Game 23—@Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

5 minutes ago, ogzips said:

ivey is a shooter he just not making shots. u fake AKRON ZIP FAN!!!!!  _ _ _K U

Let's not feed on each other here.  Everyone posting tonight is a huge Zips fan.  This is all very new for everyone.  We love Jimond.  He stuck around when others left.  Obviously, he and the Coach will need to have a come to jesus and figure this out...along with the rest of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I would have T'd up Mickle for the dunk after the whistle. I'm assuming that's what Grove was barking about.

OU has some players I'm really going to loathe for years to come. Dartis being the main one.

The more games that come and go, the more frustrated I get with how KD left. 

I'm going to go there and maybe get the rath of Skip and others but KD used up Big Dog and Kwan and left a hollowed out program.  Kudos to those who stayed, but I'm sure KD knew Antino, Noah, Josh, and whoever else were on the way out.  If he had a plan to stay longer he wouldn't have dialed in the recruiting like he did. 

Ok, got that off my chest.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

I'm going to go there and maybe get the rath of Skip and others but KD used up Big Dog and Kwan and left a hollowed out program.  Kudos to those who stayed, but I'm sure KD knew Antino, Noah, Josh, and whoever else were on the way out.  If he had a plan to stay longer he wouldn't have dialed in the recruiting like he did. 

Ok, got that off my chest.

Josh and Noah were leaving regardless. Josh went to play with his brother or whatever, and Noah wanted to play closer to home. I doubt Dambrot did anything to push Antino to stay, which aggravates me. He then took Big Mike & TDM, not that I was a big fan of either but that's depth that left. Ivey is undisciplined, Utomi is still young but was underdeveloped under Dambrot (he barely played Utomi last year). Poke is Poke, and I hope he's having a speedy recovery. It's just frustrating. I'm confident Groce will get us to the next level quickly, but this year is a bit eye opening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't like telling anyone else how to coach, but I'll say that it's very difficult to get young guys to respond to what he's doing.  It's one thing if they can see that it's leading to wins.  It's another when you're getting your a$$es handed to you for the 3rd straight game.  

Not sure I'm following what you mean by "young guys" and "what's he doing". 

Just heard Groce on the post game.  I wondered why he called a timeout with 37 seconds left.  He indicated he said everything he wanted to say in the timeout.  There is no question that he believes Ivey and Duvivier are not playing team ball.  We had 5 assists this game.

Groce seems to have lost his 2 veterans, Ivey and Duvivier.  I thought this team would be good this year based on the athleticism.  However, too many injuries, too many frosh, too many players that have not played together, and based on what Groce is indicating, too much attitude.  This is ugly basketball.

I understand Skips point, Groce has been calling out his players publicly that they are not tough and not hustling.  Some guys respond to that, some don't.  It is apparent that these guys could care less if the coach calls them out. 

@clarkwgriswold - you remember when you went on that vacation and forgot you'd tied Aunt Edna's dog Dinky to the station wagon bumper? Quoting the police officer - "The poor little guy probably kept up for a mile or so..."

This ramshackle, snake bitten Zips squad bravely kept up this season ... until about the 00:30 mark of the second Ball State OT. Then the legs gave out.

Excuse me while I go back and pick the carcass off the road.

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

@clarkwgriswold - you remember when you went on that vacation and forgot you'd tied Aunt Edna's dog Dinky to the station wagon bumper? Quoting the police officer - "The poor little guy probably kept up for a mile or so..."

This ramshackle, snake bitten Zips squad bravely kept up this season ... until about the 00:30 mark of the second Ball State OT. Then the legs gave out.

Excuse me while I go back and pick the carcass off the road.

Thanks, Captain, this animal lover appreciated that imagery before going to bed.:wave:

Ironically, I think our Beacon coverage is going to improve because there is actually some DRAMA and a story to tell.   I for one am anxious to see how this plays out on Saturday against lowly Central Michigan.

15 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Got a kick out of GT's game story last night, in which he identified the opponent as "Ohio Bobcats University" in the lede.  Proofreading ain't his thang.

His story today has OU going "16-of-27 (29 percent) from behind the 3-point line."  Ugh.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Along with laziness.  His defense is always, "Hey, I do what my employer asks of me and nothing more."

My father was an employee of the ABJ back in the day.  During the blizzard of '78, he and several co-workers tried to WALK to work to make sure the paper got out.  Now proofreading your own copy is too much to ask.

BTW, my dad only made it to Highland Square before he realized his folly.  The owner of the Bucket Shop was cleaning up from the previous night, so pops had many beers before calling for us to pick him up.  My mom told him to walk back home (3 miles).

• Like 1

I cannot believe being that sloppy is tolerated at ABJ. Then again, maybe it explains why they continually lose their talent and are dying. I wrote a good 500 word email to the editor once..even gave him suggestions on replacements. Never heard anything.

Edited by LZIp

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I cannot believe being that sloppy is tolerated at ABJ. Then again, maybe it explains why they continually lose their talent and are dying. I wrote a good 500 word email to the editor once..even gave him suggestions on replacements. Never heard anything.

I actually got a call from the publisher after I complained about Dyer's hit piece on Groce and the hiring process last Spring.  I then emailed Dyer and asked him if he bothered to call the athletic director before writing his opinion piece.   I also asked him out of curiosity how he became such an expert on Zips basketball without attending any games.  It went down hill from there.  But now GT has a story line he can run with as we go from regular season MAC champs to regular season basement.  That's the mentality you are dealing with there.  They thrive on others' failures because they are failing themselves.  (Oh, and the publisher was quite nice and reasonable and thought it might have been a good idea for Dyer to contact the AD.  Of course, that publisher left soon after that).

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1