2018-2019

UAZip0510

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wow.  Did not see that.  But it needed to happen.  Not that I saw a ton of WBB here.  More like 4 games in 2 years, so maybe I can’t say that, but seems like they’ve been sliding backwards the past two seasons.

That's about 13% of the players in the DI ranks, if you figure each team has 10-12 players (I multiplied the numbers of teams - 351 - by 11 as the average roster size). 

I would love to see a breakdown of why the players are leaving. I wonder what percentage of the near 500 transfers are transferring because of coaching changes, more exposure/playing time (bigger school to smaller school), etc. 

I don't think transfers are a big deal, largely because these are 18+ year olds that are defined as adults according to society and have full control of their life. I do strongly dislike the transfer rule that forces players to sit out a year. Instead of punishing the young adult for looking to better his situation, what if the NCAA awarded the schools losing players an additional scholarship, on top of the one they would already have open up? A system like this could be modeled after the MLB's Rule 5 Draft (selection team pays $50k to the team losing the player) and restricted free agency in professional sports (draft pick compensation or something like that if an offer is not matched after an initial qualifying offer). 

16 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Might have had a shot at the Ashland coach if it happened earlier. She went to BGSU.

S**t, she would have been a perfect fit for us. That lady knew how to build a program, win and coach. Unfortunately our change was necessary. I look to see the same change in softball. Our program is at an all-time low. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

S**t, she would have been a perfect fit for us. That lady knew how to build a program, win and coach. Unfortunately our change was necessary. I look to see the same change in softball. Our program is at an all-time low. 

Softball recently won a game to improve their record to 2-31-1.   :puke:

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Now that one hurts :unsure:

Yes and no. I was bullish on Parrish right from the start and believe he has a boat-load of potential. So I hate to see him go. However, the timing and nature of this departure tells me Groce is convinced we are better off without him. It might even mean we are close to landing another guard/small forward. What is surprising to me is that Groce is so much quicker at pulling the trigger. So either he has a better understanding of evaluating talent/character, feels the pressure to succeed immediately or both.

• Like 2

This is getting a bit ridiculous and not reflecting well on the program - players or coaches. I certainly don't wish anything bad on the departing players, but I'm not going to "stay tuned." Spare me the thank you notes about growth, etc. when you're leaving after a year. I don't expect Groce's public calling out of the team helped much either. KD pretty much avoided that. Oh well, they are all still kids.

2 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

This is getting a bit ridiculous and not reflecting well on the program - players or coaches. I certainly don't wish anything bad on the departing players, but I'm not going to "stay tuned." Spare me the thank you notes about growth, etc. when you're leaving after a year. I don't expect Groce's public calling out of the team helped much either. KD pretty much avoided that. Oh well, they are all still kids.

Easy there, Chicken Little. There are nearly 500 players at the DI level that have transferred. It says more about how recruiting at this level is changing than it does about our program specifically. Again, Parrish wasn't a Groce recruit. We don't know if he fully bought into the system behind the scenes. We all know about Cotton's issues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

KD has had two players leave this offseason, including a talented freshman and the 3rd leading returning scorer who is getting looks from UConn and Oklahoma to name a few programs. It's just the state of college basketball, IMO.

• Like 2