2018-2019

UAZip0510

Here's an updated look at our roster (please correct me if this is incorrect)...

2018-19

Jackson (5-8)

Hester (6-3)

Roscoe (6-3)

Ivey (6-4)

Cheese (6-4)

Banks (6-5)

Utomi (6-6)

Toles (6-6)

Poke (6-8)

Sayles (6-9)

Riak (6-10)

K-Lac (6-11)

Sitting out: Xeryious Williams (6-9) & Khadim Gueye (7-0)

2019-20

Jackson (5-8)

Hester (6-3)

Roscoe (6-3)

Cheese (6-4)

Banks (6-5)

Utomi (6-6)

Toles (6-6)

Poke (6-8)

Sayles (6-9)

Williams (6-9)

Riak (6-10)

K-Lac (6-11)

Gueye (7-0)

:champs::cheers:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Has anybody heard anything about the new women's head coach search? It's been a month since Kest retired.

Great question!  All I know is that the interim coach -- Jody's assistant the past several years has gotten two or three players to sign or commit since coach Kest resigned/retired.  I wonder if she might be considered.  If I had MY way, the next coach would be this fellow:  http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/02/05/coachs-chair-karl-smesko-florida-gulf-coast-university/  Who is a local boy made good, and the son of the long-time Hudson Explorers boy's bb coach Al Smesko.  Al is a legend in the Suburban League.  Take it from a former Green Bulldog.  Unfortunately, we have exactly ZERO chance of hiring Karl -- he's already turned down USC, which tried to fill up on FGCU coaches a year ago. 

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Great question!  All I know is that the interim coach -- Jody's assistant the past several years has gotten two or three players to sign or commit since coach Kest resigned/retired.  I wonder if she might be considered.  If I had MY way, the next coach would be this fellow:  http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/02/05/coachs-chair-karl-smesko-florida-gulf-coast-university/  Who is a local boy made good, and the son of the long-time Hudson Explorers boy's bb coach Al Smesko.  Al is a legend in the Suburban League.  Take it from a former Green Bulldog.  Unfortunately, we have exactly ZERO chance of hiring Karl -- he's already turned down USC, which tried to fill up on FGCU coaches a year ago. 

I would think if Jackson was going to get the job, they would have signed her by now, but if she is signing recruits that is interesting. Buffalo and CMU definitely raised the bar this year, so that may explain the deliberate search for a coach. I would have expected an announcement before the semester ended, though.

8 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I would think if Jackson was going to get the job, they would have signed her by now, but if she is signing recruits that is interesting. Buffalo and CMU definitely raised the bar this year, so that may explain the deliberate search for a coach. I would have expected an announcement before the semester ended, though.

It could be a situation where Akron is saying, "Show me what you can do," in regards to recruiting. Somewhat of an audition, maybe?

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It could be a situation where Akron is saying, "Show me what you can do," in regards to recruiting. Somewhat of an audition, maybe?

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Later this month or early June is what I am hearing as the timetable for hiring the new coach.

Signing any players without knowing for sure who the head coach is going to be would be a pretty good audition, at least for recruiting skills.

Late May or early June sure seems like a long time for a head coaching search, although Kest's departure did come kind of late. Then again, there is no need to wait until the season ends as BGSU probably had to do with Fralick. According to Wikipedia, "2018–19 season - as of May 8, 2018 there are 41 vacancies or newly filled positions (counting one interim head coach), of which 10 are still vacant." Not sure of their exact source.

I like Larry Williams and hope he proves to be an outstanding AD. But when it comes to our current situation in hiring a women's basketball head coach I hold him responsible for not being ahead of the situation. As last season unfolded everyone in the world knew Jodi had to be replaced. She was neither coaching nor recruiting on a high level. The pipeline of talent to turn the situation around was non existent. 

It was Larry's job to go to her, review her performance and discuss changes. If he waited for her to "think it over" shame on him. That's bad management and leadership. We lost the best coach in Ohio  when BG hired the Ashland women's coach. Larry should have already had back channel contact with her letting her know a change was coming. I've got to believe our resources, vision and future are far better than BG can offer. If she would not come to UA then other candidates should have been identified. Succession planning is one of the most important aspects of any large organization leader. 

The wait we are experiencing now should have been avoided. I hope he still finds a good one.

12 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I like Larry Williams and hope he proves to be an outstanding AD. But when it comes to our current situation in hiring a women's basketball head coach I hold him responsible for not being ahead of the situation. As last season unfolded everyone in the world knew Jodi had to be replaced. She was neither coaching nor recruiting on a high level. The pipeline of talent to turn the situation around was non existent. 

It was Larry's job to go to her, review her performance and discuss changes. If he waited for her to "think it over" shame on him. That's bad management and leadership. We lost the best coach in Ohio  when BG hired the Ashland women's coach. Larry should have already had back channel contact with her letting her know a change was coming. I've got to believe our resources, vision and future are far better than BG can offer. If she would not come to UA then other candidates should have been identified. Succession planning is one of the most important aspects of any large organization leader. 

The wait we are experiencing now should have been avoided. I hope he still finds a good one.

You raise some good points, but this is women's basketball we are talking about here. I hope Mr. Williams finds a great value for the job. No more top of the conference salaries for women's bball.

• Like 2