What former Zip player would Groce recruit?

1981 grad

When I heard Groce on the post games, he keeps coming back to the same theme, his players are not playing aggressive enough to win basketball games.  He wants tough defense and guys who are going to get pissed off if their man scores on them.  He wants guys who are going to win every lose ball and go for every rebound.  Guys who are going to play harder when the other team scores.  Last year I thought Antino best fit this mold.  This is a guy who did not like to lose and if we started losing he wanted the ball and was going to score.  He always played aggressive defense.  Jake Kretzer was another guy although he was limited athletically and by injuries but who would often come up with that tough rebound and was always diving for that lose balls. 

However, the Zip player that I thought best exemplies what Groce is looking for was Jamie Bosley.  This guys motor never stopped.  Has the same body build of Duvivier and very aggressive.  I would like to hear from other Zips fans on who you believe was the former Zip that would best exemplify what Groce wants on this team.

Jami_Bosley_-_YouTube_(360p).mp4

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1

Be careful what you wish for.

"What we do know is Antino Jackson, the senior point guard who was suspended for one game for an unspecified team rules violation, practiced Thursday and it appears likely he will be back on the court, though not as a starter, against the Spartans.

Weir will not say what Jackson did to warrant the suspension and would not comment when the Journal asked if it had to do with a physical altercation with a teammate."

https://www.abqjournal.com/1128092/lobos-expect-at-least-one-player-back-soon.html

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Blue Collar guys who immediately come to mind (other than the guys you mention) over the last few decades:

Linhart

Dials

Treadwell

Jenkins

Schutz

I have been a Zip B Ball fan for a number of years but have no recall of the last 2 players.  Can you tell me when Jenkins and Schutz played, the Zips coach and their postions?

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I have been a Zip B Ball fan for a number of years but have no recall of the last 2 players.  Can you tell me when Jenkins and Schutz played, the Zips coach and their postions?

Tron Jenkins from Barberton - Early 90's 

Doug Schutz from Mentor - Mid 80's 

I'm a little surprised, if your history with Zips Basketball goes back that far.  Both were pretty key players for their teams.  Schutz was on the team that went to the NCAA tourney in 1986.   I remember him going to the locker room during a game to get stitches on a cut above his eye, and returning to the game.  He was a "scrapper".  

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm a little surprised, if your history with Zips Basketball goes back that far.  Both were pretty key players for their teams.  Schutz was on the team that went to the NCAA tourney in 1986.   I remember him going to the locker room during a game to get stitches on a cut above his eye, and returning to the game.  He was a "scrapper".  

You predate me as I do not recall these players. Although I started attending games in the eighties, I did not start following the team and attending more games until KD became an assistant coach under Hipsher since I knew KD. 

OK, if we're going to stretch back, Russell Holmes from the 85-86 team.  Huggins was short on bigs and they got UA football player Holmes to come out to help.  At 6-3 , he was outsized but survived on grit, hustle and muscle.  Guy lettered in football and basketball.  When was the last time you heard that?

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Okay, two can play THIS game!!!

I'll see you Ricky Brown, and raise you John Britton!  :rofl:

Actually, Britton probably still holds the school record for shot attempt.  Averaged over 20ppg, but the same # of shots!  lol  No Captain, we're NOT talking about D Tarver here!  :P

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

OK, if we're going to stretch back, Russell Holmes from the 85-86 team.  Huggins was short on bigs and they got UA football player Holmes to come out to help.  At 6-3 , he was outsized but survived on grit, hustle and muscle.  Guy lettered in football and basketball.  When was the last time you heard that?

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Jason Taylor did it too.

So did Chris Kelly.  Same year as Holmes.  

And Wayne Wade a few years later.  

On 2/4/2018 at 6:35 AM, 1981 grad said:

When I heard Groce on the post games, he keeps coming back to the same theme, his players are not playing aggressive enough to win basketball games.  He wants tough defense and guys who are going to get pissed off if their man scores on them.  He wants guys who are going to win every lose ball and go for every rebound.  Guys who are going to play harder when the other team scores.  Last year I thought Antino best fit this mold.  This is a guy who did not like to lose and if we started losing he wanted the ball and was going to score.  He always played aggressive defense.  Jake Kretzer was another guy although he was limited athletically and by injuries but who would often come up with that tough rebound and was always diving for that lose balls. 

However, the Zip player that I thought best exemplies what Groce is looking for was Jamie Bosley.  This guys motor never stopped.  Has the same body build of Duvivier and very aggressive.  I would like to hear from other Zips fans on who you believe was the former Zip that would best exemplify what Groce wants on this team.

Jami_Bosley_-_YouTube_(360p).mp4

I don't know anything about the history of Akron basketball so I am not of any use there, but I do know what Groce likes in his players. Watch this video of incoming point guard, Loren Jackson. Groce calls him a water bug because he's like 5'-7". Notice how he is always in attack mode on both offense and defense. These tiny point guards are often a defensive liability, but they are great for breaking down a full court press. I wish Illinois had this guy last year when we played West Virginia. 

Just in case you haven't seen this one.

Edited by Illini Zip