Campbells went 8-5 last season, but two of their wins were really impressive. On the defensive side of the ball, they are coached by Jim Heacock, who was regularly one of the top coordinators in the game when he coached at Ohio State."

Surely he is joking, right?  The Iowa State DC is Jon Heacock, former head coach at Youngstown State.  

Hustlebelt has unfortunately really taken a nose dive the past few years. They used to be a solid alternative to the crappy local coverage we get.

It was made public in the spring although there was no big announcement as to the special teams coordinator change. TB may have done that so as to not embarrass his brother, but it was long overdue. Unfortunately TB forgot to make the change at OC. Damn it! Makes you want to drink, but I enjoy any chance to have a cold one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

... and it's a little 'uncomfortable' at tosu.

The discomfort in Columbus is a little bonus to the August warmup to the season.  

• Like 1