Game 26—@ PCCC

clarkwgriswold

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

:lol:

I think those numbers should answer the question.  They were indeed all "listed" at 6-6 to 6-7, which should give you a good indication that their actual heighths were not close to 6"-8"

With the exception of Treadwell (who wasn't really the exclusive post guy until Zeke's departure), the other two were literally playing their entire careers here as our "center",   Even in the MAC, those guys were playing playing at a disadvantage, and all did very well.  

I've "been there, done that" on the basketball player height listings.  And if you were ever around all of them during the course of their careers, talked to them, took pictures with them, etc., it would make you laugh.  

To quote a often used phrase:  "Size does not matter" whether you are 6 foot 7 or six foot 10.  In basketball there are numerous factors that lead to rebounding.  On the defensive end, it is boxing out, desire, being physical and learning to use your body to shield the defender as soon as the ball is shot.  For example, Kwan was not a good rebounder his frosh year.  However, he got stronger and learned to use his body to screen his man from the ball and became a good rebounder by his senior year.  On the offensive end it is quickness and desire.  Tree was always a great rebounder when he missed his shot and wanted the ball back.  His was one of the quicker big men we had when his mind was into the game.  I just looked up his stats in Israel and he is the leading rebounder on the team averaging double digit rebounds.  Klac even though he is tall is not a good rebounder because as a frosh he is not physical, does not yet know how to use his body, and is slow to the ball.  He also spends so much energy trying to defend he is slow to transition to rebounding.  He also gets out of position through no fault of his own when somebody on defense gets beat and he has to become a shot blocker.  Hopefully, he will improve but right now he is not a force on the boards.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

To quote a often used phrase:  "Size does not matter" whether you are 6 foot 7 or six foot 10.  In basketball there are numerous factors that lead to rebounding.  

I generally agree with you.  That's why I originally responded to the "tall players are the only thing that's going to help us" post, which is what started this entire debate.  And that's also why I pointed out some players we've had over the years that were not very tall, but were great post players for us.  

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 26—@ PCCC