Game 23—@Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

17 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Lets also hope this whole thing doesn't fall apart yet this year to the point where any good players decide to leave.  I am a little concerned that the change in the situation this year could make someone like Daniel have 2nd thoughts that he decided to stay, especially since he still has 2 years to play somewhere else.  

2 years at a lower division. 1 year at a D1 program.

I don't see him leaving. Groce has raved about his work ethic and commitment all season. Now that's he's hit a little wall he's out the door? Not buying it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't see him leaving. Groce has raved about his work ethic and commitment all season. Now that's he's hit a little wall he's out the door? Not buying it.

He certainly does appear to have bought in.

One thing I have noticed the last couple of games is some awful body language, especially on defense after giving up points.  Rather than appear angry that they were beat, I'm seeing a look of "Damn, here we go again."   Hope that's not a sign of anything.

19 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He certainly does appear to have bought in.

One thing I have noticed the last couple of games is some awful body language, especially on defense after giving up points.  Rather than appear angry that they were beat, I'm seeing a look of "Damn, here we go again."   Hope that's not a sign of anything.

I see it too...but to me it's just human nature. Every night we are facing teams that are bigger, stronger, more experienced, deeper...that beats you down. 

Utomi's points, rebounds and minutes are through the roof when compared to last season. He's worked really hard to improve himself, but he just doesn't have the supporting cast to win. And if you came to Akron to play basketball, your expectation is to win...a lot. That beats you down.

Tough season for the players and fans. Hopefully the guys shake this mid-season malaise and get a couple wins to finish the regular season.

A little confidence, and Sayles return, might get us a game in Cleveland? Seems impossible right now, but once you get past Toledo and Buffalo...the MAC ain't very good. A hot Utomi/Ivey/Duvivier can do some damage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I see it too...but to me it's just human nature. Every night we are facing teams that are bigger, stronger, more experienced, deeper...that beats you down. 

Utomi's points, rebounds and minutes are through the roof when compared to last season. He's worked really hard to improve himself, but he just doesn't have the supporting cast to win. And if you came to Akron to play basketball, your expectation is to win...a lot. That beats you down.

Tough season for the players and fans. Hopefully the guys shake this mid-season malaise and get a couple wins to finish the regular season.

A little confidence, and Sayles return, might get us a game in Cleveland? Seems impossible right now, but once you get past Toledo and Buffalo...the MAC ain't very good. A hot Utomi/Ivey/Duvivier can do some damage.

From your mouth to the basketball gods' ears Captain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I do not think Groce was referring to Daniel since he played 35 minutes.  However, Duviver and Jimond only played 25 minutes and Jimond did not have a single rebound.  I also thought Duvivier did not guard his man very well from long distance.  Since Duvivier is a senior and Jimond is a senior next year I just don't see anyone leaving unless they change the sit out rule next year and then who knows what will occur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

However, Duviver and Jimond only played 25 minutes and Jimond did not have a single rebound.  I also thought Duvivier did not guard his man very well from long distance.  

Malcolm's play bothered me on Saturday.  Reminded me of Noah's worst offensive moments when he would just dribble in circles without looking for a pass. Could you explain to a guy who never played (me) what you meant about not guarding well from long distance?  

Edited by NWAkron

My comments had nothing to do with how Coach is handling Utomi, or what he might do with him in the future.  

I was referencing how Daniel, himself, might be assessing his own current situation in the wake of how things have gone this year.  

Those who wish to base their opinions on Coach Speak can do so at their own risk. :lol:

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Malcolm's play bothered me on Saturday.  Reminded me of Noah's worst offensive moments when he would just dribble in circles without looking for a pass. Could you explain to a guy who never played (me) what you meant about not guarding well from long distance?  

Sure,  if a guy is scoring from behind the 3 line you have to guard him closely even if he is 3 or 4 feet behind the 3 line.  Duviver's man was hot from the 3 line and Duvivier kept giving him space so that when he shot Duvivier did not have a hand in his face.  

17 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

Don't agree that this team was gutted.  We'd be in such a different place if Olojakpoke/Sayles were active all season.  

Also don't agree it'll take years.  I think we're contending for the MAC title as soon as next year if the transfers are as good as advertised: 

Olojakpoke/Sayles

Utomi/Toles/Parrish

Riak/Kostelac/Smith

Ivey/Cotton/Patton

Hester/Jackson

Hester is not a point guard. Unless something changes the point will be handled by Cotton and Jackson next season.

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I've talked about this guy before.  In my opinion, he's probably the only guy with the tools to make immediate impact next year.  But, is he just basically a wash because we lose Malcolm from the group of Guards?

I think the surprise you have to hope for if you want improvement next year rests with Riak.  We'll have a guy in the paint who has great size, and can move.  However, if his last playing stint is any indication, he's not a scorer.   But, I hope that he can at least immediately give us some much-needed rebounding help.  

Lets also hope this whole thing doesn't fall apart yet this year to the point where any good players decide to leave.  I am a little concerned that the change in the situation this year could make someone like Daniel have 2nd thoughts that he decided to stay, especially since he still has 2 years to play somewhere else.  

I'm sure some people will be correct in assuming that future recruiting might also be hampered by the way this season is going.  But, I think we probably also will be helped by the fact that this staff has had a year to start building relationships with high school kids, and won't be in a situation again where we have to fill roster spots with whoever is available.  

Hester may or may not be a wash with Duvivier leaving (I would assume Hester can run the point a bit better even if he's more of a 2 guard; I can't stand Duvivier at PG), but I think the ceiling for his impact is sky high. He looks like - build and highlight wise - a hybrid between some of the kids from Groce's first recruiting class and some of the kids on Buffalo that kill us every game. As rough as this year is, I think next year is going to be very, very fun. Cotton is really developing into a nice PG. We'll have some depth in the front court. Groce and staff will have a full year to recruit. 

But first, sweep the Kittens!

:eek: IS THAT AN OPTIMISTIC TONE COMING FROM SKIP-ZIP?! :eek: 

Alright, who hacked Skip's account?:beam:;)

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

As rough as this year is, I think next year is going to be very, very fun. Cotton is really developing into a nice PG. We'll have some depth in the front court.

And let's not forget about LePear Toles!  We should have excellent depth next season:

PG: Cotton/Jackson

W: Ivey/Hester/Parrish/Toles/Utomi/Patton

P: Sayles/Riak/K-lac

• Like 1

SnobcatAttack will be a good read tonight (hopefully). I want this win more to see their reactions than for our own record/benefit. 

And yes, I referred to it as SnobcatAttack because they apparently don't like being referred to as the Snobcats. Also, what is this they're talking about with Buffalo fans not liking us calling them SUNY-Canada?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Hester may or may not be a wash with Duvivier leaving (I would assume Hester can run the point a bit better even if he's more of a 2 guard; I can't stand Duvivier at PG), but I think the ceiling for his impact is sky high.

:eek: IS THAT AN OPTIMISTIC TONE COMING FROM SKIP-ZIP?! :eek: 

I agree.  That's why I keep talking about him as someone that can help us as soon as he gets on the floor.

I think I had a lot of both good and bad scenarios in that post.  Nobody can be sure about where this is going.  But right now, it appears to be moving backwards rather than forward.  I just hope we don't end up trying to rebuild this thing from the back of the pack by season's end.