2018-2019

UAZip0510

I hope this doesn't evolve into a Post Season Analysis quite yet, but I sure hope everything is on the table, including major personnel changes, when we are going to finish at/near the bottom of the league.  Heck, we've made multiple roster changes in the off-season in the past, even after very successful seasons.  So, I expect some things to happen. 

Obviously, whether or not the fans think guys are hustling, filling their role well, or showing some improvement, it's obvious that we need a lot more people here who can win us a lot more games very soon.  If we have opportunities to bring in better players and ditch guys who we determine are not going to get us where we need to go, then I hope we do that sooner rather than later.   I always hate to see good kids getting pushed out the door, but it's the nature of the beast.  

2 hours ago, Zip44 said:

Can’t start Riak & E-man together. E-man is a 5 & can’t play the 4-spot. His play will be limited his entire career at Akron.

Also, just because 1 scholarship is officially open, don’t be surprised if another transfer or 5th year man is offered scholarship as well. Groce can easily let a player (Patton) know he will not have opportunity to play & suggest transfer elsewhere to play. No scholarship is a guarantee.

I'm not sure why you couldn't.  In the MAC (and heck, sometimes in basketball in general), 4 and 5 seem pretty interchangeable to me.  I could see Riak starting with Olojakpoke coming off the bench (especially given his health issues...they may limit minutes, but that's pure speculation).  

I've admittedly seen nothing more than highlights for Hester, Riak, Jackson, and Toles, so we're just guessing.  

I agree on the potential of someone leaving...I don't think it's a mistake that we have 3 offers out right now.

26 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It will be very interesting to see the roster going into the first game next year.  The nature of D1 basketball indicated we'll lose a scholarship player or two between now and then.  Let's hope it's not someone that would really hurt.

I concur on all points.  

1 hour ago, UAZip0510 said:

I'm not sure why you couldn't.  In the MAC (and heck, sometimes in basketball in general), 4 and 5 seem pretty interchangeable to me.  I could see Riak starting with Olojakpoke coming off the bench (especially given his health issues...they may limit minutes, but that's pure speculation).  

It even goes beyond that.  You'll even see 3 or as many as 4 guards on the floor sometimes. 

After seeing a "3" playing post for us so often this year, I don't know why some people continue to get hung up on plugging guys into each of the traditional 1-5 spots.  Not in the MAC.  Coaches are going to put the guys on the floor who they think can win basketball games.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

After seeing a "3" playing post for us so often this year, I don't know why some people continue to get hung up on plugging guys into each of the traditional 1-5 spots.  Not in the MAC.  Coaches are going to put the guys on the floor who they think can win basketball games.  

As opposed to coaches who put guys on the floor who will lose games.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:54 PM, UAZip0510 said:

Well, here we are.

it's going to be fascinating to watch how the 18-19 team comes together.

Parrish is really the sleeper of the squad.  He, Daniel, and Jimond are going to be super awesome next year.  And hopefully, they won't have to play 35+ minutes per game and will have a couple big players inside who will assist them rather than hinder them.   Occasionally, I would see Jimond telling KLac and Patton where to go and what to do. 

While Big Dog slowed the game down a bit, the guards/forwards never had to tell him where to be, he had those amazing hands especially the final season, didn't make turnovers, and had those eyes that could find the open man. 

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How Hawkins still has a job is beyond me. 

Hawkins is in the mid-major coaching sweet spot.  Good enough to hang on as the university doesn't want to be paying two coaches but not good enough to move on to a bigger job.

See, e.g. Mr. Pinky.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 3

Incredibly excited about next year!  How many months do we have to wait? 8?   Really excited to see how the off-season plays out and who stays and who goes.  If the Big 3 of Ivey, Utomi, and Parrish stay with the Zips along with Sayles that will tell me a lot about Groce and his staff and the confidence the players have in their leadership. 

If I'm guilty of anything that's gotten me in trouble on here it is this:  I am 100% behind John Groce and his staff for now, and I was indifferent about KD's departure. 

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Incredibly excited about next year!  How many months do we have to wait? 8?   Really excited to see how the off-season plays out and who stays and who goes.  If the Big 3 of Ivey, Utomi, and Parrish stay with the Zips along with Sayles that will tell me a lot about Groce and his staff and the confidence the players have in their leadership. 

If I'm guilty of anything that's got me in trouble on here it is this:  I am 100% behind John Groce and his staff for now, and I was indifferent about KD's departure. 

I'm with you, NW.  

I think you're going to like LePear Toles.  Toles' game is a lot like Parrish's game.  Parrish is a bit more athletic, whereas LePear is a better ball handler w/ a better outside shot.  (Keeping in mind it's been two years since I've seen LePear play. Lol.)

10 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

I'm watching TJ Moss closely.  He's a kid that could be a real game-changer for this program.

Speaking of game changers:

I'll repeat some of what I've said recently on this board. 

In the short term, I'm just hoping that Hester immediately becomes that 15 ppg scorer that we will need to replace Duvivier's production.  I believe he's the best talent out of all of the guys who started play with us last year, and will start next year.    

And that Riak can at least equal what we'll get in the paint from Sayles and Poke (if he returns) next year.

If we can get those two things, we'll be a better team.  Then I can move on to hoping that we get a new impact recruit to come here soon.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1