Zips mens soccer spring season schedule

the zips will be playing the riverhounds in Pittsburgh on Sunday February 25...

Riverhounds announce 2018 preseason schedule

Eight-game slate includes matches against Steel FC and Penn FC

PITTSBURGH (January 29, 2018) – The Pittsburgh Riverhounds have announced their 2018 preseason schedule.

Spanning eight matches in total, the Hounds will travel outside the confines of Highmark Stadium only twice to face the University of Pittsburgh and Bethlehem Steel FC on March 2 and March 4, respectively. The club will play two USL foes in Steel FC, as well as Penn FC in its preseason finale on March 10.

Matches located at Highmark Stadium are free to attend for the public.

A full listing of the matches can be found below. Additional games may be added at a later date.  

2018 Preseason Schedule
February 10 – Spring Arbor University – 3 p.m. – Highmark Stadium
February 11 – Cleveland State University – 2 p.m. – Highmark Stadium
February 18 – St. Bonaventure University – 2 p.m. – Highmark Stadium
February 23 – University of Charleston – 7:30 p.m. – Highmark Stadium
February 25 – University of Akron – 2 p.m. – Highmark Stadium
March 2 – at University of Pittsburgh – 7 p.m. – Ambrose Urbanic Field (Pittsburgh, PA)
March 4 – at Bethlehem Steel FC – 3 p.m. – Power Training Complex (Chester, PA)
March 10 – Penn FC – 3 p.m. – Highmark Stadium

The Spring Schedule posted on GoZips.com today:

2018 Akron Men's Soccer Spring Schedule
Sun., Feb. 25 - at Pittsburgh Riverhounds – Pittsburgh, Pa., 2 p.m.
Sat., March 3 – at Penn State – University Park, Pa., 4 p.m.
Sun., March 11 – at Columbus Crew (Closed Scrimmage) – Columbus, Ohio, 11 a.m.
Fri., March 16 – vs. FC Porto Canada, FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field, 7 p.m.
Sat., April 7 – vs. University of Charleston (National Youth Football and Sports Complex - Field No. 3) – Canton, Ohio, 3 p.m.
Sun., April 22 – vs. Maryland, FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field, 12 p.m.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ZipsBurgh said:

Did anyone attend the game @ the Riverhounds yesterday?  Despite being local, I was not able to go.  I saw the result, but was curious who scored the goals, how we looked, etc.

Ezana Kahsay scored the first goal. David Egbo scored the 2nd Zips' goal in a great one-on-one with the GK. Instead of getting overzealous and potentially overshooting, he cooly dribbled to the left (GK's right) and put it in around the diving GK. Too bad the Rivehounds didn't bother to show the footage of the Zips' goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

No GK anywhere would have stopped that 4th goal by Riverhounds.  That shot rang the goal post like a bell just below the crossbar.  It was a world class free kick from (I think) #25.

Did you see Victor around?  I saw he didn't get any PT and was wondering if he was still with them.

9 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

Did you see Victor around?  I saw he didn't get any PT and was wondering if he was still with them.

No VIctor is no longer with the Riverhounds. Unfortunately, they did not pick up his option when they changed head coaches. I would have loved to have seen him.

Phil Fives and Stuart Holthusen, who were trialists, with the Riverhounds were let go the previous week. So, we didn't see them either.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Better turn out than expected in the freezing weather.  Dozens were in attendance to see Zips trounce FC Porto, a youth academy from Toronto. 

It is not too soon to say this:  Catch the brilliance that is David Egbo while you still can!  He is looking more special every outing! He is unlikely to play out his full eligibility.  Such touch!  Such poise!

Edited by fknbuflobo
addition
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Akron 2-4 Charleston

Marcel Zajac with FK goal and a really sweet crossing assist to David Egbo. A worrisome and lackluster effort by Zips.  Probably only 4 or 5 of players on today’s squad will start come Fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

AK 1-1 MD

A hotly contested affair, atypically for Spring.  Egbo, Zajac, Strachan, Lundt played well.  Evenly matched, which surprised me.  Terps have many more returning than do Zips.

Edited by fknbuflobo

The match saw the intensity ramp up after the opening 15 minutes. Both teams came to play and win. It got chippy at times. I thought Maryland had more opportunities to score but the Zips were not impressed. I spoke with Jared at the half and he said the team is starting to come together. They are understanding each other better and he will have depth once again. The new guys coming in will supplant many of today's starters. Bottom line is we played Maryland even with players that may not start in the fall. We will probably have a rocky fall start, but Jared will get them to gel. My biggest concern is who will be our distributing midfielder next fall? get that solved and we are ready to go deep in the playoffs.

• Like 2