Zips to Recruit More Ohio Student Athletes

Captain Kangaroo

I get it, I really do from a financial standpoint. I hope it isn't being enforced for the actual revenue generating sports that the majority care about. Talk about a competitive disadvantage not letting the coaches do their thing. I would think this will hamstring the U from getting the best coach they otherwise could when the times comes.

The only way it seems to me to help the University is financially. Again,the Info hangs like an albatross. Otherwise, there are several concerns for the football program in particular. First, the number of top quality DI athletes in Ohio is not what it used to be. Population out migration. The very best Ohio athletes are going to OSU or probably another Big-10 program. That leaves what is left for programs like Akron..etc.Then come the Toledos,Cincys etc that will pick off the best of the rest. Second,how many of the other MAC schools are limiting themselves in this way? That means that the out of state recruits that Akron may no longer pursue are going to go to places like OU,Toledo,WMU,Pitt,Cincy etc. if they come to Ohio at all. The repercussions of this have yet to be felt,obviously!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

The problem with that is the same state financial dynamics apply to all 8 mid-major football progrums in Ohio if you include Cinci and ysu who are already competing for the best Ohio players.  Does this increase our recruiting competitiveness within Ohio in some way?

Do we know if other MAC schools have/are imposing these same restrictions on sports recruiting? I am afraid what may happen is that after the best Ohio recruits are snapped up by bigger programs as usually happens now there may be even more competition for those Ohio kids who are left. Now lets say Akron has an Ohio recruit in its sights. And,that kid decides to go elsewhere in the MAC or another mid level conference. It happens. Is Akron now going to be limited to going after even 'lower level'(not using this derogatorily) Ohio recruit instead of being able to go outside of Ohio for a more highly rated recruit? IF thats the case the overall talent drop off 

within the program becomes more of a problem over time. If the program can't go after a Florida or Pennsylvania kid because of the new emphasis on 'staying in Ohio' what happens.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:39 AM, LZIp said:

I get it, I really do from a financial standpoint. I hope it isn't being enforced for the actual revenue generating sports that the majority care about. Talk about a competitive disadvantage not letting the coaches do their thing. I would think this will hamstring the U from getting the best coach they otherwise could when the times comes.

At least don't enforce it on QB's and RB's. And OL/DL.... :(

18 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Or WR's, LB's, DL & DB's.  Lol

(Actually as an aside, we wouldn't have to go outside the city for RB's. Akron cranks out an unbelievable number of top-shelf RB's. It's just crazy.)

?? Who are the top-shelf RB's we're getting from Akron?

8 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

?? Who are the top-shelf RB's we're getting from Akron?

I said Akron cranks out top-shelf RB's, not that the U is getting them. Lol.

However, just last year we got two 1st-Team All-Ohioans in Marquise Bridges (if he's eligible - crossing fingers) and Jemarulin Suggs.

This year we signed DeVanier Floyd who, IMO, really may be the best of the three.