2018-2019

UAZip0510

Terry Weigand is a great coach, great recruiter and loves the University of Akron.  I think he is  a wonderful candidate.   This program deserves a talented coach like Terry Weigand.  UA can't let this opportunity slip away.

I heard about two or three weeks ago that Larry Williams will not begin interviewing until sometime after June 10.   

Putting everything I'm reading together, it seems like Terry really wants the job and the interest isn't mutual, at least as of yet. Reports of him emerging as a strong candidate seems to be a bit misleading.

Edited by LZIp

17 hours ago, LZIp said:

Putting everything I'm reading together, it seems like Terry really wants the job and the interest isn't mutual, at least as of yet. Reports of him emerging as a strong candidate seems to be a bit misleading.

I just think the UA Board will not allow Williams to move on anything until Jodi Kest is off the books.   There seems to be mutual interest.

21 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Side note. I know scheduling is a big topic around here, and it looks like Saul is going to give himself every opportunity to save his job in Athens.

Highlights for OU...

- At Xavier this upcoming season

- Possibly a tournament in Jamaica with Georgetown as a confirmed opponent (field yet to be announced)

- At Purdue this upcoming season 

- Purdue AT THE CONVO the following season?!

Who do we have confirmed outside of the Cayman Islands tourney?

P.S. Sorry for plugging Kitty Attack. I frequent as a non-registered guest often, though, as they are the second best fan board in the MAC and typically have some good nuggets. Plus, I especially like to see their fan base in disarray over the state of their program currently. 

We have a young team that finished 11th in the MAC last season. Racing to 20 losses isn't the way for us to rebuild our program. These young kids need to build confidence. Losing by 30 to (insert blue blood) won't do that. We should look to schedule tougher when we have a team that is capable of actually making those games interesting.

Just now, kreed5120 said:

We have a young team that finished 11th in the MAC last season. Racing to 20 losses isn't the way for us to rebuild our program. These young kids need to build confidence. Losing by 30 to (insert blue blood) won't do that. We should look to schedule tougher when we have a team that is capable of actually making those games interesting.

My apologies if I was unclear with my post. I wasn't suggesting that the Zips schedule like that in the present, but rather what a schedule could and should look like in a couple years once we re-establish ourselves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Akron1 said:

I just think the UA Board will not allow Williams to move on anything until Jodi Kest is off the books.   There seems to be mutual interest.

Huh? Kest resigned. Williams is free to start the hiring process. The board has absolutely nothing to do with this transition except for directing we get a better coach and stop the bleeding. The women's program is a dumpster fire.

15 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Huh? Kest resigned. Williams is free to start the hiring process. The board has absolutely nothing to do with this transition except for directing we get a better coach and stop the bleeding. The women's program is a dumpster fire.

My understanding is Kest will officially retire as of June 30 and due to budget reasons the interview process cannot begin until around mid June.  This information could be wrong, but wanted to share what I heard.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My apologies if I was unclear with my post. I wasn't suggesting that the Zips schedule like that in the present, but rather what a schedule could and should look like in a couple years once we re-establish ourselves. 

Why should it take a couple more years to re-establish ourselves? We made it to Cleveland last year with two hands tied behind our back. I'd expect to be playing on Friday night at The Q this season, and I'd give us a puncher's chance against any "major" opponent this year...at least as much of a puncher's chance as any MAC program would have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akron1 said:

My understanding is Kest will officially retire as of June 30 and due to budget reasons the interview process cannot begin until around mid June.  This information could be wrong, but wanted to share what I heard.

If this is true, it certainly doesn't seem to say much about the financial state of the athletic department or lay a foundation to give candidates and recruits much confidence in the program's resources. We're not talking about paying off a coach with a year or two left on their contract. It's only a couple of months overlap.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Why should it take a couple more years to re-establish ourselves? We made it to Cleveland last year with two hands tied behind our back. I'd expect to be playing on Friday night at The Q this season, and I'd give us a puncher's chance against any "major" opponent this year...at least as much of a puncher's chance as any MAC program would have.

You're absolutely correct, which is why when I said a couple of years, I was referring to the scheduling aspect - not the re-establishment. Not this upcoming season, but the following season, I expect to see a schedule similar to OU's (maybe not the home game against Purdue). I need to work on better wording and clarity in my posts apparently. :tomato: Haha. 

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

once again, we are talking about women's bball here.

:lol:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

I'm not even trying to be a prick. I enjoyed watching and following the good Kest teams. The reality is that it is not a popular sport and we don't have the luxury from a financial perspective to make a serious commitment to it, so I'm just fine cutting corners where they can be cut.

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm fine cutting corners as well. I just don't understand why they wouldn't be able to start the coaching search and begin the interview process now. Its not like an offer letter couldn't be written to have a July 1st start date if that's what the hold up is.

Exactly.  With every day that passes the new coach is further hampered in recruiting and preparing for next season.  No reason you can't interview and figure out who the coach will be with an effective date down the line.  Any chance there's an inside candidate already in line for the job?   

Maybe they're looking for one person to coach women's basketball and men's baseball.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Exactly.  With every day that passes the new coach is further hampered in recruiting and preparing for next season.  No reason you can't interview and figure out who the coach will be with an effective date down the line.  Any chance there's an inside candidate already in line for the job?   

Maybe they're looking for one person to coach women's basketball and men's baseball.

:lol:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That could be the trend, considering that they hired as the basketball SID, the guy who had been an assistant baseball coach!  Seems he is biding his time there until the program is resurrected.

https://deadspin.com/conference-usa-is-completely-revamping-its-conference-s-1826386373

ext season, C-USA’s men’s basketball schedule will look nothing like that of any other Division I conference. Instead of releasing a hard-set regular season conference schedule, C-USA will seed its teams after the opening 14 games of the conference slate. The conference will then face its best teams off against one another over the next four games, with the end goal of placing multiple teams in the NCAA tournament and securing higher seeds for those teams. It’s the old “iron sharpens iron” adage, basically, with some added strength-of-schedule boost built in.

24 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Fascinating. 

I could see this extending to conference partnerships - i.e. CUSA's top 4 or 5 playing the MAC's top 4 or 5 to close out the season (makeshift Bracketbuster essentially). 

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Fascinating. 

I could see this extending to conference partnerships - i.e. CUSA's top 4 or 5 playing the MAC's top 4 or 5 to close out the season (makeshift Bracketbuster essentially). 

I like the idea and I like yours even better. I have never liked the MAC as a conference to grow in. But it is the best for us now and into the foreseeable future. So how do we make it better? We do what C-USA is doing. We play the conference members who want to be at the top. By doing this the MAC instantly becomes a better conference for us provided we accept the challenge of being in the top tier. I would love to see this happen.

• Like 1