Game 23—@Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Athens Tuesday night to face the 9-13 Snobcats.  OU is 2-8 in the MAC and last in the East (which makes me smile inside just a little.)  They have a 4 game losing streak which started with a 71-68 loss to the Zips.  Freshman guard Teyvion Kirk leads scoring at 15.2 ppg with senior guard Mike Laster kicking in 15.0 ppg.   Junior forward Doug Taylor leads rebounding at 7.2 ppg.   Gavin Block kept OU in the game at the JAR  with 18 points, 7 rebounds and was 6/11 on three pointers.  A loss would drop the Zips into the cellar with the Snobcats.

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 23—@Ohio University
48 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

A loss would drop the Zips into the cellar with the Snobcats.

I cringed when I saw this line.  Looking at the standings, this game probably means more than to us than just staying out of last place right now.  We may just end up needing this victory to avoid finishing in last place for the season.  OU's is really bad, but they can still probably win at any time on their home floor. 

A game against a bad team like this will probably be a good indicator of whether these guys have thrown in the towel this year.   

Edited by skip-zip

54 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I cringed when I saw this line.  Looking at the standings, this game probably means more than to us than just staying out of last place right now.  We may just end up needing this victory to avoid finishing in last place for the season.  OU's is really bad, but they can still probably win at any time on their home floor. 

A game against a bad team like this will probably be a good indicator of whether these guys have thrown in the towel this year.   

Uplifting as always, Skip!

I don't usually by into the "thrown in he towel" "coach has lost the team" memes because I don't know what is going on in practice or in the locker room after the game.  However, someone pointed out the low # of assists in the last game and if we see that continue and players just driving to the hoop at will with no results I will begin to wonder.   I appreciate that Groce comes out for interview even when they lose.  And I appreciate when he said he's not afraid to lose if it means benching players who refuse to hustle.  Very Norman Dale and Indiana of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I cringed when I typed it, but it is factual.  I guess the truth hurts.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I cringed when I typed it, but it is factual.  I guess the truth hurts.

This is beginning to read like Bobcat Attack.  But we will be getting our scheudenfreude back in spades after mocking their meltdown.  

As we all look forward to the MAC tourney, just a reminder Travel Zoo had better deals and seats than the Zips ticket office.  :champs:

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

This is beginning to read like Bobcat Attack.  But we will be getting our scheudenfreude back in spades after mocking their meltdown.  

As we all look forward to the MAC tourney, just a reminder Travel Zoo had better deals and seats than the Zips ticket office.  :champs:

...and some Verizon stores had free tickets.

I am usually an optimistic guy but when I look at this game I see:

A Zips team that has lost 3 straight.

A Zips team that just lost by 21 at home.

A Zips coach who indicates post game his players are not playing with any toughness, energy or tenacity.

A Zips coach who indicates post game some of his players are not coachable.

A Zips team where a non scholarship player with limited offensive skills is playing 30 minutes.

A Zips team that has not won a road game or any game away from the JAR all season.

I guess to put this in perspective, I think our chances of winning this game are about the same as one of our geriatric season ticket holders hitting the rim on the $25,000 half court shootout.  Of course, deep inside I still am rooting that this team will turn it around and win their first road game.  Go Zips!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I am usually an optimistic guy but when I look at this game I see:

A Zips team that has lost 3 straight.

A Zips team that just lost by 21 at home.

A Zips coach who indicates post game his players are not playing with any toughness, energy or tenacity.

A Zips coach who indicates post game some of his players are not coachable.

A Zips team where a non scholarship player with limited offensive skills is playing 30 minutes.

A Zips team that has not won a road game or any game away from the JAR all season.

I guess to put this in perspective, I think our chances of winning this game are about the same as one of our geriatric season ticket holders hitting the rim on the $25,000 half court shootout.  Of course, deep inside I still am rooting that this team will turn it around and win their first road game.  Go Zips!

Agree.  I don't recall Groce saying some were uncoachable but I remember the rest.  Wonder who will go the way of the BJ Gladden (not saying anything negative about Gladden) once Groce has complete control of who stays and goes.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Agree.  I don't recall Groce saying some were uncoachable but I remember the rest.  Wonder who will go the way of the BJ Gladden (not saying anything negative about Gladden) once Groce has complete control of who stays and goes.

He never directly said anybody was uncoachable. I believe he said that as he builds the program and gets his system into place, he wants his guys to be coachable. 

I could see Utomi transferring like Gladden. His body language reminds me of Josh Williams from last year, who knew he was already leaving. Not saying Utomi is leaving, he just looks disinterested, disengaged, and beaten down. 

To put the focus back on the game tomorrow night, this is a must-win in my eyes for a couple different reasons. #1 We have to get the road monkey off our back. #2 Beating OU at OU in Groce's first game back since leaving for Illinois would be HUGE for the floor of the program. #3 Piggy-backing off of number 2, beating OU at OU in Groce's first game back since leaving for Illinois with our roster completely decimated by transfers, graduations, and injuries would really be salt in the wound for OU, their fans, and their program. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

I think this is the first time Utomi has struggled.  He was a huge scorer in high school and didn't have any real expectations placed on him last year.  This year, the exodus of so many players combined with his early season play against inferior opponents sent the expectations  of him through the roof and I am sure he bought into it to some extent.  Now he's being forced into strange territory from jumping center to start the game to guarding the other teams' bigs.  I certainly hope it doesn't push him towards a transfer and that he sees reinforcements are on the way.   He could be a big part of the future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He never directly said anybody was uncoachable. I believe he said that as he builds the program and gets his system into place, he wants his guys to be coachable. 

I could see Utomi transferring like Gladden. His body language reminds me of Josh Williams from last year, who knew he was already leaving. Not saying Utomi is leaving, he just looks disinterested, disengaged, and beaten down. 

He's had a rough few games.  If Groce wants him, he will stay.  There may be a power struggle with players thinking the Coach needs them more than they need the Coach.   Groce is drawing the line on that concept.  I don't know what's going on with team dynamics.  I know Dambrot left a gutted team that will take a few years to rebuild.

What players will.step up for their Coach tomorrow?

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

didn't have any real expectations placed on him last year. 

This is probably all that needs to be said.  Circumstances are much different.  There's a big difference between coming into a game to play a brief role and fire up a few 3-balls, and being forced to carry a big, heavy weight of an entire team on your back.  

Edited by skip-zip

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

He's had a rough few games.  If Groce wants him, he will stay.  There may be a power struggle with players thinking the Coach needs them more than they need the Coach.   Groce is drawing the line on that concept.  I don't know what's going on with team dynamics.  I know Dambrot left a gutted team that will take a few years to rebuild.

What players will.step up for their Coach tomorrow?

Don't agree that this team was gutted.  We'd be in such a different place if Olojakpoke/Sayles were active all season.  

Also don't agree it'll take years.  I think we're contending for the MAC title as soon as next year if the transfers are as good as advertised: 

Olojakpoke/Sayles

Utomi/Toles/Parrish

Riak/Kostelac/Smith

Ivey/Cotton/Patton

Hester/Jackson

I am not a genius when it comes to "Groce talk" but I think this means that he is coaching and members of the team are not doing what the coach is telling them to do:  

“I thought our coachability was poor and when your coachability is poor, your effort is not where it needs to be, your attitude is not where it needs to be.

He then follows that up with it is my way or the highway:

Paraphrasing a quote he’d seen, Groce said teams that struggle the way the Zips have possess two kinds of players — those who hate losing so much that they change their habits or those who love those habits so much they’re willing to lose.

“Those guys who are the second type, they can do that someplace else,” he said.

To be fair to Groce most of these guys were not his recruits or were last minute recruits so this may not be the team he imagined coaching.  It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akronzips71 said:

There appear to be too many independent operators. You can see this in all the forced 3 point attempts without setting up plays.

I only watch on TV or online, but the only ones who seem totally committed are Hustle One and Hustle Two.

4 assists.  Four.  Damn.  Assists.

13 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

Hester

I've talked about this guy before.  In my opinion, he's probably the only guy with the tools to make immediate impact next year.  But, is he just basically a wash because we lose Malcolm from the group of Guards?

I think the surprise you have to hope for if you want improvement next year rests with Riak.  We'll have a guy in the paint who has great size, and can move.  However, if his last playing stint is any indication, he's not a scorer.   But, I hope that he can at least immediately give us some much-needed rebounding help.  

Lets also hope this whole thing doesn't fall apart yet this year to the point where any good players decide to leave.  I am a little concerned that the change in the situation this year could make someone like Daniel have 2nd thoughts that he decided to stay, especially since he still has 2 years to play somewhere else.  

I'm sure some people will be correct in assuming that future recruiting might also be hampered by the way this season is going.  But, I think we probably also will be helped by the fact that this staff has had a year to start building relationships with high school kids, and won't be in a situation again where we have to fill roster spots with whoever is available.