Game 26—@ PCCC

clarkwgriswold

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It wasn't our best game of the season I'd give you that, but calling it an embarrassment is a stretch. Embarrassing is losing by 24 to the last place team in the MAC like we witnessed a week and a half ago or not making it to Cleveland for the tournament, which seems like a very real possibility given our recent play. 

Much like our different views when it comes to "success" (consecutive 20+ win seasons against mediocre teams vs. NCAA tournament wins), I view losing to our rival in the MAC tournament final with the effort we gave - or lack thereof - as embarrassing. 

Who did Can't lose from that team that put them at 6-7 in the MAC?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

I always go to this game and sit in the chairbacks with the Kent fans.  I bought my tickets months ago or I would probably watch this on TV.  This team has problems on the road playing to empty arenas.  I think this team will do even worse playing in front of a full house in a rivalry game.  I hope I am wrong but I am expecting a repeat of the Ohio game where we will be down by 20 by half.  Right now we are getting zero from the center postion and that means their center can just guard the lane.  I would play Utomi at center, put him out on the perimeter and hope he or someone gets hot from the 3 area. If nothing else it should keep Kent honest so that Jimond and Duvivier can drive the lane.   

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Much like our different views when it comes to "success" (consecutive 20+ win seasons against mediocre teams vs. NCAA tournament wins), I view losing to our rival in the MAC tournament final with the effort we gave - or lack thereof - as embarrassing. 

Who did Can't lose from that team that put them at 6-7 in the MAC?

Don't get me wrong I was disappointed and frustrated losing to Kent, but there is a difference between that and embarrassed. That Kent team got hot at the right time. You have to remember they knocked off #2 seeded OU and #3 seeded UB just to make it to the finals to play us. They then went onto the tourney and played UCLA tough for 30 minutes before running out of steam.

"(consecutive 20+ win seasons against mediocre teams vs. NCAA tournament wins)"

I never understood this. Why wouldn't you want both to win a lot of games and also get tournament wins. Why do people on this board think you have to pick between the two?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Don't get me wrong I was disappointed and frustrated losing to Kent, but there is a difference between that and embarrassed. That Kent team got hot at the right time. You have to remember they knocked off #2 seeded OU and #3 seeded UB just to make it to the finals to play us. They then went onto the tourney and played UCLA tough for 30 minutes before running out of steam.

"(consecutive 20+ win seasons against mediocre teams vs. NCAA tournament wins)"

I never understood this. Why wouldn't you want both to win a lot of games and also get tournament wins. Why do people on this board think you have to pick between the two?

It's not just that we lost, it's how we lost. The effort wasn't there, which is inexcusable. 

Hey, I would love to win 20+ games and NCAA Tournament games. I've never said it's an either/or; I don't believe anybody has. But during all of those 20+ win seasons, how many NCAA Tournament wins did we have?

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They didn't previously.  Not until the most recent coach hiring, when a few people got this idea in their head that 9th place teams winning the MAC tournament and scoring an upset in the Big Dance is a logical path that's bound to repeat itself again.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It's not just that we lost, it's how we lost. The effort wasn't there, which is inexcusable. 

Hey, I would love to win 20+ games and NCAA Tournament games. I've never said it's an either/or; I don't believe anybody has. But during all of those 20+ win seasons, how many NCAA Tournament wins did we have?

I just don't see an inverse relationship between the two. You have to make the tournament in order to have a chance to score that upset. Those 20+ win seasons put us in a position to make the tournament 3 times. We did fall short for whatever reason each of those 3 times, but getting to 20+ wins isn't what hindered us.

Anyways I'm done debating this. I honestly didn't try turning this thread into a Dambrot debate. I've tried staying out of those. I just hate the if you're not first you're last mentality that sports has turned into.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Those 20+ win seasons put us in a position to make the tournament 3 times. We did fall short for whatever reason each of those 3 times, but getting to 20+ wins isn't what hindered us.

I think that's exactly my point too.  The best teams in the MAC are the most likely to make the NCAA tournament.  And I am glad we were one of the top teams in the league all of those years, and got those opportunities.  It was a dramatic improvement from the 15 years that preceded it.  

I made a cup of tea, sat in my easy chair and read through their whopping three posts.

One of the three posters stated: "thoughts: more Zabo/ less Walker...hopefully success tomorrow."

That really surprised me.  I haven't been following K.e.nt at all this year, but is Jaylin Walker struggling?  Coming into the year I thought he might be preseason MAC POTY.  Apparently not happening for him.

They obviously haven't been able to adjust to life without Jimmy Hall.

I will have a tough time adjusting to the loss of Jimmy Hall as I will now have to find another Flash to direct insults.  His Hofstra "incident" coupled with his long stay at PCCC brought me years of joy.

Good luck to the Zips tomorrow. I am out of town so I will have to depend on you guys to cheer on the Zips and harass Mr. Pinky.