Game 24—CMU

clarkwgriswold

41 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I think this game was a real bad match up for Mark. But where the hell was Patton today? He was dressed and on the bench.

It may have been and I can't complain too much because we won, just hated seeing them get 2nd chance points.

• Like 1

We started slow once again (3 points in the first 5-6 minutes).  However, I noticed good defense - active hands and moving feet.  Very nice to see that.  Also saw players diving on the floor for loose balls, which looks like a team that wants to go out there and compete.  Our size limited out interior defense, which is expected, but made the plays when they needed to.  All around good effort.  This win gives me some hope for a first round home game.

Edited by zipsrule

I am really happy to see my young short-handed zips pull that win tonight. 

The question that's currently on my mind is the following: How can Keno Davis (in his 6th year) go back to Mount Pleasant and explain to his AD that after 6 years in the program, he still could not beat a team of 9 players (including 2 walk-ons). 

32 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I am really happy to see my young short-handed zips pull that win tonight. 

The question that's currently on my mind is the following: How can Keno Davis (in his 6th year) go back to Mount Pleasant and explain to his AD that after 6 years in the program, he still could not beat a team of 9 players (including 2 walk-ons). 

That team has better talent than their record.  I'd think Keno is up for a lot of questions.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2018/02/akron_zips_central_michigan.html

Much better article. 

Didn't seem like that bad a crowd to me.

It wasn't, but 5-10 minutes before tip, there were a lot less people. It filled in decently well right before tip-off. 

22 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It filled in decently well right before tip-off. 

If that's what you call 2,300 (official tickets "sold" number), and you subtract half of the already-purchased lower bowl blue seats that were empty. 

You call it decent.  I call it embarrassing.  

I don't think I've seen this level of waning fan interest this long before the end of conference play since the Coleman Crawford days.  Even the Evans Lounge, that has always been packed and bustling an hour before gametime, has the atmosphere of a funeral parlor.    

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

If that's what you call 2,300 (official tickets "sold" number), and you subtract half of the already-purchased lower bowl blue seats that were empty. 

I don't think I've seen this level of waning fan interest this long before the end of conference play since the Coleman Crawford days.  Even the Evans Lounge, that has always been packed and bustling an hour before gametime, has the atmosphere of a funeral parlor.    

Oh stop. There were worse crowds during Dambrot's cupcake OOC schedule; actually I remember some similar attendance numbers during conference play under Dambrot when some garbage MAC West teams would come in. Half the issue is the MAC isn't interesting. Of course MAC-play attendance might be down a bit this year, but we've had some solid crowds for how decimated this team. It's up to Groce & co. to win games worth a damn in future seasons to build interest back up. 

My "filled in decently well" comment was in reference to what the place looked like 10+ minutes before tip, which was a ghost town. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The game was at 2:00...who the hell goes to a Zips basketball game at 2:00 in the afternoon...

Yes attendance is down this year...but for god sake to pretend like Saturday 2:00 games were packed houses before.

39 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

oh just stop already.  Pittsburgh is two hours away.

As for the Evans Lounge, I think this year or was it last year they stopped giving free food to all the VIP ticket holders.  Only the top donors (and you know what a wild and wacky crowd they are) can fill up on a meal before game and during halftime.  For everyone else, it's basically good for grabbing a water or maybe some popcorn at halftime.  There's no real reason to be there other than to watch everyone else eat unless you want to get there 30 minutes early to listen to an asst coach AND watch everyone else eat.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I know that name. He's a homer, but he's our White Sox broadcasting homer for one more year.

You may be both too young AND geographically mislocated to know it, but Ken ("the Hawk") Harrelson was the subject of the most celebrated trade of my youth involving the Cleveland Indians.  In 1969 the perennial fight-to-avoid-last-place tribe traded for slugger Harrelson from the Red Sox and the press heralded it as the beginning of the new renaissance which would actually have to wait another 25 or so years.  Harrelson hit about 30 HRs his first season for an improved but still subpar team (after initially refusing the trade and briefly "retiring").  Then he broke his leg the next pre-season and barely played at all.  Finally, the following season the Hawk retired for good -- with the pretense of joining the PGA golf tour!  Never hit a shot there, but his legend -- and ego will live on forever in the minds of long-time (and suffering) Indians fans..

I posted about how bad the crowd was 5 or 10 minutes before the game (which started this discussion).  It then filled in some.  The crowd was on the lower end, but I have seen worse.  Sub .500 basketball at a 2:00 tip-off isn't likely to get much of a crowd.

All in all, it was an entertaining game in large part because the teams were so evenly matched.  Unfortunately, that comment is not a positive for either team.

On a more important topic, could someone please explain to me why the pep band has "Fat Bottomed Girls" as a part of it regular repertoire which if often plays with the dance team on the floor.  It's the equivalent of playing the cavalry charge at the Indians games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

On a more important topic, could someone please explain to me why the pep band has "Fat Bottomed Girls" as a part of it regular repertoire which if often plays with the dance team on the floor.  It's the equivalent of playing the cavalry charge at the Indians games.

:lol:  I probably never noticed those two things occurring at the same time.  

• Haha 1